NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Default Fake D304 on ebay- heads up

Posted By: leon

I don't post too many of these but when I see an auction that looks like it could have legitimate bidders then I feel I should say something. If it helps someone then it is worth it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1911-D304-BUTTER-KRUST-CHIEF-MEYERS-VINTAGE-CARD_W0QQitemZ130226022911

Old 06-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Shawn Chambers

Hey Leon,

I'm very ignorant when it comes to this series (as well as lots of other things!)...

What is the most obvious giveaway with this one? I always like to learn ways to spot fakes.

Shawn

Old 06-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Good eye Leon. I bought a couple of these fakes about twelve years ago at a show. I don't think the dealer was aware either. Robert Adesso kindly pointed the problem out to me. The darker (rather than green) ink on the back and the slightly smaller size are two giveaways.
JimB

Old 06-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

just got removed...

Old 06-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Recently a fraud program was announced on ebay where they are enlisting some members to be "expert informants" for lack of knowing what they call it exactly. A few days ago that program was posted on this board. I got 2 emails from ebay today asking to remove the thread as it is confidential information and should not have been posted publicly. They also said the Net54 member who posted it said that they agreed and would edit it all out this evening. With all of that being said I deemed this an extraordinary situation and deleted the 2 post thread. I also told the 2 folks from ebay about this bad auction. That is the reason it got removed....I am happy about that......

Shawn- as Jim said the lettering was wrong.....and I too, about 8-9 yrs ago, bought one of these fakes...so learned the hard way....to me it was the cream/brown colored borders that matched the uniform that did it...and the card just didn't "look" right....

Old 06-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: AndyH

Did anyone happen to save a image of this card so that we might be able to compare it to a real one. I always appreciate a good comparison with explanation by the experts on the board.

Thanks,

Andy

Old 06-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: B D

the card was NOT pulled for being fake but for not being certified*
The seller showed me the details of the note he received.

BcD

Old 06-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Administrator

By ebay saying it had to be certified was the easy way for them to pull it...Kudos to ebay for that one...I don't really care what they say to the seller as long as it got pulled and no one got scammed. I am confident this card will not end up in a legit holder.....

edited to add...I am not sure this was a scam as much as the seller might not have known it was fake...

Old 06-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim

In the future once a card like this has been deemed a fake by the experts on the board could the picture be grabbed and posted from the listing? And if not then at a later time a scan of an authentic card could be listed and everyone not familiar with the subtle or obvious differences can learn from them.

A lot of these threads get posted and before members have time to view them, the listings get pulled and the links become useless.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Administrator

This auction won't be pulled as it's being sold the correct way. The auction that got pulled, and many of the fake D304's we see, will have erasure marks on the back lower right corner where the word "reprint" is....Hope this helps a little...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1911-D304-GENERAL-BAKING-REPRINT-SET-WAGNER-COBB-YOUNG_W0QQitemZ200229438097