NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-30-2024, 04:40 PM
P@trick R.omolo

I never thought it was going to take over 7 years but I finally found the last subject on this dual plate scratch sheet.

When I found the Bresnahan scratch back in November 2016 that left only one unconfirmed plate scratch subject from the two different (same scratch) sheets.

The missing subject was the scratch that matches O'leary to complete all the subjects on both sheets

0 Sheet 1B - Copy.jpg

0 Sheet 1A.jpg

The final subject and match to the O'Leary scratches is Red Dooin

Sheet [A-B] X Large updated - Copy.jpg
img114.jpg
img115.jpg

Sheet [A-B] X Large updated.jpg
img120.jpg
img121.jpg
Old 01-30-2024, 05:32 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Fantastic research Pat.

My math:
1 7/16 = 1.4375 inches
2 5/8 = 2.625 inches
17 cards x 1.4375in = 24.4375in + presumable border spacing
12 cards x 2.625in = 31.5in + presumable border spacing

We know that at least some 1910 T card sheets for the same client were ~51x~34. Interesting parallels here when we adjust for the sheet border beyond the cards.
Old 01-30-2024, 06:21 PM

The fact that you can even see or find these scratches, Patrick, let alone use them to assemble a possible sheet layout, is fascinating to me. Excellent research!
Old 01-30-2024, 08:23 PM
Sonny Tutor

Wow!!! 7 years!!! That’s absolutely relentless research Pat. Well done!!! Your knowledge of the set is inspiring…congratulations on finding the missing link. And thank you for sharing.
Old 01-30-2024, 09:16 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Amazing research Pat, thank you. It's overwhelming the amount of time and effort you've put into this, truly impressive and so important to the history of baseball cards.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-

Last edited by Casey2296; 01-30-2024 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-31-2024, 04:25 AM
James M.

Pat,

Fantastic research. I scanned through this thread in it's entirety, and its nice to see a seven year journey come to a close, with a satisfying result! Reading the old posts from Ted, makes me think that he would have loved this as well. Have a great day.

- James

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 01-31-2024, 04:57 AM

Well done Pat.

Do my eyes deceive or were all of the subjects based on Carl Horner studio photos printed on the outskirts of the sheets? That seems a strange quirk.
Old 01-31-2024, 07:08 AM
Steve Birmingham

I imagine you've already done this, but it looks like Dooin was printed earlier since the scratch and the other flaw on that last one are more strongly printed.
The weaker one may be from wear to the stone.

Have you sorted the pairs by how clear the scratches are?

That would probably give us a clear picture of which one of the pair was plate A and which was plate B.

I'm still thinking the shorter one in the middle belongs to the right of the sheet.

Having two clear layouts for P150 is incredibly impressive.
Old 01-31-2024, 09:53 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
The fact that you can even see or find these scratches, Patrick, let alone use them to assemble a possible sheet layout, is fascinating to me. Excellent research!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stutor View Post
Wow!!! 7 years!!! That’s absolutely relentless research Pat. Well done!!! Your knowledge of the set is inspiring…congratulations on finding the missing link. And thank you for sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Amazing research Pat, thank you. It's overwhelming the amount of time and effort you've put into this, truly impressive and so important to the history of baseball cards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Pat,

Fantastic research. I scanned through this thread in it's entirety, and its nice to see a seven year journey come to a close, with a satisfying result! Reading the old posts from Ted, makes me think that he would have loved this as well. Have a great day.

- James
Chuck, Sonny, Phil, and James, thank you for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
Well done Pat.

Do my eyes deceive or were all of the subjects based on Carl Horner studio photos printed on the outskirts of the sheets? That seems a strange quirk.
Hey Scot, I have mentioned it in some of the other plate scratch threads that there are some odd layouts of the portraits on all of the sheets. Some of the sheets have them on the ends while one sheet has all four portraits together in the middle of the sheet and If I have the layouts correct on one of the dual plate scratch sheets all the portraits on one sheet and all of the action poses are on another sheet.
This is an older image and Boweman is a confirmed scratch next to Young on the middle right image which matches up with the Wagner strip.
Plate Scratch Sheet Fronts Group.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Fantastic research Pat.

