NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-05-2013, 04:17 PM
Rob
R0bert Ge,ntieu

Default Help with 1973 Topps Mike Schmidt blank-backed proof/promo card - See photo

Any collectors ever come across or own a 1973 Topps Schmidt proof/promo card? I have the opportunity to purchase the card pictured below but I'm not sure if it's authentic. From what I understand, the proofs are quite rare.

Have not seen it in person, but the seller says it is blank-backed. As you can see the black ink is missing from the front. Any comments as to authenticity/value?

Thanks in advance.
Rob

Old 04-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Al Richter

Default Proofs

I personally would not buy it unless he has COA from Topps Vault. Is your goal strictly a collectible or an investment ?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Marty

Fairly interesting - I would tend to think that a fraudster would not pick a blank back no black printing on the front card to counterfeit - but nowadays who knows? If it were a fake - seems this would have had to have been copied from an original no black proof - probably only one or two of those in the world, and being unique it would add a lot more scrutiny to a card like this - harder to slip by an unsuspecting buyer, I would think. And it's not like they could print up 100 of these - once a few started floating around, serious collectors would know something was up.

I certainly would want to see a high res front and back scan before considering it.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:22 PM
Rob
R0bert Ge,ntieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I personally would not buy it unless he has COA from Topps Vault. Is your goal strictly a collectible or an investment ?
Not really sure at this point. I was offered the card as part of a larger deal but turned it down, for now, due to lack of information. I'm not a big collector of card oddities, so it probably wouldn't stay in my collection for long.

Thanks!
Rob
Old 04-08-2013, 10:23 PM

I've had Topps progression proofs, including 1973 football, obtained from the 1989 Guernsey Topps Vaults Auction where the proof was missing the front black text and border and was blank backed. It was also on a thinner, white stock. So the general design of the Schmidt is consistent with a genuine Topps proof.

Last edited by drc; 04-08-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I agree. I have a couple of "proofs" that are probably legit, but didn't pay much for them. I also have some from Topps Vault.

That Schmidt would be easy to fake and pass off as a proof for big bucks perhaps to a Schmidt collector