NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-03-2016, 11:02 AM

Default Help with this Mantle item

I probably should have put this in the July pickups but I needed to ask the question of when these were available.Not sure if it was during his playing days or after his retirement.I cannot see any type of manufacture on it.Although it does look pretty old.As you can tell by the scans it is an ash tray.Any help would be very much appreciated. And if it has any value than that would be helpful as well.Thanks in advance.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:04 AM
Chris

It features a picture from his Holiday Inn, which, if real, would place it during his playing days. That said, I'm not sure whether it is an authentic period piece. It isn't any of the common reproductions but also not one of the real ones I've seen.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
It features a picture from his Holiday Inn, which, if real, would place it during his playing days. That said, I'm not sure whether it is an authentic period piece. It isn't any of the common reproductions but also not one of the real ones I've seen.
Thanks a lot for the very quick response.Is there somewhere I could go to see a picture of a real one.Thanks again.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:48 PM
Chris

Very happy to help. Below is one of the most complete guide to Mantle Holiday Inn items that I'm aware of. As you'll see from the listed items, yours is a popular pose taken of Mantle at the hotel and used in items. Your piece is interesting, and I hope you don't take my comment as a definitive statement as to whether it is genuine or not. All I can say with certainty is that it uses a common photo from the Holiday Inn. My instinct says it is not real, as I can't imagine them using this image for something other than the Holiday Inn and I can't imagine them using this for the Holiday Inn without noting "Holiday Inn" on it. If you want a more definitive answer, I'd reach out to the author of this article and he may be able to respond/answer. His personal website is hofmemories.com and I believe it lists his contact information.

http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.co...pt5.pdf?47fcf4
Old 07-03-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Very happy to help. Below is one of the most complete guide to Mantle Holiday Inn items that I'm aware of. As you'll see from the listed items, yours is a popular pose taken of Mantle at the hotel and used in items. Your piece is interesting, and I hope you don't take my comment as a definitive statement as to whether it is genuine or not. All I can say with certainty is that it uses a common photo from the Holiday Inn. My instinct says it is not real, as I can't imagine them using this image for something other than the Holiday Inn and I can't imagine them using this for the Holiday Inn without noting "Holiday Inn" on it. If you want a more definitive answer, I'd reach out to the author of this article and he may be able to respond/answer. His personal website is hofmemories.com and I believe it lists his contact information.

I took a look at your link and the one I have certainly does not look anything at all like that one pictured there.But it say there was 3 or versions so I am still hopeful that it is just not a paper weight. But that is in all likelihood a stretch.I also sent the other Mantle collector an email asking if he would be able to take a look at the scans and give me his opinion.I will wait and see if he gets back to me.Thanks again for all your help.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:

Chris,already had a response from the Mantle collector and he is checking the scans.I will LYK when he replies.Thanks,
Old 07-03-2016, 02:56 PM
Chris

Awesome, I am glad to hear you were able to get in touch with him. He's a great guy and a wealth of knowledge on these things. He really helped me when I was building my collection.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Awesome, I am glad to hear you were able to get in touch with him. He's a great guy and a wealth of knowledge on these things. He really helped me when I was building my collection.
Just had a reply.He is of the opinion that it is something that someone made.He does not think that Holiday Inns would have released something without all the proper information.But I guess if a person had one of these and used it everyday and washed it accordingly.I believe most of that paint and decals would be all wore off anyway.The image of Mantles is under glass in both the front and back.So they are all still in great condition.Just no identification type markings.Thanks again for all your help.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:05 PM
Chris

Awesome, glad to hear he is of the impression that it is a home made piece of sorts rather than a forgery. It's a cool item.