NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-07-2017, 06:21 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by REGGIE206 View Post
That is simply amazing! I love hearing stories about parents passing down valuable cards to their children.. especially a 52 Topps Mantle! Did your father pull that from an actual pack?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Me, too!! Congratulations, Irv. Between your cache of nice vintage Bee Hives and the '52 Topps Mickey Mantle, your Dad left you some real treasures.

Say, take the time to ask your father how he came to get the '52 Topps Mick. Write it up as a story for all of us. A card passed down from a dad is something any of us (except those who hate it when anyone has something nice happen to them) would appreciate hearing about.

I have a treasured story of how I got a '52 Topps Mantle through my widowed mother. Sadly, I chose to sell it to help raise money for a down payment on a house. Good reason, but......

Take care, pal. ----Brian Powell
Unlike my Father's Beehives, which he clearly remembers purchasing some himself, he is unclear, exactly, how he came about them.

I have asked, shown him cards, and although he remembers some players and having some cards look familiar to him, he is unclear and can't honestly remember purchasing them.

He will be 78 this coming Saturday, so with him being 13-14 when these cards came out, and not continuing in the hobby much after that, he finds it hard to remember.

If he did remember pulling the Mantle, it would definitely make for a great story, but unfortunately, that is the best we can do.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Unlike my Father's Beehives, which he clearly remembers purchasing some himself, he is unclear, exactly, how he came about them.

I have asked, shown him cards, and although he remembers some players and having some cards look familiar to him, he is unclear and can't honestly remember purchasing them.

He will be 78 this coming Saturday, so with him being 13-14 when these cards came out, and not continuing in the hobby much after that, he finds it hard to remember.

If he did remember pulling the Mantle, it would definitely make for a great story, but unfortunately, that is the best we can do.
Still awesome that he passed that down to you. Since I'm a first generation American born, my father didn't collect anything cool and has nothing to pass down to me. Pulled or not pulled, I envy when I hear stories like yours.

Last edited by REGGIE206; 06-08-2017 at 03:31 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:47 AM
Kris

Quote:
Kris, you're more than welcome. I had fun writing it!

You might wish to have PSA grade your Dormand Mick. Regardless of what number winds up on the cert, they use a nice thick, heavy holder for these. I know because I took the plunge and bought a graded specimen of this card earlier this year. I love it. My point is that with your Dormand being in a PSA holder, it is well-protected. The only potential problem to avoid is the aforementioned display where sunlight strikes it.

My only regret was that 25 years ago I sold my near set. I know many of the postcards would have graded high. However, the bulk of my regret is that I simply miss them---they are flat out over the top beautiful cards. I did save a couple I could not bear to part with---Roy Campanella and Johnny Mize. I had wanted the Mize for years, before he was finally elected to the BBHOF. He seems to be among the major tough ones to find. As for Campy, IMHO the Dormand PC is Roy Campanella's finest card, along with his 1953 Stahl-Meyer Franks.

I'm gettin' verbose; have a great day friend. ---Brian Powell

Brain,

Good advice on having the card graded. I know its not a high-end Mantle but it is a beautiful card. My guess is it will come out in the VG-EX-EX (4-5) range.

Given your experience with the light sensitivity of the Dormands, would you suggest I not display it at all?

Right now its in a UV protected top loader on top of one of my wall cases. I have several wall-hung UV glass cases in which I display my cards. It is too large to fit in the case. Do the PSA/SGC cases offer much in the way of UV protection?

Kris
Old 06-08-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckettfan View Post
Brain,

Good advice on having the card graded. I know its not a high-end Mantle but it is a beautiful card. My guess is it will come out in the VG-EX-EX (4-5) range.

Given your experience with the light sensitivity of the Dormands, would you suggest I not display it at all?

Right now its in a UV protected top loader on top of one of my wall cases. I have several wall-hung UV glass cases in which I display my cards. It is too large to fit in the case. Do the PSA/SGC cases offer much in the way of UV protection?

