NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-28-2011, 04:43 PM

Default Advice--1934 Tour of Japan ball

Hi all,

I came across this forum while researching an item I'd like to sell. It seems like there a lot of good people here with integrity so I decided to join. I'm not a collector but understand the basics of the grading/selling "game." I'm hoping you might be able to give me some advice.

I have a ball signed by the American team who did the 1934 Tour of Japan (Ruth, Gehrig, Foxx, Mack, etc.). It was given to me by a relative and has been authenticated by William Tell.

I sent photos to one of the major auction houses, who told me they don't think it's authentic and that I should have PSA look at it. I'm prepared to do that, but I don't want to waste $250 or more.

I've researched every sale and photo of this item I can find online, and I honestly believe it's authentic. Among the reasons:

1. The ball is made by Draper-Maynard, who, from what I've read, stopped making baseballs in 1962.

2. Draper-Maynard was big in Japan around that time.

3. The ball has the signatures of every American--19 in all, including the umpire--who went on the tour. Even the signatures of the no-name players look very much like those on the same ball that have sold at major auctions.

In sum, it's by no means out of the question, but it would be a highly elaborate fraud. Most of the value is in the Ruth signature. I'd think forging a whole bunch of Ruth balls would be a better use of one's time and effort.

Ideally, I'd prefer not to play the game, just on principle--forking over a bunch of money to someone when I have no way of knowing the time invested in the service or the person's expertise. But I also realize the buyer is paying for the authentication, not the item, and I don't want to get $5k for a $20k item.

I've attached photos here. To be honest, the photos make the ball seem more white and the signatures more clear than they really are. That may be why the auction house doesn't think it's authentic. But the ball is definitely in better condition than most others I've seen online. It's tan-colored, and the signatures are consistently faded but easily legible.

Any advice about navigating the process would be appreciated. I guess as far as specific questions:

1. Any thoughts on its authenticity?

2. If I send it to PSA, is there anything I should be worried about? I've heard of items coming back damaged. Also, I'd be shipping it back and forth across the country and then again to the auction house, which concerns me.

3. Are there any resources for finding a private collector, such as a Ruth expert, who doesn't need a PSA LOA to have faith in the authenticity?

Thank you in advance for your advice.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Brock

I dont know anything about autographs really, but doesn't look good to me. Too clean
Old 06-28-2011, 04:49 PM

Hi, Jeff. IMHO as one who has collected vintage Yankee material for fifty years, the auction house is correct--the ball is not authentic.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Jeremy W.

William Tell tells it all. Not looking good.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:08 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Agree with all of the above...

Don't waste more money with PSA. Cut your losses here. The ball is no good, and there's absolutely no way it's going to pass PSA or Spence.

I have yet to see a William Tell Authenticated item that's good. Sorry
Old 06-28-2011, 05:30 PM

Thank you all for the replies. Honestly, the ball is not that clean looking. The photos must have been taken with a flash. It's yellowish, similar to the one in David Atkatz's avatar. I just took some photos and will try to upload later.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Steve Zarelli

Looks like all the signatures were signed by the same person. No variance in pressure, slant, flow, etc.

Last edited by Mr. Zipper; 06-28-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Christopher Williams

It's irrelevant if the ball is clean or dirty, or authenticated by Frank Garo (William Tell) or Morales. We should never assume anything based on a COA (as Spence found out).

The autographs are what matters and they are horrific.

Perezfan is correct when he writes that he's never seen anything certed by William Tell that is authentic. Neither have I.

That ball probably originated from Coach's Corner. Frank Garo was their authenticator at one time. And Coach's Corner still auctions off between 6-12 "1934 Tour Of Japan" signed baseballs (I have yet to see one from them that I would consider authentic).

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 06-28-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:22 PM
J@RR0D

Sorry Jeff, but even in my limited auto experience, I don't like them either. Babe and Lou on the sweet spot? How convenient...

Good luck.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:47 AM

Default Tour

I have always been extremely interested in the tour and always amazed by home many team balls there are on the market but you never see other items even photos
Old 06-29-2011, 08:49 PM

I'd love to pick up a ball like that as an admitted fake with a reasonable price. It still kind of looks cool and I could never afford something like that that's genuine. It would look great in the vintage baseball room I'm setting up.
http://s241.photobucket.com/home/woundedduck/allalbums
Old 06-29-2011, 09:57 PM

Just make one.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Just make one.
LOL
Old 06-30-2011, 08:44 AM
Barry Sloate

I'll also add that all those signatures look like they were made by one person. It's a bad fake.