NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 02:20 PM
Robert S

Of course I copied the data, Vintagetoppsguy.

Do you think I manually counted the permits?

The info comes from the US Department of the Interior and the resulting audits by the Center for Biological Diversity and most importantly by the nonpartisan Politifact fact checking service.

Here are 2 such fact checking links, for instance:

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...9000-unused-o/

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...ear-par-trump/

Poitifact has spent years checking claims and calling out both Democrats and Republicans when they stretch the truth. As per Wikipedia: "PolitiFact has won the Pulitzer Prize and has been both praised and criticized by independent observers, conservatives and liberals alike. Both liberal and conservative bias have been alleged at different points..."

By the way, you definitely are an expert in gas and oil and you do have an agenda, as well, politically. That's OK. These two things don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Neither does having an inquisitive mind, which you also clearly have. And so do I.

You make some good points, as you clearly know your stuff. But why is it that it can be more profitable not to drill in some instances, as you state? And when your country and the world need such production, can these companies step up and do the right thing even if it is less profitable? I honestly don't know the nuances of such answers, but think the question is relevant and deserving of being asked by the public, our leaders and journalists.

And since you so politely asked:

My background is in journalism, research and later marketing communications. I covered media, technology and politics before going to work for agencies and marcom companies representing Fortune 500 brands (no political work of any kind). Precisely because I started out covering politics is why I am a registered Independent -- so that I wasn't a card carrying member of either political team. You can't give people a fair shake and fair analysis if you're allied either with or against them. And I think the Congressional leaders I interviewed appreciated that.

And while I was a journalist I wrote a book on media and politics for MIT Press, with an emphasis on how political candidates and leaders used new media technologies to sway the public and spread their messages, dating back to around 1788 up to and into the 1990s.

My main coverage areas were media and technology for magazines and wire service distribution, but I also covered some Democrats and Republicans and subcommittee meetings on the Hill. I then moved exclusively into PR and communications for clients of all stripes, both in-house and at agencies -- again, all non-political work...!

But more importantly: what did you think of the baseball player transportation images of Type 1 photos and postcards?

How do you think they will be impacted by current price swings?

Lastly, if I ever went to work in gas and oil, I most certainly would need "schooling," just as some others on this board would clearly need some "refining" of their manners if they chose certain lines of work dealing with other people.

Last edited by VintageBall; 03-12-2022 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-12-2022, 05:44 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBall View Post
But why is it that it can be more profitable not to drill in some instances, as you state? And when your county and the world need such production, can these companies step up and do the right thing even if it is less profitable? I honestly don't know the nuances of such answers, but think the question is relevant and deserving of being asked by the public, our leaders and journalists.
I want to clear up one thing first. You stated earlier that "there are currently 9,173 approved oil drilling permits that have been approved but are going unused by the oil industry." That is correct. However, those 9,173 unused permits are on federal land. That's important to note.

I'm trying not to get political, but Biden ran on a campaign platform based partially on green energy and climate change, and even promised to ban drilling on federal land. So why is his administration issuing drilling permits on federal land? I don't know the answer to that. But put yourself in the shoes of the oil companies. Are you really going to invest all that money into new drilling on federal land knowing that the administration could impose a moratorium on it at any minute? Think about that and certainly you can understand the reluctancy to drill? Maybe that’s why those federal land drilling permits go unused, but I’m only speculating. That’s way beyond my pay grade.

Last year, Chevron, Shell, ExxonMobil and BP all had record profit years. Good for them. I hope they continue to do so (I own Chevron and ExxonMobil stock). If one owns a business and they have a record profit year we look at them as a symbol of success. But when the oil companies have record profit years, they're considered greedy and evil. Why? Where is the line drawn between successful and greed/evil? Is it a dollar amount? Is it a profit percentage?

Now to answer your question above. Why would they bring more oil to market? What incentive do they have? If you found 10 T206 Wagners and wanted to sell them, would you release them all on the market at the same time or slowly over a long period of time? Of course you wouldn't flood the market. So why would the oil companies? It also has to do with not reporting the reserves (no drilling - no reports), but I won’t get into all that because I don’t know how to explain it properly. A friend explained it to me and I understood it, but I don’t want to misspeak.

I’ll leave you with this. I’m not the one that brought up drilling in this thread. It was you and others as if somehow more drilling solves the current problem. Oh, really? How’s that? Are there gas shortages in America right now where people are waiting in long lines? Are refineries not operating at near full capacity? So how would drilling solve the problem? I don’t think the current gas prices are the result of a lack of drilling or production issue at all. We only got on that topic because others brought it up.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 03-12-2022 at 05:46 PM.
Closed Thread