NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-11-2009, 11:17 AM

Default Exclusively Pre-War?

Hello everybody,

Sometimes I feel a bit out of place on the boards I go to because I collect a little bit of everything. For a couple of years, I was exclusively pre-war. However, as budgets have tightened, I have started to focus on my real baseball love: The Modern Baltimore Orioles. Recently I have been dabbling in issues like Topps Venezuelan, OPC, minor league Ripken's and even some *gasp* "shiny" stuff. I actually feel a bit rejuvenated in the hobby! How many of you are exclusively 100% pre-war or do we have some others who collect a little bit of everything?

James
Old 07-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default to each their own

Collect what makes ya' happy, of course. Personally, I collect everything Pre-1950......so if a neat 1949 type card pops up I am all over it...All collecting is good collecting....
Old 07-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Barry Arnold

Default pre-war

it took me a long time to allow myself to buy anything beyond 1911, but with
my 'type' collecting, I actually have 5 or so favorites from the 20's and early
30's. I have several from 1912-1916---not exactly post-war, though.
i'm prewar through and through. I don't even watch the modern baseball games now---I find myself much preferring watching The Jackie Robinson Story or Gehrig's great movie or listening to the greats via Ritter's classic.
Still, to each his own

best,
barry
Old 07-11-2009, 11:37 AM
R Dixon

Default As for me

I buy whatever I feel like with no real structure. Last week I bought a T210 and a 1971 Rod Carew. I try to stay out of Wal-Mart, but when I can't, I always buy a pack of cards. A couple of months ago at a local show, I bought a 1988 Topps Rickey Henderson for a buck. My next purchase was a T206 Ty Cobb. I love them all.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Joe Drouillard

Default collecting preferences

I enjoy collecting T-206s, but I also have completed Topps sets from the 1970s and 1980s. I also have a complete set of Topps 1961. I don't think that I would collect any issues newer than 1984, but I sometimes will buy a pack of cards just to rekindle the excitement that I experienced as a boy cracking open a fresh pack.

Best wishes,

Joe
Old 07-11-2009, 12:27 PM

I like Pre-War and Post-War stuff. The Post-War odd balls are neat (Kelloggs to Armour Coins) and I actually prefer more modern photographs to Pre-War. Some of my favorite non-sport photos I've owned were from the 1990s and later-- though it is hard to beat a nice vintage Walter Johnson or Ty Cobb photo.

I don't collect then, but I'll admit that I think that some of the modern shiny insert cards are neat. The printing technology alone that goes into some of them is cutting edge and often patented.

I suspect most members here like post war stuff and non-sport stuff, but don't normally post about it here, as it's primarily a Pre-War sports board.

Though there is worthy reason there is a board devoted to Pre-War baseball cards-- lots of cards have come after, but the T206s, Turkey Reds and N173s have yet to to be topped.

Last edited by drc; 07-11-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Bob Pomilla

I'm a team collector (Dodgers aka Superbas, Robin, et al) so my collection spans the years, though with all the sets produced in recent years, I've pretty much given up on the newer stuff and focus mainly on the 60's and earlier.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Keith Willis

Like everyone says , collect what you like. You shouldnt feel out of place because all collections are different but we all share the love of collecting. I am not very focused but am getting better...LOL . I collect some pre-war things plus am working on a 1953 and 1960 Topps sets . I do collect some modern because it gets my Fiancee involved . She loves to pull the autographed and jersey and numbered cards.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Ken Wirt

I'm a HOF collector, so my collection spans all eras. That's what I like about it. Also, you never are completely finished - always new inductees, even from prewar times.

My HOF set:

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s290/triwak/

Last edited by triwak; 07-11-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Rhett Yeakley

I also collect quite a bit, and have a decent post-war collection, as well as hockey and more recently I have been getting more into non-sports stuff. I am at the VERY early stages of going for a N-card type collection N1 all the way up to N694+. It has been kind of fun because while some stuff is quite exensive, there are also many issues in there that can be had for a few bucks each, ask yourself how many 19th century baseball cards you can buy for less than $10. Regardless, collecting is fun and you can't blame yourself for enjoying a different era than anyone else.

-Rhett

I also still buy "shiny" packs when I'm at Target but I usually limit myself to Topps Heritage b/c I'm really only buying them for the gum.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 07-11-2009, 06:13 PM

While the majority of my collection is pre-war, my Sox type collection extends to 1969.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Though Prewar is King., I have several postwar vintage (Robinson, Paige, Dimagg, Williams, G Howe, B Orr, Mantle) that I enjoy and a few modern rookies (Jeter, Rivera, Ripken, Bird, MJ, Lemieux) to perhaps one day pique the grandkids interest.

