NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 12-25-2016, 12:33 AM
Larry

Default new HOF "impact/era" ballot

Does Mark McGwire make the HOF as a candidate on the new "impact/era" ballot recently introduced? Will all essentially be forgiven?

Tell us what you think!

Best wishes,

Larry
Old 12-25-2016, 04:59 AM

Since they voted the first week in December and McGwire didn't get in, I say no. If you are asking will he ever get in, I say look at Joe Jackson, 80 years and still waiting. I don't see the dopers getting in.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:30 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Since they voted the first week in December and McGwire didn't get in, I say no. If you are asking will he ever get in, I say look at Joe Jackson, 80 years and still waiting. I don't see the dopers getting in.
I would say there is enough dopers already in to field a few full teams. If you are just talking steroids then there IMHO already enough to field at least one full team.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I would say there is enough dopers already in to field a few full teams. If you are just talking steroids then there IMHO already enough to field at least one full team.
I guess you know more than everyone else. I don't know of any. I just deal in facts, not rumors or speculation.
Old 12-25-2016, 03:01 PM
Ben North

Quote:
I guess you know more than everyone else. I don't know of any. I just deal in facts, not rumors or speculation.
I guarantee you are also dealing is rumors and speculation. Unless the player was popped or admitted to usage we will never know for sure. I highly doubt any that did are going to say "yes I done that".

My speculation is based on several years of personal usage so I know what they really do. While I done them I thought they were the best things ever invented. Now because of over usage when I was much younger I am a broken down middle aged man who has a hard time walking down my steps in the morning.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I guarantee you are also dealing is rumors and speculation. Unless the player was popped or admitted to usage we will never know for sure. I highly doubt any that did are going to say "yes I done that".

My speculation is based on several years of personal usage so I know what they really do. While I done them I thought they were the best things ever invented. Now because of over usage when I was much younger I am a broken down middle aged man who has a hard time walking down my steps in the morning.
How is saying that I don't know any rumor or speculation? It is a fact!!!!!! Unless you can provide facts that I don't know, you are only speculating.

So, I am waiting for names and facts. If there is a full team according to you, that shouldn't be a problem.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:35 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
Does Mark McGwire make the HOF as a candidate on the new "impact/era" ballot recently introduced? Will all essentially be forgiven?

Tell us what you think!

Best wishes,

Larry
I tend to think he won't, at least not for awhile. Bonds and Clemens will probably be the only known roid guys who get in any time soon, and they only because they were HOF'ers regardless if they retired at age 35 or juiced and put up their best seasons as they did.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:27 AM
Peter Spaeth

Clemens, in his last four seasons in Boston when he should have been in his absolute prime (age 30-33), went 40-39 with a god awful ERA. This wasn't just a guy who had an off year. He had completely lost his dominance. I don't think you will find many Red Sox fans who believe his remarkable turnaround from that point is due to anything except PEDs.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-26-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Clemens, in his last four seasons in Boston when he should have been in his absolute prime (age 30-33), went 40-39 with a god awful ERA. This wasn't just a guy who had an off year. He had completely lost his dominance. I don't think you will find many Red Sox fans who believe his remarkable turnaround from that point is due to anything except PEDs.
I think the argument would be that he had 3 Cy Youngs, a 2nd and 3rd and a MVP Award before he started doping in Toronto. Even though he only had 192 wins, he had an ERA+ of 144 and a WAR of 81. That is much better than Bonds who only had 2 MVPs, 176 HRs and a WAR of 50 prior to doping in SF.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I think the argument would be that he had 3 Cy Youngs, a 2nd and 3rd and a MVP Award before he started doping in Toronto. Even though he only had 192 wins, he had an ERA+ of 144 and a WAR of 81. That is much better than Bonds who only had 2 MVPs, 176 HRs and a WAR of 50 prior to doping in SF.
What year are you assuming Bonds started?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:32 PM
Jeff

That's precisely the thing Peter, we don't.
They forfeited all favorable conjecture IMO as well.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 12-26-2016, 05:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
And it should have been 4 Cy Youngs. 1990 he was 21-6 1.93, and they give it to Bob Welch whose ERA was as I recall a full run higher.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:11 PM
Robert D. Hysell

Ok, I saw a show with Willie McCovey on it & he doesn"t back B.BONDS like W.MAYS does, say ,"he has never seen a drug/pill make a Baseball player?" I don"t care if your Superman or the Hulk,if you cant play or even hit the ball,how good can you be?Here is the fact in this sport, your a real good player if you fail 70% of the time?So if so easy to do?WHY are you or me not playing MLB baseball & you can put those great {NOT} HOFer voters on this LONGGGG list, also in the HOF?It"s a sport,these guys give up there bodys to play these sports?HOW many steroids & drugs are in our food ,right now? Do you think a turkey can reach 25 to 30 pounds in just under a years time?PLEASE,Robert.

Last edited by hysell; 12-31-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:46 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
His last 4 seasons in Boston he was 8th in MLB in fWAR ,29th in ERA with 3.77 and 16th in MLB in FIP with 3.69, he was still a really good pitcher. Tho, it's fairly obvious that around 96-97 he began PED's because from age 34-41 he was one of the 3 or 4 best pitchers in baseball which just doesn't happen .Player's don't have two peaks to their careers.

Quote:
That is much better than Bonds who only had 2 MVPs, 176 HRs and a WAR of 50 prior to doping in SF.
wut? Most evidence points to Bonds starting ,at the earliest, around 1996 (statistically the big change appears around 1998/1999) but giving you the benefit of the doubt of 1996, between 1986-1996 Bonds had posted 81.8 WAR, 334 HR, 380 SB, a slash line of .288/.404/.548 , following a normal decline Bonds was going to be a 500 HR club member and post over 100 career WAR ,still making him a first ballot HOF type.

I condemn his PED use as much as anyone, but he was easily the best player of his generation and an easy HOF'er before using (which, makes it even more pathetic) but is why he and Clemens will get voted in either this year or next.