NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-04-2012, 07:03 AM
John Michael

Default My proposed hobby book...........................

.......or booklet. A book covering reprint cards and sets. In may sound silly to some but, I can't be alone in my interest. I can't help but notice that those frowned upon reprint sets, issued in the eighties have jumped in value while regular issues from that same period have languished.
Why the need? To create a comprehensive guide in order to help with identifying all the various companies that made these cards and the year(s) in which they were released-- example, the T 206 issued by Renata Galasso Vs. the less expensive to obtain and superior in quality Card Collector Company set. TCMA and Topps were two more major players with a long history of reprint preductions. Upper Deck also got in the act. And all the various T 206 Honus Wagner promo cards, the list could go on and on.
Topps and UD issues are often covered in price (and information) guides, the other major issuers are not. Also helpful would be the distinction between reprint issues and the more imfamous (and well done) counterfit cards-- examples, the Pete Rose rookie and Nolan Ryan rookie cards that flooded the market in the late eighties.
Lastly, why did Topps feel a need to stop their archives series after three issue? I really wish it had continued. I know, I must not be a serious collector if I feel this way.......but for those that would use the "it would devalue the original cards" argument I'd say the evidence point in the other direction-- they spark interest.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Steve Birmingham

I'd be interested. I have a few of those cards, picked up randomly over the years. The TCMA stuff was more collector sets than reprints, and while the quality wasn't geat most of the time they did make some nice sets.

some other ones to maybe include are the sets or individual cards issued for various shows. Some were nice and I can't think of many that would have had a big print run.

I also collect the unlicensed cards that became common from the mid 80's on.
Beckett etc always said they'd be worthless since the people who made them could simply print more. But they're actually not that easy to find.

And when I can find them early show fliers late 70's-early 80's by about 85-86 there were just too many

Steve B
Old 03-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Al Richter

Default Reprint Cards

Larry Fritsch has a Catalog, which I think can be accessed on line, with a pretty comprehensive list of reprint sets with descriptions for sale
Old 03-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Bi11..R0berts

What I'd like to see is a book showing all the known reprints sets with tips on how to identify them vs. the original cards. If not for anything else it would make it harder for the scammers out there to sell the reprints as originals.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:06 PM
John Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Larry Fritsch has a Catalog, which I think can be accessed on line, with a pretty comprehensive list of reprint sets with descriptions for sale
Larry Fritsch Inc has sold out of many reprint sets that are no longer included on the site. It also includes only one unspecified version of any given set. And zero hockey reprints. It's meant to help sell what he has in stock, nothing beyond that. I'd like more-- I know, never happen.

Last edited by theseeker; 03-04-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:07 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I agree with you on that Bill. I always liked when the "Standard Catalog" had some of these type of things listed, along with fantasy pieces.. Kinda like the St. Loius Browns(most notably Satchel Paige) pen clips(or whatever they're called). Most people assume they're from the '50s and sell them that way. Meanwhile the Standard Catalog lists them as fantasy pieces from the 80's. I think listing 'em is alot better for the hobby than simply not mentioning 'em..
Old 03-04-2012, 01:15 PM
John Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by brob28 View Post
What I'd like to see is a book showing all the known reprints sets with tips on how to identify them vs. the original cards. If not for anything else it would make it harder for the scammers out there to sell the reprints as originals.
I don't know about that, don't all the legitimate reprint sets (and by legitimate I mean that they were print for the expressed purpose of being used as reprints) have instantly identifiable markings and/or size variations from the originals? But a book that would include helping to identify some of the better made fakes that are floating around would be very helpful.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:12 AM
Rich Klein

Always worth doing the research. A booklet is not a bad idea, go for it, understand you will not sell a lot of copies so either be ready to do this for a loss Or do a job like Adam does and charge enough $$$ to understand that is your audience.

