NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 06-22-2019, 03:25 PM
Jim Smiley

Default Letters about debuts or other good content.

Let's see some cool letters and notes about big league debuts. This one is one of my favorites.

New York Giants reliever Ace Adams had a fascinating career. Originally signed – and released – by the Brooklyn Dodgers, Adams made significant gains in the Giants organization.
By his fifth pro season in 1940, Adams led the Southern Association in strikeouts and helped push his Nashville team to the pennant. After winning two games in the Dixie Series against Texas League champion Houston, Adams took the train home for the off-season.
Adams success caught the eye of the Giants executives in New York who unbeknownst to the pitcher, bought his contract. When the pitcher arrived at the train station his wife Ellie greeted him with the good news, waving the newspaper with the headline, “Adams Sold to Giants”.
In this letter, Adams writes, “You asked me for a a few lines about a memorable moment in my baseball career.
“One that stands out to me is the day in April 1941. The Giants were playing Brooklyn on Opening Day.
“Many exciting instances happened in this game. I pitched the last four innings in this game and got credit for winning it.
“This should not be too exciting or interesting, except for one thing. It was against Brooklyn on Opening Day and it was the first Major League Game I had ever seen. ‘Believe it or not.’ ”
Adams flourished in a role similar to that of today’s leading firemen. He led the league in games finished in four consecutive seasons, games finished in three straight and in saves in back-to-back years. In 1942 he posted a 1.84 ERA and tied the modern NL record for appearances held by fellow New Giants hurler Christy Mathewson. The following season Adams set a new Major League mark for appearances in a season with 70.
Interestingly, Adams given first name is actually Ace. When he died in 2006 he was survived by many including his son, grandson, great-grandson, and great-great-grandson, all likewise named Ace.
This letter and more interesting autographed pieces can be found on CooperstownExpert.com. Once you're there, you can search for any of the Hall of Famers. There are nearly 600 baseball people on the site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ace-Adams-NY-Giants-798x1024.jpg (9.2 KB, 54 views)
Old 06-22-2019, 04:36 PM
Hank Thomas

Great post, would love to see more like it on the board.

Tags
ace adams, ace adams autographs, cooperstownexpert.com