NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Default A T206 printing question for Bill Heitman, or anyone ?

Posted By: Harry Wallace (HW)

In my opinion, they were definitely in sheets. Sheets of Obaks and E cards exist. Why would T206 cards be produced any differently?

Also, one of the old timers (Nagy?) had a sheet of T204 Ramlys that he cut apart himself to make a set.
They were sold in one of the big aucitons a few years ago. SGC graded them all. I think that there were a bunch 84s, 88s and 92s and maybe even some 96s.

Just think what an uncut sheet of Ramlys would fetch today!

Old 03-04-2007, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

"Also, one of the old timers (Nagy?) had a sheet of T204 Ramlys that he cut apart himself to make a set.
They were sold in one of the big aucitons a few years ago. SGC graded them all. I think that there were a bunch 84s, 88s and 92s and maybe even some 96s."

When the "old-timer" cut the T204 Ramlys himself, it was indistinguishable from a factory cut? So the grading companies could not tell if it was hand cut? If that's the case, is it possible for someone to cut an uncut sheet today and get a bunch of graded NM-MT and MINT cards?

Old 03-05-2007, 04:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

King- it's possible if the graders just take a cursory look at a card, but if they examine it carefully they should be able to detect that it's fresh cut. It's part of this whole idea that the graders need to be more thorough.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

are fairly easily distinguishable if you know what to look for AND SGC will no longer grade them(not all were graded when the sheet was cut), and Frank Nagy did not cut them himself, they were professionally but not perfectly done.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I wonder why a collector as sophisticated as Frank Nagy would desecrate a sheet of Ramlys, something that could never be replaced?

Old 03-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

As Lipset wrote, Nagy trimmed cards to fit into album page slots(!) So cutting down a sheet into
more manageable size(s) doesn't sound as if it's against his collecting habits. I mean, have
you ever tried put an uncut sheet into a album page slot? ... Reminds me of the Monty Python skit
about the world's greatest spy who disguised him as a small dog. He had to lose 200 pounds fit to
fit into the costume. A side effect was he wouldn't pass along vital information to fellow spies
until after they took him for walkies.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

When Nagy collected, they were just baseball cards, not whatever they are today.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Nagy's collection was sold years after he died, so his collecting habbits
were those of a collector, not eBay reseller.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

1) Does anybody have a front with four fronts visible on it? The existence of such a card would, in my opinion, be definitive. Even without this card, I believe the sheets have it.

2) I believe Scot Reader posited that certain Pittsburgh players were super printed in T206. That would explain Deacon Phillipe appearing atop another player.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

As scott mentioned not all of these cards were graded when cut. I have a Plank that I believe is from the sheet. It has way oversized borders very nice card, but will not grade.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted ZAnidakis

I found only 15 - So. Lgers with HINDU backs. Most of them where at Irv Lerner's table.
I think you have them all, anyhow here is the list.....

Bernhard
Breitenstein
Greminger
Guiheen
Hickman
Hooker
Howard
Jordan
Lafitte
Lipe
Mullaney
Paige
Revelle
Shaughnessy
Violat

Gee, I was away from this Forum for 4 days and I was hoping to return and see a sheet
of T206's in some form. But, the best you guys have are strips. They are neat....but,
they do not constitute a sheet.

And, several times I've read in this Thread...."uncut sheets of Obaks or E-cards (E93) exist;
therefore, T206's must have been printed on sheets".....so, my counter to that "il-logic" is,
because these exist, then T206 sheets must exist....but, they don't. Perhaps, the T206's
were printed by some other form.....with the many millions of T206's that were produced, it
is virtually improbable that no sheets have been found.
I know I keep pounding away at this fact; but, to this T206 dude this is a greater mystery
than the Wagner, Plank, Magie, or Doyle cards.

TED Z

Old 03-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

From scans posted here we know:

1. T206s were printed vertically - often, but NOT always with the same card on top and bottom.
2. T206s were printed horizontally with different cards being printed next to one another.

I think it is safe to infer from this evidence that T206s were produced on sheets that extended both horizontally and vertically with multiple different cards per sheet. Why no sheet has made its way in uncut form to 2007 is a mystery, but that alone is not evidence that they were not produced on sheets.
JimB

Old 03-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Harry Wallace (HW)

Thanks for the information on the T204 cards. Did you guys ever see the sheet? Was it a complete set on the sheet? 11 rows of 11?

I thought that SGC did grade all of the cards. I guess not. I will have to go back through my catalogs.

I do remember seeing an image of the Johnson. I think that it was graded 9 mint. I wonder what that would go for today?