NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-29-2010, 05:49 PM

Default Reprint Collins McCarthy's on Ebay

These cards are being sold on Ebay and clearly identified as such. Can someone explain to me the distinquishing features to identify them as reprints? These, unfortunately look pretty good. He has at least three different players for sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1916-Collins-McC...item1c12e5da24
Old 05-29-2010, 05:55 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Cat, this guy Rawoysterman doesn't deal in legitimate reprints (if there is such a thing) which is why his listings can be tricky. For example we know the differences between M101-4 reprints and originals by the extra space around the photo and within the frame. His "reprints" will not have this obvious giveaway.

Rawoysterman simply makes his own repros using a laser printer so if he has a good image to make his s*** then the reprint he sells will look in the scan like a real one--but I'm sure once it's in hand it wouldn't fool anyone.

The basic premise here is to avoid any and all cards being sold by this jerk. He has made himself a prety good living by selling these junk reprints over the years and apparently people are still buying them, why? I haven't a clue.

-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 05-29-2010, 05:57 PM
qu@n nguy3n

he takes scans of real cards and laser print them...or whatever newest printing tech is. he does this with all popular cards...color's always a little off though.

if i was him i'd just show a pic of a real card and send out photocopies.

edit: dentists work fast

Last edited by chaddurbin; 05-29-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:18 PM

Thanks guys.

Has anyone held one of his reprints? I hope he's not trying to replicate the paper, as well.

I did a Collins McCarthy search on a whim and these came up.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:23 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Cat, here's a real one. The color is just way different.

1916 Collins - McCarthy E135
Old 05-29-2010, 06:35 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Hell of a card, Jeff...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Most of the unusual "reprints" on eBay right now are the homemade ones. The guy takes images and prints them out on inkjet printer.

He has a fake copied from one of my cards on eBay right now...
http://cgi.ebay.com/BABE-RUTH-1920-S...-/270584895021

Here is the card in my collection.

This is the 3rd time he has used an image of mine. Im sure he has done alot of Leon's and others cards too.

At lease he says "REPRINT"
Old 05-29-2010, 06:50 PM
Tony N.

Default I have 2 of his cards

I bought them off of ebay about 6 years ago. It looks like he scans the front & back of the card as two separate pieces, and then glues them together. You could see this if you look at the side of the card.

The cards also smell like maple syrup, and are somewhat fuzzy in hand.

Tony
Old 05-29-2010, 06:58 PM
David McDonald

Rawoysterman has used at least three of my cards (T210 Stengel, Voskamps Wagner, D304 Cobb) for his reprints. He likely "borrowed" the scans from my ImageEvent site which sorta sucks because I feel like I am assisting him in doing his part to make the Hobby just a bit more worse only because I like to share my collection.

Cards here, R.O., ya douche.=> http://ImageEvent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika Password=rawoysterman
Old 05-29-2010, 07:03 PM

I bought the Hornsby Collins McCarthy in the last REA and the back of the reprint he is selling has suspiciously similar centering to the one I bought.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
Rawoysterman has used at least three of my cards (T210 Stengel, Voskamps Wagner, D304 Cobb) for his reprints. He likely "borrowed" the scans from my ImageEvent site which sorta sucks because I feel like I am assisting him in doing his part to make the Hobby just a bit more worse only because I like to share my collection.

Cards here, R.O., ya douche.=> http://ImageEvent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika Password=rawoysterman
If he is stealing our scans maybe we could suggest that he change his name to "grandehuevosman." At least he got my Hornsby scan, if it is the card I own and I really haven't looked at it that close, before I owned it.

Last edited by Cat; 05-29-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:30 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Hate to say it but this sort of thing shows the value of a third party grading system. If that guy turned to making fakes and selling them as genuine there'd be no way to protect yourself other than refusing to buy unslabbed.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-01-2010, 06:41 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

This doesn't sound legal what this guy is doing. Aren't there any copyright laws that prevent people from making a copy of something and then selling it?

Why does eBay even allow this?

This is how all these garbage cards end up in circulation.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 06-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Jim D

because he sells them as reprints, he isn't breaking any laws...

what i would suggest, if you don't want your scans stolen, is to watermark them or identify them in some way...

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 06-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Matt Hall

I don't know why people buy those. He's probably using the money he makes to fund real cards, lol