Kris
Howdy, Kris. Not much time to respond today, as I have to head to work early. Display is important to all of us. However, one idea I thought of is to find or make something that you could hang over your beloved cards to eliminate all light when, of course, you are not viewing them. There's 1,440 minutes in a day. Some of that is nighttime obviously. Let's say you are admiring your cards for 15 minutes. Why not have something simple to cover them when you are not viewing them? Just a thought, bro.

I would not expect the TPG holders to be UV-proof. Even if UV-resistant, that is not good enough. My cards on display are in a big, black five-drawer blueprint case. I had to make a few adjustments, but found it works perfectly. When I want to see them, I simply .... I fabricated thick pads out of materials I bought from Hobby Lobby. I chose velvet colors that I really liked and would contrast the cards nicely.

Gotta go. ----Brian Powell
Old 06-08-2017, 12:04 PM
Kris

Quote:
Howdy, Kris. Not much time to respond today, as I have to head to work early. Display is important to all of us. However, one idea I thought of is to find or make something that you could hang over your beloved cards to eliminate all light when, of course, you are not viewing them. There's 1,440 minutes in a day. Some of that is nighttime obviously. Let's say you are admiring your cards for 15 minutes. Why not have something simple to cover them when you are not viewing them? Just a thought, bro.

I would not expect the TPG holders to be UV-proof. Even if UV-resistant, that is not good enough. My cards on display are in a big, black five-drawer blueprint case. I had to make a few adjustments, but found it works perfectly. When I want to see them, I simply .... I fabricated thick pads out of materials I bought from Hobby Lobby. I chose velvet colors that I really liked and would contrast the cards nicely.

Gotta go. ----Brian Powell
Excellent idea, Brian. I would not have thought of a blueprint cabinet but that probably works really well. Plus a bet an older cabinet would be really cool for storing the vintage cards. Thanks again.

Kris
Old 06-08-2017, 05:36 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Still awesome that he passed that down to you. Since I'm a first generation American born, my father didn't collect anything cool and has nothing to pass down to me. Pulled or not pulled, I envy when I hear stories like yours.
Thanks!

My Father gave me a 148 total, including the Mantle, which, unfortunately, was the worst card of the bunch. (Still totally grateful I own one!)

Included in those 148 were Mays, Robinson, PeeWee Reese, and Joe Nuxhall to name a few. I was also lucky enough to receive 58 high numbered cards as well.
Since joining back in January of 2016, my collection is up over 220 now, which doesn't include any high number cards. (FlickR link below)

I was on a buying frenzy there for a while, but with the current CDN dollar, and being a little more educated, I have now slowed down and only purchase occasionally when I see a good deal with reasonable shipping costs.

It's highly unlikely I'll ever finish this set due to some fairly expensive cards I still need (Campy, Mathews, Pafko, Berra, Martin, etc) but I do enjoy adding to it when I can.

Thanks again, and good luck in your quest!
Old 06-08-2017, 05:59 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Reggie, I forgot to tell you about this one (if you haven't already heard it?)

This is a pic of my Uncle Sam with Mickey Mantle at the 1958 World Series that is now in my possession as well.
My Uncle Sam is the man closest in the pic and the man closest to Mickey Mantle is his friend, Norm. The other man in the pic, or than man standing between my Uncle Sam and his friend, Norm, is none other than Dizzy Trout.

It's a bit faded from it's original state, but still displays well and is another piece I am totally grateful to have in my collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1597 (Large).jpg (69.0 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1595 (Large).jpg (71.3 KB, 279 views)
Old 06-08-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Reggie, I forgot to tell you about this one (if you haven't already heard it?)

This is a pic of my Uncle Sam with Mickey Mantle at the 1958 World Series that is now in my possession as well.
My Uncle Sam is the man closest in the pic and the man closest to Mickey Mantle is his friend, Norm. The other man in the pic, or than man standing between my Uncle Sam and his friend, Norm, is none other than Dizzy Trout.