Rich
Old 03-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Steve

Default Reprints versus counterfeits

Quote:
Originally Posted by theseeker View Post
I don't know about that, don't all the legitimate reprint sets (and by legitimate I mean that they were print for the expressed purpose of being used as reprints) have instantly identifiable markings and/or size variations from the originals? But a book that would include helping to identify some of the better made fakes that are floating around would be very helpful.
Good point John - Apparently, many newbies confuse the two simply because the reprint sets are not all that common and so assume they were printed as exact duplications.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:55 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
Good point John - Apparently, many newbies confuse the two simply because the reprint sets are not all that common and so assume they were printed as exact duplications.
Guys, I and many other newbies know about the reprint sets but I've seen a lot of those reprint cards that were later altered to look like originals. If there is information to help the newb's identify any items like this isn't it better for all in the hobby? A book with info on the better or more frequent fakes would be great part to that book. The knowledge I've gained from the many knowledgeable people on this and other forums has helped me and others numerous times but all this information in one source would be great, in my humble newbie opinion.

Last edited by brob28; 03-05-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Steve

Didn't mean to characterize anyone with the term, newbie - was just pointing out what may be a misperception by collectors not too familiar with reprint sets. The fakes produced from reprints that I have seen were mostly very obvious. They usually involved just erasing the reprint copyright line or photoshopping a facsimile of a genuine copyright line over it. This might be enough to fool a rather naive buyer not familiar with the genuine article, but such other indicators of fakery, such as the size, cardstock and coloration would, or should, be immediate tip-offs, even to a hobby novice. I wonder if illustrations of counterfeits could help as much as simply knowing what a genuine card looks and feels like.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Bi11..R0berts

I agree Steve, I've seen a lot of bad attempts at erasing copyrights etc. Nothing will ever be as good as actually handling a card in person. I'll admit to being a newb when it comes to pre-war and getting farmiliar with some of the sets is part of my battle. One article I read decscribed in detail the method of printing used to create the gold borders on T205's and what to look for in originals. It has been priceless to me because it not only helps me authenticate cards but also helps when identifying alterations. This is the type of information I'm thinking about. If there was a book to pass this information on it would be a great benefit to the newer collectors. I do agree with you though, that there are somethings that are, and should be obvious to a collector. As an example I believe the 52 Topps reprint set cards are smaller than the originals. Anyway, no offense at the Newb remark, I am a pre-war newb and I'm starved for information to jump into the pre-world/turn of the century world with my eys open.

Cheers,
Old 03-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Bob Lemke

Default Good luck, but . . .

Back in the early-mid 1990s we (SCD) published a book with every known counterfeit card. That was in the days before everyone had scanners and laser printers. There were probably 50-75 or so. We had detailed microphotos and other information on how to spot each known fake.

I think the book had a cover price of $19.95. If it prevented a dealer or collector from getting stuck with just one fake card, he would have more than made up the cost.

I believe there were three editions and I doubt if 5,000 copies in total were ever sold. And this was at a time when it was believed there were 20,000+ brick-and-mortar card shops in operation around the U.S.A.

In one of the editions, we DID have a list of known reprint sets, as well; the Larry Fritsch Cards sets, Galasso, Card Collectors Co., etc.

On a different note . . .

When I was doing the Standard Catalog, I began compiling checklists of the many 1980s-1990s "broder" sets, both the actual Broder-produced cards and the many imitators. Information, especially complete checklists, was not so easy to come by in those pre-internet/eBay days, but I had information on about 50 such sets.

They were entered into the book's data base, but the information was never published.

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 03-06-2012, 04:11 PM
John Michael

#13 Today, 04:09 PM
Bob Lemke
Bob Lemke
Member Join Date: Apr 2009

Good luck, but . . .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Back in the early-mid 1990s we (SCD) published a book with every known counterfeit card. That was in the days before everyone had scanners and laser printers. There were probably 50-75 or so. We had detailed microphotos and other information on how to spot each known fake.

I think the book had a cover price of $19.95. If it prevented a dealer or collector from getting stuck with just one fake card, he would have more than made up the cost.

I believe there were three editions and I doubt if 5,000 copies in total were ever sold. And this was at a time when it was believed there were 20,000+ brick-and-mortar card shops in operation around the U.S.A.

