NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-08-2007, 11:32 PM
Administrator

Default Hall of Famers without a card

Posted By: Dan Bretta

How many hall of famers do not have a card including executives? I'm sure there were many that were elected in the special election of Negro Leaguers last year...anyone have a list of those HoFers?

Old 12-09-2007, 03:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Alexander Cartwright.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Cartwright is in the 1950 Callahan set.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

Dan:

I assume that you mean career contemporary card. Otherwise, every HOF'er will have some type of card eventually. Here are the ones that I can think of:

Larry MacPhail
Lee MacPhail
Effa Manley
J.L. Wilkinson
Sol White
Cum Posey
Alex Pompez
George Weiss
Henry Chadwick
Alexander Cartwright
William Hulbert
Morgan Bulkeley
Candy Cummings

Old 12-09-2007, 05:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Corey R. Shanus

There is a cdv of Cartwright c. 1866. However, inasmuch as his playing days ended in 1849, there will never be a "card" of his dating to his playing days. In regard to Cummings, there is a cdv of him from 1873.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:42 AM
Administrator

There are CdV's of Cartwright and Cummings? Can you confirm them?

Jim- Callahan set doesn't count. I'm sure Dan was referring to cards contemporary to their careers.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:22 AM
Administrator

In Stephen Wong's book Smithsonian Baseball there is pictured a composite of the National Association Baltimore Club from 1873. The composite is made up of individual Cdv's of each player, including Candy Cummings (as well as Lipman Pike). The composite is almost certainly a proof for a yet-to-be-discovered Cdv of the team. If the overlay (which contains calligraphy identifying the team, year and each player) is removed the Cdv's are revealed.

In regard to the Cartwright Cdv, it is a portrait image. Interestingly it is probably the image refered to in the letter press letter sold in the Halper Sotheby's sale and which was an accompaniment to the so-called Knickerbocker baseball (a ball which in my view requires a leap of faith as large as the Grand Canyon to believe it was ever used by the Knickerbockers). In the letter Cartwright specifically refers to a Cdv he recently had made, and the Cdv can be dated by a reference the letter makes to the rumor that Currier and Ives would be coming out with a baseball print. That print of course is the famous "The American National Game of Baseball" image, published 1866. Hence the dating of the Cdv to around that year.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:28 AM
Administrator

Comparing the leap of faith to the Grand Canyon is probably a bit too conservative. Perhaps equal to the circumference of one of Jupiter's moons would be more precise.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Umpire Tommy Connolly has no career contemporary cards.
Ed Barrow, an executive, does not (unless you count team composites).
If you don't count CDVs and studio cabinets, George Wright has no cards.
Among the recent inductees, Walter O'Malley has no cards.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Here's the front and verso of the Cartwright Cdv.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken W.

Corey, who owns that Cartwright CDV? I have a Studio Cabinet of him from the 1880's. (Have posted this before):

Old 12-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: B.C.Daniels

those are amazing!

BcD

Old 12-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DMcD

An acquaintance of mine in Honolulu has a scholarly collection of Hawaiiana, particularly as it pertains to the old Hawaiian monarchy. He shared with me this afternoon that portion of his collection that relates to Alexander Cartwright who came to Honolulu in 1849 and remained here until his death in 1892. Cartwright was, in turns, the founder of the Honolulu Fire Department, an insurance businessman, a civic leader and a financial advisor to the Royal Family.

The collection I saw comprised five notebooks and consisted of various photographs of Cartwright, his wife, their family home (which as it turns out was kitty-corner from St Andrews Cathedral in downtown Honolulu where my wife pulls soprano duty in the choir; AC would have seen the church edifice from his lanai back in the day), numerous documents relating to his business dealings, his membership in the Hawaii Base Ball Association, deeds in the Hawaiian language, etc etc. Many documents held his ornate signature and were wonderful to behold. There was, alas, no indication of his favorite breakfast cereal.

I was able to shoot some quick-and-dirty digital snapshots of a few of the items. Following are a CdV made by the same Chase of Honolulu as Corey's, a large dag of a younger Cartwright, and last, a copy of a photo held by the Bishop Museum (with Corey's CdV image) which indicates a date of 1865.

I should add that my friend is very rigorous in his desire to remain anonymous and is aware that many of his Cartwright items would fetch a pretty penny but has no desire to tender offers or part with any of his collection (in case anyone wondered).

Old 12-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken W.

Cool, Dave! Nice discovery. And here, I thought I had the only Cartwright card in existence. Now, I find that mine isn't even his "rookie!"