It's a bit faded from it's original state, but still displays well and is another piece I am totally grateful to have in my collection.
That I said soooooooo cool! Love it! Thanks for sharing that with me! I truly appreciate it!
Old 06-09-2017, 05:45 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
That I said soooooooo cool! Love it! Thanks for sharing that with me! I truly appreciate it!
No problem, I'm happy to share!
Old 06-10-2017, 01:52 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Mantle 1955 Exhibit A MUTOSCOPE CARD Postcard back!!

Hi Guys:

Not a Mick collector, or a graded collector but rather an Exhibit collector. Just got a 1955 Exhibit Postcard card of the much rarer version with the words A MUTOSCOPE CARD on the reverse.

This would be a nice companion piece to whomever won the other version in the LOTG auction a few months back. Anyone here??

http://loveofthegameauctions.com/195...-LOT12677.aspx

Lots of collectors do not even know these exist because the TPG's do not know about/list this variation in the Pop reports or Registries.

Take a look.

OH, YEAH, and WHY IS THIS A 40?????

Fred
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1876.jpg (77.3 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1877.jpg (77.0 KB, 241 views)
Old 06-10-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Excellent idea, Brian. I would not have thought of a blueprint cabinet but that probably works really well. Plus a bet an older cabinet would be really cool for storing the vintage cards. Thanks again.

Kris
Kris, my blueprint case is by no means vintage, though I've owned it since 1989. It is jet black and reasonably heavy metal. You have a good point about storing vintage cards in an old wooden cabinet. Regardless, I am pleased with the heavy-duty case, as it beautifully does what I intended.

I mentioned the merits of choosing a couple different colors for the velvet pads. However, besides the aforementioned benefit of shielding my prized cards et al from the ultraviolet rays of the sun, there is one other essential benefit. It's tough to put into words, but I'll have a go, then let it go at that.

Displaying my collection of "favorites" in a 5-drawer case allows me not to see my items whenever I enter the room. I really don't want to see my prized pieces every single time I go in. There's a saying, "familiarity breeds contempt", and I liken the meaning to my collection in that I don't want to ever get bored seeing them too frequently. After a time, a subtle feeling of the collection losing its special allure and attractiveness would set in.

Not everyone would feel the same way if they saw their cards, etc. every day, but that's me. So, the black case also shields my eyes and attention, except for when I want to admire them.

Some items have to be in a bank safe deposit box, but that's life.

Here I go getting verbose again. You poor guy. Take care, Kris. Have a swell weekend. ---Brian Powell (Indiana Jones on the PSA chat forums)

Last edited by brian1961; 06-10-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:15 PM

My wife bought this book on Amazon for me:

Old 06-10-2017, 11:19 PM
Kris

Quote:
Kris, my blueprint case is by no means vintage, though I've owned it since 1989. It is jet black and reasonably heavy metal. You have a good point about storing vintage cards in an old wooden cabinet. Regardless, I am pleased with the heavy-duty case, as it beautifully does what I intended.

I mentioned the merits of choosing a couple different colors for the velvet pads. However, besides the aforementioned benefit of shielding my prized cards et al from the ultraviolet rays of the sun, there is one other essential benefit. It's tough to put into words, but I'll have a go, then let it go at that.

Displaying my collection of "favorites" in a 5-drawer case allows me not to see my items whenever I enter the room. I really don't want to see my prized pieces every single time I go in. There's a saying, "familiarity breeds contempt", and I liken the meaning to my collection in that I don't want to ever get bored seeing them too frequently. After a time, a subtle feeling of the collection losing its special allure and attractiveness would set in.

Not everyone would feel the same way if they saw their cards, etc. every day, but that's me. So, the black case also shields my eyes and attention, except for when I want to admire them.

Some items have to be in a bank safe deposit box, but that's life.

