NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 06-11-2017, 09:20 PM
Tony Quinn

Default Congrats NHL Champs Pittsburgh Penguins!

As a current resident of Nashville, I congratulate Pitts. on winning the Cup.
Nashville fans are classless fools. Throwing stuff on the ice and booing during the celebration on the ice. I'm glad those cheap shot, goalie banging, swan divers lost and I hope they never make it back. PK Subban is a punk and now I know why Montreal was glad to see him go.
Go Blackhawks - Go Pens!
Old 06-12-2017, 05:23 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

+1

That was embarrassing for Nashville.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:48 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Here are my thoughts on Penguins winning the cup:

First off, let me discuss the disallowed Nashville goal in the 2nd period. Now although I was rooting for the Penguins, I am going to admit that it was a bad call. The ref clearly lost sight of the puck and blew the play dead when he shouldn't have. It was clear that the other refs weren't happy with this call either. Now there is just one question I have: did the Penguins players hear the whistle and stop playing? Did the Penguins goalie hear the whistle and stop playing? Because if they did stop playing, then allowing the goal would have been really bad. Either way, this will always be a controversial call and fans will discuss this for a long time.

It seemed to me that the refs tried to make up for this mistake afterwards by awarding Nashville power plays. They were given at least 4 PPs, including a 5 vs. 3 opportunity, however they failed to score a single goal. Penguins weren't given a single PP the whole night. Furthermore, Nashville didn't score a single goal in game 5 either and Pekka Rinne couldn't stop an inflatable beach volleyball from getting past him in Pittsburgh - all of this is the reason why the team failed to win.

Now here is what surprised me: the Penguins won the cup without their #1 defenseman (Kris Letang). Imagine how Nashville would have looked like without Subban. What about an Ottawa team without Erik Karlsson or LA Kings without Drew Doughty? All those goals scored against the Penguins were due to Letang not being there, and yet they still found a way to win. This is very impressive.

Now the only thing which I didn't understand is why did the NHL award Crosby the Conn Smythe trophy? Was he the best player on his team during this playoff run? I don't think so. Now I am not trying to take anything away from him here. He was concussed (again!) and yet he came back after only a few days rest and fought like a true warrior, however, did he deserve it more than Malkin and rookie forward Jake Guentzel?

Anyways, congrats to the people of Pittsburgh. First you had Lemieux and Jagr win you two cups, and then Crosby and Malkin won you another three. You guys are very lucky to have gotten such amazing players in the draft. This is a really exciting time to be a hockey fan in the city of Pittsburgh.

And to the Nashville fans, you guys have been great. It's great to see hockey getting some love in the south. I know many of you went nuts last night and I don't blame you. You guys came so close, so this is definitely something that will sting for a long time. Anyhow, you have a very deadly team and I won't be surprised if you win it all next year.

Last edited by samosa4u; 06-12-2017 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 06-13-2017, 06:37 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Here are my thoughts on Penguins winning the cup:

First off, let me discuss the disallowed Nashville goal in the 2nd period. Now although I was rooting for the Penguins, I am going to admit that it was a bad call. The ref clearly lost sight of the puck and blew the play dead when he shouldn't have. It was clear that the other refs weren't happy with this call either. Now there is just one question I have: did the Penguins players hear the whistle and stop playing? Did the Penguins goalie hear the whistle and stop playing? Because if they did stop playing, then allowing the goal would have been really bad. Either way, this will always be a controversial call and fans will discuss this for a long time.

It seemed to me that the refs tried to make up for this mistake afterwards by awarding Nashville power plays. They were given at least 4 PPs, including a 5 vs. 3 opportunity, however they failed to score a single goal. Penguins weren't given a single PP the whole night. Furthermore, Nashville didn't score a single goal in game 5 either and Pekka Rinne couldn't stop an inflatable beach volleyball from getting past him in Pittsburgh - all of this is the reason why the team failed to win.

Now here is what surprised me: the Penguins won the cup without their #1 defenseman (Kris Letang). Imagine how Nashville would have looked like without Subban. What about an Ottawa team without Erik Karlsson or LA Kings without Drew Doughty? All those goals scored against the Penguins were due to Letang not being there, and yet they still found a way to win. This is very impressive.

Now the only thing which I didn't understand is why did the NHL award Crosby the Conn Smythe trophy? Was he the best player on his team during this playoff run? I don't think so. Now I am not trying to take anything away from him here. He was concussed (again!) and yet he came back after only a few days rest and fought like a true warrior, however, did he deserve it more than Malkin and rookie forward Jake Guentzel?

