NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 10-11-2015, 10:48 AM
Brian clif.ford

Default Hard to find Hall Of famer autographs

I've always wondered, which baseball hall of famer is the hardest to find a legit autograph? Are there any players who we have no known autographs of?
Old 10-11-2015, 11:18 AM
Banned

there are some that have very few, a handful of examples at best, there are also a few examples, like addie joss, that have 1 or 2 examples, and there may be a couple that have none, depending on who you ask, like rube waddell , depends on whether or not you accept the examples that are out there as legitimate. but definitely there are some very scarce autographs of a few hall of famers that make putting together a full set almost impossible.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:46 AM
Al

for those that collect hof autographs, knowing that it is impossible to collect an entire complete set of hofers, does that dissuade you from collecting hof autographs? i ask because i collect hof autographs and i always think, what the point, ill never have a "complete" set. what motivates you to collect hofers in particular? also, to answer the OP, i think there are a at least a good 25-30 players that are impossible to find. i thought i once saw a list somewhere here of those impossible hof signers. not sure where i saw it. il ltry to find it.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:51 AM
Brian clif.ford

Yea if anyone knows of an article or anything like that on the subject, I'd love to read it. If I were collecting them, I wouldn't let that get me down. Still so many that you can get and every year theres more added usually.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:00 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Default PSA Ranking

PSA Ranks them based on mixture of price and scarcity on a level from 1-10, with 52 unranked simply because they are so scarce. I would recommend taking this with a grain of salt.

Jesse Burkett is a 9 and Jack Chesbro is a 10, and i have seen a total of 2 combined autographs of theirs in the last few years that I would call legit, while Barney Dreyfuss is unranked and I know he is around and not as scarce as other unranked individuals-or Jack Chesbro for that matter.

http://www.psacard.com/dnasetregistr...tion.aspx?c=37
Old 10-11-2015, 04:11 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Let me offer my opinion.. Some of you are familiar with my opinion and my autograph collection especially tazdmb. I have 297 HoFer autographs,of which I am confident in 280-285 of them. I started 30 years ago and bought only from a handful of reputable dealers or auction houses, many signatures were obtained long before TPAs entered the game and began to muddy the waters in both good and bad ways . I am not aware of anybody near me in numbers of HoFer autographs.
It is IMPOSSIBLE to get a full set because of the lack of any known signatures of 3-5 inductees, as well as the cost of acquisition of the rarest 20-25 signatures , the preponderance of forgeries , the demand for a TPA from companies that make obvious mistakes but yet are held in high esteem by the majority of HoFer signature collectors who I am sorry to say have NO CLUE what they are doing or buying when looking into the last 35-40 signatures because they don't do their due diligence or research and rely solely on the TPA; and finally the numbers of signatures available of many rare HoFers can't supply the demand for that signature.
For example I own, as many of you know , the only verifiable Addie Joss ( the one in Ron's book). Plus I own several HoHer autographs of which there are less than 5 known examples. So no matter how many HoFer autograph collectors there are there will never be enough signatures of some to fill the demands of the number of collectors.
I believe anything over 250 is a commendable collection and 275 is museum worthy .
These numbers may change as more people slowly liquidate their collections.
Also look at the Veteran's Committee this year .
Bill Dahlen exists but Harry Stovey , Chris Von Der Ahe are near impossible to find. I have been looking for Doc Adams since 1989 with nothing to show for it and money is not an object in most cases. So I have 9 of the 10 nominated this year but how many collectors have even 5 of the 10...that is why no one will ever complete the HoFer autograph set because of the sheer scarcity and potential cost of the rarest signatures.it is harder to complete than the Declaration of Independence signers of which I believe examples exist of all signers, but is near impossible to get even with its smaller numbers is signatures needed.
The wise HoF autograph collector goes into this knowing he will never complete the set but it never discourages them for whatever reason, and it never did me either . I have accepted the fact that I am where I am unless something fortuitous occurs . Also what makes this collection interesting is that it is not a static list it potentially changes every year, and every 3 years on the Pre integration list .
I totally agree with tazdmb... the PSA ranking system needs to be taken with a grain of salt. In fact I will say that it is way off base in its rankings.

Last edited by Klrdds; 10-11-2015 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Added comment