Here I go getting verbose again. You poor guy. Take care, Kris. Have a swell weekend. ---Brian Powell (Indiana Jones on the PSA chat forums)
This is awesome Brian. Keep it coming. It's never too much. I have only gotten back into collecting in the last 3 years after a 25 year absence. Right now I have 2 large cases that are designed to hold 50 graded cards a piece. It's UV Glass but I'm not sold. My home office is the spot, but I like the idea of not seeing them all the time.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:50 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
My wife bought this book on Amazon for me:

Nice, Reggie. Just surprises me to see there is no pic of the 52 Topps card on the cover?
Old 06-11-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Nice, Reggie. Just surprises me to see there is no pic of the 52 Topps card on the cover?
You're right! I didn't think about that!
Old 06-12-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
This is awesome Brian. Keep it coming. It's never too much. I have only gotten back into collecting in the last 3 years after a 25 year absence. Right now I have 2 large cases that are designed to hold 50 graded cards a piece. It's UV Glass but I'm not sold. My home office is the spot, but I like the idea of not seeing them all the time.
Thanks for your kind words, Kris. Much obliged. Kris, you might consider a lightweight fabric cover that would shield your graded cards. Perhaps go to a store that sells fabric remnants. They might have a couple pieces that would sufficiently cover your displays. I know there's sheer drapery, and then there's blackout fabric, that cuts out ALL incoming light. Get a couple pieces of the blackout that are larger than what you need, cut them down, and with a sewing machine, reinforce the ends. You might wish to sew a length-wise loop, then insert a dowel rod to fit over each case when you're not admiring your crafted collection.

If you don't know how to use a sewing machine, as I, perhaps your dear wife or significant other, or a trusted friend who's good seamstress, can do the job to your requirements.

Above all Kris, when it comes to crafts, think it through carefully so you will be truly pleased when it's all done.

The weight of each cover should not disturb anything, I would think, but test and consider all the potential problems/interferences that might come up, and nip those in the bud.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the very best. Let's face it, as much as period Mickey Mantle cards, coins, et al cost, we must needs to take right proper care of them! Hey, even some of the gorgeous, more difficult to get in high grade post-career Micks are getting pricey.

Gotta make my lunch, so time to vamoose. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 06-12-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:20 AM
Patrick N.

Default 58 as

Am pretty happy with this one:

Old 06-13-2017, 07:41 AM
Henry Nich.ols

Great cards and a nice Mantle allstar card with that rich red and centered look. Also enjoy that Mantle book that was picked up. Thanks for sharing everything guys and girls.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:14 AM
nels0n aud.et

This thread is amazing guys!
Old 06-14-2017, 12:43 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default The official Mickey Mantle Pickup Thread. All Mick, all the time!

I've been lurking on this thread for a long time and have never posted anything. Since I don't have a recent Mantle pickup, I'll post my original one - this '56.

Circa 1990 at a now long-gone card shop in the mall in Hickory, NC. I walked in and gasped as I saw this beauty under the glass. I was 13 at the time and carried my cards with me on trips (this was to visit my grandparents and my cousin, so I must have had the box of good stuff in the car...) Wound up trading nearly everything I had with me that day (including a nice '61 Mantle #300 and an '89 UD Griffey RC...) but I walked out with it. Still the key card in my modest collection nearly 30 years later. It's only about VG, though might grade lower technically due to the paper loss on the bottom right corner. Other than that though it's got bright colors, near perfect centering, and no creases. Gray back...

This card has survived all of the "holder generations", incidentally. It originally lived in an inch thick lucite screw down, currently lives in a vintage sleeve and a toploader in my closet.

For my money, this is one of The Mick's best cards other than his rookies. Colorful, from an awesome set design, and of course from his triple crown year. I figure mine is not worth more than about $300 or so, but I wouldn't trade it for the world!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 06-14-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I've been lurking on this thread for a long time and have never posted anything. Since I don't have a recent Mantle pickup, I'll post my original one - this '56.