Anyways, congrats to the people of Pittsburgh. First you had Lemieux and Jagr win you two cups, and then Crosby and Malkin won you another three. You guys are very lucky to have gotten such amazing players in the draft. This is a really exciting time to be a hockey fan in the city of Pittsburgh.

And to the Nashville fans, you guys have been great. It's great to see hockey getting some love in the south. I know many of you went nuts last night and I don't blame you. You guys came so close, so this is definitely something that will sting for a long time. Anyhow, you have a very deadly team and I won't be surprised if you win it all next year.
Well said, but I also think with Fiala and Johansen being out, they were in way tougher than Pittsburgh was yet still did great. The disallowed goal was definitely a game changer, but it's water under the bridge now.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:39 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

A website dedicated to sports card collectors and you can't get 5 people to respond to a thread on the NHL championship series. Everything you need to know about the 4th tier status of hockey in the US. You could get 5 people on this board to discuss a tiddlywinks champion from 1925.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:17 PM
Tony Quinn

Maybe I should have included the phrase "shill bidding" or T206 in the title.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:50 AM
Murr the Blurr

The Penguins beat long odds to become the first back-to-back Stanley Cup champions in 19 years ... and the first in the cap era. And Crosby and Malkin only solidified their standing as the best 1-2 punch in the league. Malkin's performance underlined the absurdity of leaving him off the list of the NHL's all-time "100 greatest," which was unveiled as part of the league's centennial celebration earlier this year. Malkin is twice the player Darryl Sittler ever was (he made the list). Sittler, Borje Salming and Brendan Shanahan could easily be replaced by the likes Malkin, Mark Recchi, Steve Shutt, Rod Langway and Guy Lapointe -- to name just a few.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:56 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
A website dedicated to sports card collectors and you can't get 5 people to respond to a thread on the NHL championship series. Everything you need to know about the 4th tier status of hockey in the US. You could get 5 people on this board to discuss a tiddlywinks champion from 1925.
A lot of hockey fans I know hate the Penguins, so I'm not surprised this thread got very few replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
Maybe I should have included the phrase "shill bidding" or T206 in the title.
Or "PWCC, READ THIS RIGHT NOW!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writehooks View Post
Malkin's performance underlined the absurdity of leaving him off the list of the NHL's all-time "100 greatest," which was unveiled as part of the league's centennial celebration earlier this year. Malkin is twice the player Darryl Sittler ever was (he made the list).
Yep, that is so stupid. How many cups did loser Sittler win for Toronto? ZERO!
Old 06-14-2017, 11:57 AM

[QUOTE=samosa4u;1670880]A lot of hockey fans I know hate the Penguins, so I'm not surprised this thread got very few replies.

Which is why I hesitated to post lol. I'm a life long Pens fan, but don't want to get jumped on for saying anything positive about them. It's cool to have people on this board who just talk hockey without the constant slagging you get seemingly everywhere else.

I was really surprised they won this year with all the injuries they had.

Completed - 1967 Topps Baseball, 1969 Greiner Tires Pirates, 1964 Topps Giants

Working on - 1967 Topps Test Stickers - Pirates 31/33 just need the 2 Clemente’s

Also looking for a 1970's Spalding Advisory Staff photo of Richie Hebner.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:16 PM
Mike Lenart

I am not a Pittsburgh fan but like them better than Nashville and glad they won. I have never been a Subban fan. With Montreal, he always seemed to make more bad plays than good ones. Don't know how he played with Nashville this year.
maybe the change was good for him.

Mike
Old 06-15-2017, 11:17 AM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Original 6

Hockey fans are a unique breed.
I hardly know any, but the ones I know are very passionate.
Seems you either love hockey or ignore it.

That's easily cured by going to a game (*with good seats if you are a novice)

Myself...I don't like new teams or team's in the south yet
I think they need to pay their dues.

The Original Six is a unique sports phenomenon, imagine Football or Baseball playing a full season against just 5 opponents!
I cheer a little for all the O-six teams even though I am a Red Wings fan and they have deep rivalries with the other 5.

Then I find myself cheering for the welldoing of the former WHL teams who joined the NHL in the 70's. Or maybe the big expansion era teams of the mid sixties above the newer expansion teams that went into warm climates where there is no outdoor ice.

I will cheer for any hockey team or hockey player above a single NBA Team or player though...I don't understand the way that game has changed...maybe it knows what it's doing though since NBA popularity exceeds NHL by 100 to 1.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.

Last edited by familytoad; 06-15-2017 at 11:18 AM.