NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 04-12-2016, 10:16 AM

Like I said, you're grasping at straws man. I thought it was obvious I was talking about the things that go into a shift and positioning your players on the field. Along with head to head ratios against specific pitchers on your roster. As well as all of the other "new" stats that get put into practice in real time on the field not in looking back at a completed career.

Last edited by packs; 04-12-2016 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:19 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Like I said, you're grasping at straws man. I thought it was obvious I was talking about the things that go into a shift and positioning your players on the field. Along with head to head ratios against specific pitchers on your roster.
Let us keep in mind the original statement that sparked my response. This is all I was replying to.

"It doesn't matter how good you are, no one can survive in the league or experience prolonged success striking out more times than they get a hit. "

I think YOU are the one grasping at straws now realizing that as stated it was an overstatement.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:21 AM

I guess time will tell, won't it? Today's game is totally different from the players you've brought up. None of them faced the advanced stats Bryant will have to play against. It is a new game.

Last edited by packs; 04-12-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:26 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I guess time will tell, won't it? Today's game is totally different from the players you've brought up. None of them faced the advanced stats Bryant will have to play against. It is a new game.
Were you not arguing with me not too long ago though that we don't need those stats to know how good players are?
Old 04-12-2016, 10:27 AM

In a general sense, no. I can look at Bryant's K rate and know he won't succeed. But I'm not managing a team and trying to get him out, am I?
Old 04-12-2016, 10:28 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
In a general sense, no. I can look at Bryant's K rate and know he won't succeed. But I'm not managing a team and trying to get him out, am I?
What do you think of Trout? He has a pretty high K rate although of course not as high as Bryant's (so far).
Old 04-12-2016, 10:31 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Canseco and Kingman and Fielder too. And Ryan Howard.
My original argument even compared Bryant to R.Howard. So even though it is possible to sustain a career with these types of numbers, most would agree that these aren't HOF careers. I know R.Jackson is a HOF, but he is usually on people's list of worst HOF members. Thome struck out, but he also had a great BB% . He ended his career 7th in career BB.

Also the spread between hits and strikeouts is a lot bigger with KB. KB gets a hit 78% as much as he SO. Thome-91% and R.Jackson 99%. Again obvsioulsy KB has just started out, but this isn't about whether he can have a long career but more about is it too early to consider him the next great player and I just feel he got a lot more hype than the numbers suggest.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:32 AM

Trout is fine. Power isn't his only game. He does a lot of other things well, like get on base.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:40 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Trout is fine. Power isn't his only game. He does a lot of other things well, like get on base.
We agree there.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:41 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
My original argument even compared Bryant to R.Howard. So even though it is possible to sustain a career with these types of numbers, most would agree that these aren't HOF careers. I know R.Jackson is a HOF, but he is usually on people's list of worst HOF members. Thome struck out, but he also had a great BB% . He ended his career 7th in career BB.

Also the spread between hits and strikeouts is a lot bigger with KB. KB gets a hit 78% as much as he SO. Thome-91% and R.Jackson 99%. Again obvsioulsy KB has just started out, but this isn't about whether he can have a long career but more about is it too early to consider him the next great player and I just feel he got a lot more hype than the numbers suggest.
Agreed, but probably most people with high expectations for Bryant believe he can substantially improve on his strikeouts. Trout did I think. Harper has. Why not him?

Actually Trout had more Ks than hits in his MVP season.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-12-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:45 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
What do you think of Trout? He has a pretty high K rate although of course not as high as Bryant's (so far).
That is a good comparison of the best you can expect, but Trout also benefits from a high BABIP. Yet his can be explained by more Line Drives compared to Fly Balls.

Trout FB%=38.5%
Bryant FB% = 45.4%

Ground Ball to Fly Ball ratio:
Trout = 1.02
Bryant = .75

My theory is that Bryant with his upper cut swing can't maintain his 2015 numbers. His dad ingrained him with this swing, it is great for hitting home runs but it isn't great for getting on base.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:53 AM
Steven Finley

High five to the person who in response to the BEST PLAYER IN THE GAME stated "he'll be alright - he does more than hit for power."
Old 04-12-2016, 11:02 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

I think the game has changed in how strikeouts are viewed. George Brett said when he played, a strikeout was viewed as a bad at bat. That's not true in today's game.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:28 AM

Trout strikes out a lot, but it's because he's asked to hit more home runs. Also, he's a complete player in a way that Bryant isn't. Trout also won the MVP in his worst professional season. He is the player people want Bryant to be, but I don't see it in Bryant. Although I wouldn't have expected Harper to change his approach so drastically like he did last season, so anything is possible. Harper was able to cut his BB / K rate almost to 1:1. That's really impressive.

Last edited by packs; 04-12-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:53 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Trout strikes out a lot, but it's because he's asked to hit more home runs. Also, he's a complete player in a way that Bryant isn't. Trout also won the MVP in his worst professional season. He is the player people want Bryant to be, but I don't see it in Bryant. Although I wouldn't have expected Harper to change his approach so drastically like he did last season, so anything is possible. Harper was able to cut his BB / K rate almost to 1:1. That's really impressive.
I think Harper finally realized his raw talent was only going to take him so far. A hitter that good with serious discipline at the plate is a frightening prospect.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:56 AM

It was especially impressive to see a player do that while he was so young. Bryant played a full college career, so I think his faults might be a little more ingrained in him than Harpers were.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:56 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
It was especially impressive to see a player do that while he was so young. Bryant played a full college career, so I think his faults might be a little more ingrained in him than Harpers were.