Circa 1990 at a now long-gone card shop in the mall in Hickory, NC. I walked in and gasped as I saw this beauty under the glass. I was 13 at the time and carried my cards with me on trips (this was to visit my grandparents and my cousin, so I must have had the box of good stuff in the car...) Wound up trading nearly everything I had with me that day (including a nice '61 Mantle #300 and an '89 UD Griffey RC...) but I walked out with it. Still the key card in my modest collection nearly 30 years later. It's only about VG, though might grade lower technically due to the paper loss on the bottom right corner. Other than that though it's got bright colors, near perfect centering, and no creases. Gray back...

This card has survived all of the "holder generations", incidentally. It originally lived in an inch thick lucite screw down, currently lives in a vintage sleeve and a toploader in my closet.

For my money, this is one of The Mick's best cards other than his rookies. Colorful, from an awesome set design, and of course from his triple crown year. I figure mine is not worth more than about $300 or so, but I wouldn't trade it for the world!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Great story and awesome card! That 1956 Topps Mantle is one of my favorite Mantle cards ever. Amazing how you got that when you were 13 and it still looks like it is in decent condition.. I would forever hold on to that card. The cards I have from when I first started collecting didn't survive the card binders, so they all don't look too good.. lol. Thanks for sharing your card and story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
Am pretty happy with this one:

Nicely centered and great color! That card is on my want list!

Last edited by REGGIE206; 06-14-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:31 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Amazing how you got that when you were 13 and it still looks like it is in decent condition..
Thanks. Remember I was 13 in the prime of the Beckett era. Baseball cards were front-page news. This card has never spent more than 30 seconds or so not in some type of case...at least while I've had it. :-)
Old 06-14-2017, 05:54 PM
D@le Irv*n

That 56 is also one of my favorite, Mantles, and I plan on owning one someday soon.

Great story, too. Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-14-2017, 09:37 PM
Val Kehl

John, your post of your 1956 Topps Mantle prompts me to post mine, which I got out of a 5-cent wax pack in 1956, a few months before I turned 13 in November of that year. I know that this is a favorite Mantle card of many collectors, but truth be told, I have always liked the Mick's 1957-1960 Topps issues, which I also got as a kid, much better. Heck, I even like his 1955 Bowman card better. Although I like the background action on the 1956 card, there is something about Mantle's facial that just doesn't do it for me.
Val
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956T Mantle - front.jpg (78.0 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpg 1956T Mantle - back.jpg (80.6 KB, 326 views)
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:57 PM
Kris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
John, your post of your 1956 Topps Mantle prompts me to post mine, which I got out of a 5-cent wax pack in 1956, a few months before I turned 13 in November of that year. I know that this is a favorite Mantle card of many collectors, but truth be told, I have always liked the Mick's 1957-1960 Topps issues, which I also got as a kid, much better. Heck, I even like his 1955 Bowman card better. Although I like the background action on the 1956 card, there is something about Mantle's facial that just doesn't do it for me.
Val

I agree with you in the facial pic. Unsettling. But that is great centering on a 3.5. Awesome card.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:39 AM
H Murphy

Default 1954 Mantle All Star Photo Packs

Having caught the "Mantle Bug" and as usual late to the party have been on the lookout for period items within my budget. Items like these "photo packs' are an avenue to collect without breaking the bank. Picked up this nice SGC 40 and a decent SGC 20, writing on the back, over the last 2 months.
1954 Mantle Photo Pack,  SGC 40 photo IMG_0333.jpg
Old 06-22-2017, 12:50 PM

Extremely nice Mantle photo, Hugh. I love it. You have good taste in selecting an eye-appealing photo for a fraction of the price of a mainstream card. Simply beautiful Mantle item that, frankly, would hold its own in a display with the gum cards.

