NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-11-2005, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Default Reading Material

Posted By: Jeff Mohler

Can anyone suggest any good reading material (esp. books or pamplets)to educate myself on collecting vintage material? I am a beginner so anything pretty basic would be appreciated.

Old 09-11-2005, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Default Reading Material

Posted By: jay behrens

Lew Lipset's books are a must. Also, the book by Erbe and Miller is good. I forget the title but it si something like The American Book of Baseball Cards, or something like that. Contact David Rudd (cycleback) about getting his booklet.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 09-11-2005, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Default Reading Material

Posted By: bruce dorskind

I have been in the hobby for 27 years and have collected over 40 books on vintage
baseball collecting.

The most enjoyable one I have ever had the pleasure of reading was:
Baseball Treasures -Memorabilia from the National Pastime

Baseball Treasures
Price: $59.95Douglas Congdon-Martin & John Kashmanian

Memorabilia from the National Pastime
Book Details
ISBN: 0887404928

From its earliest days in the mid-1800s, baseball has had a warm place in the heart of American men and women. So it was natural for them to keep mementos of the game. Programs, team pictures, pennants, uniforms, and baseballs were commonly a part of the fan's collection. Seeing the public's fascination with the sport, companies began t use the baseball theme in their advertising. Trade cards, endorsements, and novelty items included the images of America's heroes beside the prominent name of the product being sold. Some of the finest baseball treasures are illustrated here in full color, reflecting the artistry of the nineteenth and early twentieth century. There are images of the heroes of the game, legendary names like Kelly, Ward, Cobb, Ruth, Gehrig, Robinson, and Mays. Here is a large selection of ephemera, uniforms, autographs, advertising, souvenirs, equipment, and much more to interest today's collector. Antiques from the Negro Leagues are also included, with a number of rare team photos. For the baseball lover or the collector of sports memorabilia, this will be a delightful, indispensable book.

Contact Us Schiffer Publishing
webmaster@schifferbooks.com.4880 Lower Valley Rd.
Copyright © 2005. Schiffer Publishing. All rights reserved.Atglen, PA 19310

Old 09-11-2005, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Default Reading Material

Posted By: leon

I have been in the hobby a short while compared with many on the board. If you want informative reading and learning about cards .....

1. Lew Lipset's Encyclopedia's...VOL 1-3....they usually come as 1 book and can be readily found on ebay or elsewhere. Buy it...learn it...and you will have a good foundation to build on.

2. Krause SCD Baseball 2005- 2006 ('06 is about to come out). Buy it, read it, learn it....for this discussion you can throw away the back 3/4 of the book. It's the shiney new stuff anyway. You almost have to have a copy of this to collect vintage. Don't take all of the prices as rock solid as the market moves a little faster than a yearly book. The SCD (Big Book) will also include 100's of new vintage sets that were not found yet, or not catalogued yet, when Lew wrote his encyclopedia or the ACC (American Card Catalogue) was put out.

3. Get a subscription to Oldcardboard magazine. It's the link at the top of the page. It will get you into current trends and new finds and has good, current, articles about the hobby. It's just about the only vintage baseball card magazine around anymore.

4. Buy all of the back issues of VCBC. They can be found on ebay on any given day. There are thousands of great articles and info on the hobby and the cards.

If you do those 4 things, and memorize them as well as you can.....you will skip most of the "not knowing" part of collecting......

regards

Old 09-11-2005, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Default Reading Material

Posted By: Scot

All the books listed above are great vintage reference books.
I would recommend old mastronet auction catalogues as well. They have a great variety of vintage collectibles and cards with good discriptions.

Old 09-12-2005, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Default Reading Material

Posted By: Alan

I agree with Scot. Looking at old Mastro catalogs can be extremely educational !!!

Alan

Old 09-12-2005, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Default Reading Material

Posted By: Scott Forrest

These are great if you're image-oriented. They are also one of the few cataglogs where you can get a large selection of high-quality vintage uniform photos...but I understand some are fakes