NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-31-2010, 11:19 PM
Troey

Default Hey guys, new to the forum just looking for some suggestions

I've been reading the forum for a couple of weeks now, and I am amazed by the amount of knowledge on the board. I'll be around, but probably won't be doing a lot of posting. I will just listen for a while and learn.

I am mainly looking for suggestions for someone just getting started in vintage. I collected as a kid, but never anything old. I've learned quite a bit already just from reading the board, and researching online. Anyways, if you have any suggestions on good sets for a newbie to start with, or types of cards that are good for a beginner, I would love to hear them.

Look forward to reading the boards and learning from everyone.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:24 PM
Gr.eg Per.ry

Welcome!

I would start by thinking about what era you would like to collect. 19th century, deadball era, 20's, 30's, etc.

Read up some good books like "Glory of their Times", and many other great baseball books out there. Recently published "Mint Condition" is a great read on the hobby.

Many start with the T206 set, though few finish it, you can try a subset to make it more realistic and within your budget. I would also suggest the T205 set or some caramel card issues. Most of all, just have fun!
Old 06-01-2010, 12:45 AM
Barry Arnold

Default new

Welcome aboard!!!
I would say give the T206 a try. The Monster has beautiful lithography,
many affordable cards in mid-grade, excellent research already available,
and will keep you busy, in the best way, for decades.
Do take a look at Net 54 members' list of publications and you will also see
a number of potential colleagues and friends there. Just click on Vintage
Links up above.
best,
barry
Old 06-01-2010, 12:49 AM
Jim D

collect what makes you feel good, makes you happy.... whatever catches your eye

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 06-01-2010, 05:20 AM
marty

I am with Barry.. the T206 monster is a great place to start simply because they are around every corner and you can pick up quite a few at reasonable prices.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:27 AM

Welcome.

Come to the National in Baltimore this summer & let's talk about it over some crabs & beer.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
collect what makes you feel good, makes you happy.... whatever catches your eye
Yeah Jim - As one who has followed that dictum for many years, I have to point out that, sadly, there are many who ignore it yet escape the predicted consequence.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:51 PM
David Str@@te

Can't boast the experience or wisdom of the others on board, but have you seen the T202's? Very attainable price-wise and super cool with a photo in the middle.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Jason

Default Ah yes...if it's advice you seek...

I am rarely the place to get it.
However, that rarely stops me from distributing it!

All the advice in previous posts is good and valid.
My only addition would be to add a twist to the "Buy and collect what you like" thought. Think about it from the reverse perspective, and give some thought to what an incremental collection of your target is going to look like, and whether or not that still appeals.

Here are 2 examples:
1) Vintage: T206. Be honest with yourself about how many times you are ok with shelling out $50-100 for every common card of a player you have never heard of (and may never hear an amusing anecdote about because he died 50 years ago)...because somewhere along the way (unless you possess otherworldly heroic patience and focus) you will get really sick of it.
My solution: pick a team set to cut it down into bite size piece that you can afford and learn about in a reasonable time frame. I picked the Cubs and really had a blast learning about Heine Zimmerman's place in the world. Now, that was admittedly borderline stupid because I picked one of the largest team sets in the Monster, but I did it, and I have enjoyed holding onto them for alot longer than I ever anticipated (yes, a whole 3 years and counting). What I should have done was Milwaukee, cuz it's close to Chicago & they only got 4 cards!

2) Post-war: HOF Rookies. Again, be honest about whether or not you want to buy Phil Neikro's rookie card. I fear that I have actually failed on this one, and I am now considering selling off a bunch of cards that I don't enjoy having or looking at...I know it's post-war, but the same thinking applies. I am nowhere near done on this set, probably won't ever have enough money to do it the way I would like to, and consequently, eh...feels like a waste of time and money.

If you're still reading, hopefully you were able to decipher a point, and it would also suggest that I am learning to become more succinct in my writing style!

Good luck, whatever you choose!!
Old 06-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Troey

Default Let me add this

We'll see if this changes the advice at all. I seriously doubt I will ever put together an entire set of anything vintage, just because of a) the time involved/lack of patience, and (b) I don't want to spend that much money/get divorced.

Having said that, the team thing sounds like a decent idea. I live in St. Louis, so looking for STL players might be a good place to start. Just wanted to throw out that I have no illusions of taking years, potentially decades, trying to put together one set.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:32 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

There is another alternative-don't collect. Get some books on the history of the game or particular players, ideally books with many photographic images. The books will provide plenty of interesting information and the photographs will in almost all cases provide better insights into what the players looked like and their surroundings than the cards ever would. This would keep your spending to a minimum and generate a nice reference library should you ever decide at a later date to reconsider and collect cards.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:59 AM

Another helpful resource that wouldn't cost you a cent would be to contact Robert Edward Auctions and get their last few auction catalogs. These catalogs are tremendously useful.