Thanks for sharing your joy with us, bro. Wishing you the best in pursuing The Commerce Comet. You needn't feel lousy for being late to the party. Some of us have deeper regret over parting with Mickey Mantles we sold off over 20 years ago, and can't get back now, no matter what. We had our good reasons, but the hurt is still there. Part of me misses the massive value appreciation, whilst part of me simply misses the attractive cards.

One thing you have going for you is that you have good taste and the intelligence to think outside the mainstream current.

---Brian Powell
Old 06-22-2017, 08:05 PM
H Murphy

Thanks for the encouragement Brian and as we said before acquiring Mantle items and staying somewhat on a budget can be trying but is possible and fun. As far as these photo pack, premiums, team issues etc type examples there seems to be quite a bit of cross over from year to year with one being the "1951 Wheaties" issue( those are cool threads). As always, great thread to follow for it`s ongoing info additions and updates. Again, thanks for the encouragement and happy hunting to all the Mantle fans out there.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:51 PM
Dustin Bellinger

That is a great photo! I love the large oversized cards, premiums, and photos and would be thrilled with that item!

Well done, sir!

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:42 PM
Michael

My most recent Mantle "card," the packaging from the 1956 Big League Statue.

TUM301 - The Yankee photo packs are great ways to get interesting, inexpensive Mantles. I think some of the ones on eBay are way over priced, so as long as you're patient, you should be able to get some good deals.

WhiteyMet - thanks for the heads up on the '55 Exhibit Mantle post card variation. Something else to add to my want list.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mantle 1956 Big League Package Card.jpg (77.0 KB, 200 views)
Old 06-24-2017, 07:31 PM
Chris

Congrats on the pickup Mike! That's such a cool "card".

As for the Exhibit backs, don't let yourself get sucked in . First you pick those up, then you'll be chasing the weird arcade stamps and the Dad's Cookies back. Do like I do and just get the fronts
Old 06-24-2017, 08:44 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post

As for the Exhibit backs, don't let yourself get sucked in . First you pick those up, then you'll be chasing the weird arcade stamps and the Dad's Cookies back. Do like I do and just get the fronts
Hey Chris:

What kind of Mantle collector are you?? Don't get sucked in to the rare exhibits you tell Mike? http://www.net54baseball.com/forum/i...lies/smile.gif

And here I thought you were a SERIOUS Mantle collector!

Funny though, you contacted ME about my Exhibit Miami Fun Fair back. Trying to cut down your competition? http://www.net54baseball.com/forum/i...lies/smile.gif

I still owe you a reply on that.
Fred

Last edited by whiteymet; 06-24-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:47 AM
Chris

Haha, I love the obscure Mantle variations, but my walllet and wife aren't huge fans . I do like the odd arcade stamps and could avoid some competition there.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:41 PM
Michael

Quote:

"Do like I do and just get the fronts"

Do you slice the cards in half and throw the back away?
Old 06-26-2017, 01:46 PM
Michael

It's okay Fred. I'm trying to persuade Chris to get the 1962 Life Magazine with the Mantle/Maris Post insert with a label from every state. Plus I think he should throw Puerto Rico and Guam in for good measure. If I'm successful, that should keep him out of our hair as we go for the rare exhibits.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:49 PM
Michael

Getting back to the Mick, here is a card that has been on my list for a while. It's the 1969 Malanga. I'd never seen it before now. And after seeing it I can sort of guess why. It's not a very attractive card to say the least.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mantle 1969 Malanga.jpg (79.1 KB, 226 views)
Old 06-26-2017, 06:18 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMike View Post
Getting back to the Mick, here is a card that has been on my list for a while. It's the 1969 Malanga. I'd never seen it before now. And after seeing it I can sort of guess why. It's not a very attractive card to say the least.
Haha, I have Puerto Rico and Guam . I do love the Exhibit variations and would definitely be chasing them if the bank account would allow for it. Unfortunately, with my recent job change, I don't think there will be much of a card budget left for me, at least not until my son gets drafted by the Yankees.