In one of the editions, we DID have a list of known reprint sets, as well; the Larry Fritsch Cards sets, Galasso, Card Collectors Co., etc"

Would you happen to know the title of the book and which edition had the list of the known reprint set? Mr Lemke......anyone...........

Last edited by theseeker; 03-06-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Bob, that would be a great book to have and is exactly what I'd love to have. Any idea on where I could come by one or the title so I can ask around?
Old 03-06-2012, 09:24 PM
John Michael

Not Bob but, I looked it up and this must be it......"Sportscard Counterfeit Detector." There are indeed 3 edition; 1992, 1993, and 1994.

Don't know which contained the list of reprint sets so I bought all three on Amazon. I'm a bit impulsive at times and besides all three were under $30.00.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:29 AM
Steve Birmingham

They're pretty good books too, although they do get a bit tedious because the same sort of things are in the list of what to look for. I have the first two, and didn't know about the third.

I don't think either lists legit reprints, just fakes meant to decieve.

I have a fake that isn't in the book, and it predates any other fakes I've seen. Wood isn't in the 120 series. I got it in 1978 at a show.
Of course I'd be quite happy to find out it's not fake.

Steve B

Old 03-08-2012, 01:10 AM
Bi11..R0berts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theseeker View Post
Not Bob but, I looked it up and this must be it......"Sportscard Counterfeit Detector." There are indeed 3 edition; 1992, 1993, and 1994.

Don't know which contained the list of reprint sets so I bought all three on Amazon. I'm a bit impulsive at times and besides all three were under $30.00.
Thanks for the info John. I ordered mine tonight, looking forward to what information is within!
Old 03-09-2012, 01:30 AM
Sc0tt F0rgue

Instead of a book why not just build a website? I'd be interested in either one.

I actually collect reprint sets. They're cheap and fun. I also like a lot of the retro or fantasy stuff and collect almost all of it, except the Helmar stuff which is just ridiculously expensive. No way am I paying that much for a fantasy card when I could get the real thing for the same price.

I have that counterfeit card book (somewhere). It saved a friend of mine $600 on a fake 86-87 Fleer Jordan. It was definitely useful and an update book or website would be great.

Scott F

Last edited by forgerelli; 03-09-2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:08 PM
John Michael

Default Calling Bob Lemke............................................. ...

where are you?

I just got the "Sportscard Counterfeit Detector by Bob Lemke and Sally Grace, 3rd Edition" book courtesy of the USPS. Great work, including the exhausive list of Reprints. The reprint list included the complete Hassan Triple Folders set. I was told by many in the hobby, incluuding Larry Fritsch's son, that no such set exists. The six cards in one of the Dover books was all there is. Yet I seem to recall ordering a nice, glossy full set from the Card Collector's Company in the early ninties.

Is it a case of mistaken memory? Could the legendary Bob Lemke have made a mistake on his list? --OR-- WAS THIS COMPLETE SET INDEED MADE INTO A REPRINT? Bob? Sally? Anybody?

Last edited by theseeker; 03-10-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Bob Lemke

Hello John,

More than 15 years later, I can't recall if the listing for the complete T202 triplefolders reprint list was valid or not. Didn't Topps reprint some of them, along with triplefolders cards of more recent or then-current players in the mid-late 1990s? It is possible the inclusion of the complete set in that list was based on a n announcement by LFC or CCC that they were planning such a set, but it never camer to fruition.

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 03-11-2012, 02:11 PM
Sc0tt F0rgue

It was Upper Deck that did a T202 type set with more recent players, It was called All Time Heroes of Baseball. They were pretty neat cards and they benefited the B.A.T. charity.

They did reprint a few of the original T202's, but I'm pretty sure only 10 cards were reprinted.

Here's a few ebay listings:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-UPPER-D...item19ce730daf

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-UD-All-...item4601a6ee96

Scott F
Old 03-11-2012, 02:45 PM
John Michael

Thanks Bob, the book was a great find, excellent effort. And thank you Scott, those do look nice.

Last edited by theseeker; 03-11-2012 at 02:45 PM.