That's an interesting hypothesis, that college guys might have more engrained "faults." Do you know if anybody has looked into that for a study or anything?

It'd be really interesting for Bryant vs. Harper, as u believe they were both born in 1992.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:28 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Like I said, you're grasping at straws man. I thought it was obvious I was talking about the things that go into a shift and positioning your players on the field. Along with head to head ratios against specific pitchers on your roster. As well as all of the other "new" stats that get put into practice in real time on the field not in looking back at a completed career.
He's not grasping at straws at all. You made a bold statement:

Quote:
It doesn't matter how good you are, no one can survive in the league or experience prolonged success striking out more times than they get a hit.
In response, he gave you the names of several players who did quite clearly have sustained success while having more strike outs than hits for their careers.

Reggie Jackson is a Hall of Famer.
Jim Thome will be a Hall of Famer.
Jose Canseco hit 462 home runs.
Ryan Howard has hit 362 home runs, and will likely cross 400 home runs.
Cecil Fielder hit 319 home runs, and drove in over 1,000.

Instead of telling him "you're grasping at straws", perhaps you should do a little research first before making statements like the one you did.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

Or, he could have simply said, you're right I overstated my position.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:08 PM

Ok I take it back. I'll use the word hard instead. It's hard to succeed striking out that much. I was being hyperbolic.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Ok I take it back. I'll use the word hard instead. It's hard to succeed striking out that much. I was being hyperbolic.
See, we now have a consensus, we didn't even need to argue.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:22 PM

I concede. But I still think being paired up with those guys doesn't bode well for you. Even if 2 of them are HOFers. Although I give a pass to Thome because he's still one of my favorites.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:09 PM
Garth Guibord

On a slightly related note, just saw on Wikipedia that Harper and Bryant knew each other growing up and started playing baseball with each other at the age of nine (both were born in 1992 in Las Vegas).

Those must have been some fun neighborhood pick up games to be a part of.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:20 PM
qu@n nguy3n

i'm not a bryant guy at all, tbh i kind of don't like him...but comparing him to dunn is ludicrous. in that screengrab between bryant and dunn there's one thing that should totally stand out to differentiate the two...dunn never put up a WAR season ever that compared to bryant's rookie year! the argument pretty much stops there.

and yes extreme small sample size bias. he may not be harper or trout, but he'll be fine. the pitchers make adjustments, and it seems like bryant is already changing his approach. chicago's front office have very smart people working who are in-tuned with advanced metrics that even we don't know about and probably have built various models pertaining to bryant's career. he's in good hands.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:51 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
in that screengrab between bryant and dunn there's one thing that should totally stand out to differentiate the two...dunn never put up a WAR season ever that compared to bryant's rookie year! the argument pretty much stops there.
You obviously are missing the point of the posts. The WAR is a number based on the numbers that were put up against certain opponents based in his comparables. Yet if he got "lucky" with an upper cut swing allowing balls to drop in, as I have been hypothesizing, than I am stating we are going to see similar results to Dunn's in the future.

He has been working on leveling out his swing and if he can find comfort in this new swing (as he has the last couple of days) then he will be fine. He has been striking out less and walking more this season. Now it is going to be about ball placement. He definitely is showing improvement, now we just have to see if he can hold it.

My point of this thread was not if he had a good rookie season, but that I think there were red flags that people seemed to be ignoring while investing in his cards and hyping his talents.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:53 AM
Bill Gregory

Curious if opinions on Bryant being "overhyped" have changed any. Last night he was 5 for 5 with 3 home runs, 2 doubles and 6 RBIs. For the season, he's hitting .278 with 59 runs scored, 19 doubles, 21 home runs, 57 RBI. He leads the league in run scored, home runs, and is third in RBI. He's slashing .367/.567/.934. His 3.6 WAR is the 7th highest of any position player in baseball.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:07 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Curious if opinions on Bryant being "overhyped" have changed any. Last night he was 5 for 5 with 3 home runs, 2 doubles and 6 RBIs. For the season, he's hitting .278 with 59 runs scored, 19 doubles, 21 home runs, 57 RBI. He leads the league in run scored, home runs, and is third in RBI. He's slashing .367/.567/.934. His 3.6 WAR is the 7th highest of any position player in baseball.
As I stated in the post previous to this one in April, he changed his approach to the plate and was showing signs of improvement.
I believe that if he can maintain this approach he will be very good, but that still doesn't change my perspective that people were ignoring real issues in his rookie season. I think this is the real season that shows who he is as a player, and he has proven himself as someone that can adapt for the better. If he hadn't adapted and changed his approach we weren't going to see anything better than we had the first month of this season. Changing your approach at the plate is a very hard thing to do, but he has been doing it for a couple of months now and seems to be getting better.

He now has a .304 BABIP compared to his 2015 .378. This helps illustrate that he has drastically changed to be able to maintain the BA he had last year while adding on to his SLG numbers.

So my answer is yes and no. I believe just looking at his RC season he was overrated, as many RCs are. Yet his ability to adapt shows me that he is no longer overrated but may be the real deal going forward.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:06 AM

I think he is putting together a good season and making some adjustments at the plate that are definitely improving his game. You can't argue with the production. I still think he's striking out too much.