What's the Malanga? I saw pictures of it in the recent pickup thread but assumed it was a more recent item or magazine cut out or something. Any details?
Old 06-27-2017, 06:41 AM
Michael

Quote:
What's the Malanga? I saw pictures of it in the recent pickup thread but assumed it was a more recent item or magazine cut out or something. Any details?
Chris, everything I know about this set comes from Beckett:

"This 12-card set was issued in four strips of three cards each measuring approximately 8 1/2" by 3 3/4" and could be obtained from the artist. The fronts carry very crude black-and-white drawings of New York Yankee players by Rocco Malanga. The backs are blank. The cards are unnumbered and checklisted below in alphabetical order."

Up until getting the set, I had never seen it before.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:29 AM
Chris

Thanks Mike. Very interesting. Glad you landed it!
Old 06-27-2017, 11:25 AM
nels0n aud.et

my 2 mickey mantle cards. Just received the 53.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_vezina_c55 View Post

Wow! Those are amazing! Congrats!
Old 06-27-2017, 05:06 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_vezina_c55 View Post

Great looking cards, Nelson!
Old 06-28-2017, 04:14 PM
Michael

Ah Nelson, the elusive '52 Topps Mantle. Still don't have it and probably never will. I have to console myself with other things such as this that came in today. A Japanese magazine for the Yankees' 1955 tour of Japan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mantle 1955 Japanese magazine.jpg (77.1 KB, 278 views)
Old 06-28-2017, 04:20 PM
H Murphy

Nice job Nelson, also really dig the unusual "55" Mantle tour magazine Mike. Enjoy seeing unique mantle items like this. Keep posting boys, can`t get enough.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:25 PM
nels0n aud.et

thx everyone !
next : probably
1956 topps or 1953 bowman color or little chance for the 52 bowman

Last edited by g_vezina_c55; 06-28-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:58 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMike View Post
Ah Nelson, the elusive '52 Topps Mantle. Still don't have it and probably never will. I have to console myself with other things such as this that came in today. A Japanese magazine for the Yankees' 1955 tour of Japan.
Gorgeous piece. I saw that and immediately thought of you. Glad you landed it.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:21 AM
Michael

Quote:
Gorgeous piece. I saw that and immediately thought of you. Glad you landed it.
Thanks Chris. I was really surprised nobody else bid on it. But really glad no one did.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:03 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I won this at Heritage last night. When they add in all the fees and tax, it comes out to $1928 -- which as it turns out is the same price this one sold for on eBay:

So now I'm curious. Which one do most of you prefer?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1951 Bowman Mantle.jpg (63.4 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg 1951 Bowman Mantle back.jpg (64.6 KB, 229 views)
Old 06-30-2017, 09:42 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

@Glen..yours is better b/c of the focus. I don't like print lines, but the creases are about equalizer on that part. Woulda love it better if not thru the middle. Your color is obvious better than the other. I see yours is a M/C miscut, if sent to PSA.
Either way, Congrats you got a nice 51 Mick RC.
@ Nelson- our Canadian friend here---I saw your 52, nice indeed. And adding a 53, your on a great start on the Mick run.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:58 PM
nels0n aud.et

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
@Glen..yours is better b/c of the focus. I don't like print lines, but the creases are about equalizer on that part. Woulda love it better if not thru the middle. Your color is obvious better than the other. I see yours is a M/C miscut, if sent to PSA.
Either way, Congrats you got a nice 51 Mick RC.
@ Nelson- our Canadian friend here---I saw your 52, nice indeed. And adding a 53, your on a great start on the Mick run.

Glrn congrats on your rookie card of mickey. This card is on my list in a years approximately.
Thx chris for the comment. Yes i'm canadian. I bought a topps 1956 mantle yesterday so i'm at 3 topps cards now !
Will post pic when i will receive it !
Thx

Tags
marked, mickey mantle topps