Last edited by Ladder7; 07-12-2009 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:09 AM
M@rk Lu7z

Default Mark_VL

When I was a kid, I collected Topps cards (with a few Post Cereal / Jellos). Since I still have a lot of those cards and still like them, they are an important part of my collection. But since I'm not adding to my post-war accumulation, I am not collecting them that sense.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:05 AM
Steve Murray

As my pre-war interest begins to wane, due to lack of availability of what I collect or cost, I move forward in time.

Right now I'm working on a 53 Topps set and need six cards to re-complete my 59 Topps set.

I have the collector gene so there will always be an interest in collecting something be it pre-war, post-war, non-sports, or whatever.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:37 AM
Scott

Default mixing it up

i agree, i like to mix it up too...

Love the E90-1 Set, 1914 Cracker jacks, T201 and

anything 2001 Pujols......i have been saying for 7 years now that i think Pujols is an all-time great and now some are agreeing (bill James)....
Old 07-12-2009, 07:08 AM
Jason

Default A little bit of everything

Pre-war and post war alike...too many opportunities to spend my money.
baseball, basketball, football, oh my
Old 07-12-2009, 07:15 AM
Marc S.

Default I dabble in both

pre-war helps me understand the history. Post-war, some of the shiny stuff gets me excited about Phillies prospects, and in the general post-war, there are some really cool esoteric Topps test issuues that are fun for a Phillies collector. [Topps Comics, Candy Lids, etc.]

m
Old 07-12-2009, 12:43 PM
David McDonald

Default Exclusively pre-WW3

Main interest now is pre-WW1 baseball but have a number of 30's and '50's BB, football and hockey sets, even some early Upper Deck sets and will occasionally bust a pack of one of the various heritage sets just for old time's sake. Also collect Mutoscope girlie cards and random non-sports stuff that tickles my fancy.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:31 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Main interest is Pre-War mostly between years 1909-1935 ish. I just really like the issues during these years and so many of the all time greats carears span this time-frame.

Occasionally I find myself buying a shiny card to two. I keep those now exclusively to RC's, usually signed RC's, of good young players in the game now (Especially Yankee prospects). However, I'm also really trying to cut down on these buys too. I also will occasionally buy a RC of an 60's 70's 80's or 90's player or old Mickey Mantle for cheap if I want one.

I don't really make any rules for myself. Definatley collecting what you like is the best way to go....
I am always trending towards more and more prewar exclusivity though with the occasional sidetrack purchase....

Nothing beats the old stuff
(I'm currently taking a needed break from collecting but feel the itch starting to creep back. It's been a bad year for the farms in the NorthEast so far. I haven't had time for much else but work lately.....Probably by September I'll be back in full swing.) Still no luck on the D381's

Last edited by yanksfan09; 07-12-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default My cut off is 1980

Anything after that I have but don't actively collect. Just didn't seem right to throw them away. I actively collect some 1970s sets, oddball postwar stuff, and key players from various 1950s-1960s sets.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-12-2009, 06:34 PM

Everything I have is from 1909-1919 and 1935-1939, but as a set collector I have lately started to once again assemble sets from the 50's. Absolutely nothing from after 1959 though, this time I hold the line!
Old 07-13-2009, 11:49 AM

My 7 year old son is going to get me into the shiny stuff real soon.

He likes looking at the Pre 1970 stuff, but always comes back to "How many Payton Manning cards do you have dad" or "Where is Albert Pujols"?

So I suspect over the next 10 years, I'll be starting a modern card collection of some sorts, in addition to the older stuff.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Scott Mt. Joy

I'm somewhat split-

I collect a lot of pre-war, exhibits, M101-4/5, E93, zeenuts, etc

But I also have a nice master set collection of Clementes, 1962-63 exhibits stat back and 1969 Nasico Team Flakes
Old 07-13-2009, 02:38 PM

Greetings all. I am new to the Board.

I have an interest in pre-war collecting, but most of my focus is on post-war cards. I have found this Board and its predecessor to be a wealth of information for someone new to the hobby.

I have not had much of a reason to post, since my knowledge base is limited and interests include more than pre-war.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:15 PM

I collect by type now both pre and post war...(I saw Leon's and several other board members collection on this site and I got hooked!) and only collect what I like instead of trying to get every issue or variation. I think right now its about even in terms of breakdown pre to post. Sometimes I focus on prewar and then go back to post...it's really fun to collect by type!

Ricky Y
Old 07-13-2009, 03:27 PM

I collect all years up through 1992 as my sets run. I also have an extensive Orioles and Walter Johnson collection. The Orange border Ripken minor league card was a nightmare to find as these were only handed out at 1 game. Dan.