My math:
1 7/16 = 1.4375 inches
2 5/8 = 2.625 inches
17 cards x 1.4375in = 24.4375in + presumable border spacing
12 cards x 2.625in = 31.5in + presumable border spacing

We know that at least some 1910 T card sheets for the same client were ~51x~34. Interesting parallels here when we adjust for the sheet border beyond the cards.
Hey Greg, I think one of the difficulties with the research of the T sheets is the probability that in many cases there were different sheet sizes used within some of the sets.

There are bigger plate scratch sheets than this one and there is also no way to tell if the layout of this sheet is complete there could be missing scratches from this sheet (I think this is unlikely) or the scratch could have stopped before the end of the sheet (definitely possible).

I should also mention that on this dual sheet plus the one other dual plate scratch sheet the selection of which sheet each subject goes on is speculation on my part based on past research and my knowledge of the set.

I'm very confident on this sheet based on few things. One fact is that each scratch has a Sweet Caporal 150 factory 649 subject that matches up with a non 649 subject. Another fact is that Brian W has the 649 Sheckard/Goode side miscut and they are also linked together with the plate scratches. Although it's just speculation I think there's a very high probability that the 649 subjects were on one PD150 sheet and the non 649 subjects were on another PD150 sheet.

The other dual sheet has 10 (if you consider Schulte part of this group which I personally do) 150 only subjects connected by plate scratches starting on the left (front) of the sheet. (that's the middle two sheets in the image that I posted below where I relied to Scot".
Old 01-31-2024, 10:04 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I imagine you've already done this, but it looks like Dooin was printed earlier since the scratch and the other flaw on that last one are more strongly printed.

That would probably give us a clear picture of which one of the pair was plate A and which was plate B.

I'm still thinking the shorter one in the middle belongs to the right of the sheet.

Hey Steve,

I think at least in some cases it has to do with the inking. I have seen with the same subject/scratch with bold and weak scratches, I will see if I can find and post a couple of examples.

I know that you and a couple of other people have questioned if the shorter scratch belongs on the end one of the longer scratches. I disagree for several reasons but I could be wrong.
Old 01-31-2024, 12:17 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
Hey Steve,

I think at least in some cases it has to do with the inking. I have seen with the same subject/scratch with bold and weak scratches, I will see if I can find and post a couple of examples.

I know that you and a couple of other people have questioned if the shorter scratch belongs on the end one of the longer scratches. I disagree for several reasons but I could be wrong.
The same one with different strengths would probably eliminate that idea. Which is sort of unfortunate. That alignment with the 649 Ops is probably the better path.

I've been trying to think of a way it could be proven, but can't come up with anything likely.
I think if either end of that short scratch ends somewhere off the card, there would be a neighbor card with the actual end visible if it's on it's own. If those end on the card, then I'd think they belong pretty much as placed.

It's one of those ones where I would be somewhat happy to be wrong because it would mean that the sheet layouts might in fact be complete base on the size.
Old 01-31-2024, 02:12 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:

Quote:
The same one with different strengths would probably eliminate that idea. Which is sort of unfortunate. That alignment with the 649 Ops is probably the better path.

I've been trying to think of a way it could be proven, but can't come up with anything likely.
I think if either end of that short scratch ends somewhere off the card, there would be a neighbor card with the actual end visible if it's on it's own. If those end on the card, then I'd think they belong pretty much as placed.

It's one of those ones where I would be somewhat happy to be wrong because it would mean that the sheet layouts might in fact be complete base on the size.
You could be right about clearer and weaker scratches Steve. I had posted all of the "main" scratch pairs starting in post #70 and all of the non 649 subjects have the bolder scratches than the 649 subjects with every pair with the possible exception of the Griffith/Turner in post #70 where the Griffith looks to be slightly bolder than the Turner. However you can see in post #84 that there is a much bolder scratch on a scan of Liebhardt I have compared to the Liebhardt that I own.

Last edited by Pat R; 01-31-2024 at 02:18 PM.