NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Which would you prefer?
A card that is NRMT-MT with 85/15- L/R centering over an EXMT card that is 50/50- L/R 12 11.32%
A card that is EXMT with 50/50- L/R centering over a NRMT-MT card that is 85/15- L/R 74 69.81%
It doesn't matter to me, I look at other characteristics 20 18.87%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2010, 07:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Centering preferences - Poll

Coming off of the heels of the '52 Mantle thread I think it would be a good topic to see where folks stand on "centering" of our beloved cardboard. For this thread lets assume that both cards hold equal value and all other characteristics are the same. Personally, I like better centered cards but it will be interesting to see the sentiments of our members. And for all of those that are averse to plastic just play like these are raw....IT's the cards we are talking about!! best regards

ps...Have I mentioned lately how much I love this board software we use?
Old 10-06-2010, 07:46 AM
Doug C.

You beat me to it, I was going to post a poll after my comment about the Mantle. I'm guessing I'm in the minority (as usual), but I really don't care about centering. As long as the card has all of the borders that it's supposed to, it doesn't matter to me if it's 50/50 or 99/1.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default too funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
You beat me to it, I was going to post a poll after my comment about the Mantle. I'm guessing I'm in the minority (as usual), but I really don't care about centering. As long as the card has all of the borders that it's supposed to, it doesn't matter to me if it's 50/50 or 99/1.
So if I lock the poll right now it would be tied .
Old 10-06-2010, 07:49 AM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
So if I lock the poll right now it would be tied .
I have a feeling that would be about the only chance of it staying that way.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:53 AM
Tony N.

Default I'm a stickler on centering

I always look for a card with really nice centering.

I would prefer a lower grade card with perfect centering, over a higher grade card with poor centering any day.

Just my opinion.

Tony
Old 10-06-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e107collector View Post
I always look for a card with really nice centering.

I would prefer a lower grade card with perfect centering, over a higher grade card with poor centering any day.

Just my opinion.

Tony
+1
Old 10-06-2010, 08:12 AM
Matt Wieder

One other point - I care much more about L/R centering than I do Top/Bottom.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:02 AM
Steve Birmingham

Centering is nice, but on older cards the overall preservation of the edges and corners seems a bit harder to find. So I'm not very picky about centering.

Even on newer stuff I'll sometimes go for a miscut card over one with average centering.

Steve B
Old 10-06-2010, 09:40 AM

I like the poll but it is a difficult question for me to answer. A lot depends on the issue, how tough it is to fine a well-centered example within that set, whether I am trying to complete the set at a consistent grade (physical characteristics like centering, crease free, gloss, etc.), etc. So for me, academic that I am, the question is complicated.
JimB
Old 10-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

What JimB said.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:45 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Centering is important to me also as I prefer PSA's stricter grading on centering (w/ NQ) than SGC's.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:12 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Centering is important to me as well so I voted for the 50/50 option. However, IMO, centering should play no part in the numerical grade of a card. The grade of a card should be determined solely on the condition where the card is evaluated/graded based on it's own environment – good or bad – not the lack of quality control from the factory. PSA don't even follow their own standards. Taken directly from their website, "the experts are asked to grade the condition of the card on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being best." Centering is not a condition. PSA's O/C qualifier is a joke! Anybody that needs to see an O/C qualifier to tell them that the card is off center probably shouldn't be in this hobby.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:49 PM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Default It Depends

Being tied almost exclusively to the Old Judge issue these days, centering means almost nothing to me. If I can find a card that is on my want list and has a nice picture, I am not going to be concerned about centering at all.

Even when I was collecting other pre-war and post-war issues, poor centering did not detract from the aesthetics of the card for me as much as bad edges, bad corners and a bad image did.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:51 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Centering is important to me as well so I voted for the 50/50 option. However, IMO, centering should play no part in the numerical grade of a card. The grade of a card should be determined solely on the condition where the card is evaluated/graded based on it's own environment – good or bad – not the lack of quality control from the factory. PSA don't even follow their own standards. Taken directly from their website, "the experts are asked to grade the condition of the card on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being best." Centering is not a condition. PSA's O/C qualifier is a joke! Anybody that needs to see an O/C qualifier to tell them that the card is off center probably shouldn't be in this hobby.
I think the centering should still be part of the grade, basically b/c you can't see scans sometimes. For example, if someone is selling a set of say 7's and 8's, you would have a certain level of expectation there, and you might not be able to get the seller (or auction house) to show you 200 scans.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:55 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I find myself leaning more toward better centered card than higher grade ones recently. although I am working on a 1962 mars attacks which is really tough to find centered

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 10-06-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default however

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
I like the poll but it is a difficult question for me to answer. A lot depends on the issue, how tough it is to fine a well-centered example within that set, whether I am trying to complete the set at a consistent grade (physical characteristics like centering, crease free, gloss, etc.), etc. So for me, academic that I am, the question is complicated.
JimB
Jim- it is probably scientifically impossible to have a perfect poll .
Old 10-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Jim Mac

Default Centering is important

I have put together several sets from the 50' and 60's with centering being the most important feature for me when purchasing cards. If its centered then I'm interested in looking at the other conditions the card will have like corners,gloss ect. My centering range is 35/65 or better. IMHO the cards are meant to be 50/50 all around so anything less than that means they are "off manufacturers spec's". My 40 years in the printing industry (25 yrs. production manager) tells me however that perfect cutting of any item is almost impossible even with todays best equipment,let alone the cutting challenges printers faced from the 20's thru the 70's. The Mantle card looks great because it's well centered but I'm not sure if I could say that about it at 10/90. Just my old printer opinion. Jim
Old 10-06-2010, 04:57 PM

I would prefer the lesser grade, better centered card and, like one of the prior comments, attach more significance to L/R centering than top-bottom.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:53 PM

"Would you prefer a card that is NRMT-MT with 85/15- L/R centering, or an EXMT card that is 50/50- L/R?"

Hmmm... which one's cheaper?
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 10-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Barry Arnold

Default poll

what JimB and Jeff said.

best,
barry