NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 08-13-2018, 04:49 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Default What's the Next Modern Card/Player To Tank

Any thoughts? Modern as to Post 2000

Last edited by Johnny630; 08-13-2018 at 04:50 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:48 AM
Peter Spaeth

I wonder if the sky high prices on some of the Topps Update Trouts are sustainable given the huge supply.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:29 AM
Johnny MaZilli

I think it’s gonna tank Peter. Remember what happened with the PSA 10 Griffey 89 Rookie.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:29 AM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I wonder if the sky high prices on some of the Topps Update Trouts are sustainable given the huge supply.
Not sure about tanking, but I think it will continue a steady decline if he does not come back soon and/or gets off to a bad start when he returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
I think it’s gonna tank Peter. Remember what happened with the PSA 10 Griffey 89 Rookie.
good point, although the Update could simply bottom out around 400ish … same as the UD Griffey

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 08-13-2018, 12:01 PM

For some reason people still seem happy to spend $50 on Byron Buxton Chrome autos. I remember when they were at Kershaw prices.

Anyone who bought Gary Sanchez rookies after last season is probably pretty unhappy. Same goes for Schwarber folks.

Next great crash in my opinion is Tatis Jr. I just don't think he's as good as he appears, particularly with his ugly K to Walk rate in the low minors.

Also anyone buying Javy Baez right now is going to feel it soon. There's no way a guy is destined for greatness with a 307 lifetime on base.

Last edited by packs; 08-13-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:01 PM

Accidental double post.

Last edited by packs; 08-13-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:09 PM

I'm rooting against this happening but I'd put money on Harper.

I really want to love the guy but he makes it difficult. That being said, the guy's Q Rating is higher than anybody else in baseball so who the heck knows?

Haha, I've talked myself out of this just by typing it. I feel like so many people are in at such amounts that demand will still be through the roof even he has another down year in 2019.

I really hope it doesn't happen and I hope he rebounds and has a monster four-five year stretch.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:46 PM

I agree. I'm selling my psa 10 now. There's too many of them. And he gets hurt alot
Quote:
Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Not sure about tanking, but I think it will continue a steady decline if he does not come back soon and/or gets off to a bad start when he returns
Not saying anything about the value of the card, but Trout is a 'generational talent,' not a one year wonder still needing to prove himself.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:10 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big67 View Post
Not saying anything about the value of the card, but Trout is a 'generational talent,' not a one year wonder still needing to prove himself.
Agreed - Top 4 player, imo, over the past 50 years. I love my Trout collection and am eagerly awaiting his return! Hoping he can get back on the MVP track as well. If not him, Mookie is fine by me. But I digress ….

The Update was hitting mid 600s in PSA 10s just a month ago. Once it appeared that the Mookie/Ramierez combo was pulling ahead, it started to slip into the high 500's, then with his "slump" and outta sight, outta mind for the past 2 weeks …. modern market.

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 08-13-2018, 06:19 PM
Johnny MaZilli

If Trout would go to Philly or New York in 2020 his cards will skyrocket ! I love me some Mike Trout :-)

Last edited by Johnny630; 08-13-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:21 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

I'm going to say Aaron Judge.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:58 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Surprised nobody mentioned Ohtani.....
Old 08-21-2018, 05:22 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
I'm going to say Aaron Judge.
Interesting. And a very good bet.

I considered adding a Judge last year but never did. I like the guy (seems like a real solid person) but figured he is really just starting at age 25. I have no idea what his prices are now.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:55 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Interesting. And a very good bet.

I considered adding a Judge last year but never did. I like the guy (seems like a real solid person) but figured he is really just starting at age 25. I have no idea what his prices are now.
There's this one.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2017-Topps-H...cAAOSwj99aBETI

This same seller has some other cheapies to sell as well.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:52 AM

What is it about Aaron Judge that tells you he's likely to bust? He's injured now, but assuming his injury isn't a threat to his career, what has he done this season that has you questioning if he's for real?

Last edited by packs; 08-22-2018 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
What is it about Aaron Judge that tells you he's likely to bust? He's injured now, but assuming his injury isn't a threat to his career, what has he done this season that has you questioning if he's for real?
For me, it's the very late start and the preposterous number of Ks (I know, not that unusual these days, but still).

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:16 PM
octavio ranzola

Ohtani done tommy John surgery ,,oh well ..will people still buy ,,
Old 09-06-2018, 01:54 PM

He's still got an OPS over 900 as a hitter.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:28 PM
Mike

Everyone!
Harper
Bryant
Correa
Judge
Ohtani
Sanchez
Vlad Jr
Bellinger
Old 09-06-2018, 02:28 PM
Mike

Everyone!
Harper
Bryant
Correa
Judge
Ohtani
Sanchez
Bellinger
Vlad Jr will be on this list soon enough

Basically, they all tank except Trout (and his drop is coming)

Last edited by Canofcorn; 09-06-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:34 PM
Larry

Trout, Judge and Harper all have their potential problems. Trout seems to be developing Mantle's propensity for injury about five years too early, and heaven help him if an electronic umpire comes in for balls and strikes. He hits .213 on balls in the upper third of the strike zone, and depends all too often on the umps calling them balls rather than the strikes they are--can you say .265 batting average, anyone?

Judge simply got started too late to put up great career totals, and before he was injured, they seemed to have him changing his style to hit those little chinese homers to the short porch in right in New York, rather than the 480 foot bombs to left center that thrilled the fans. An attempt to cut down on his K's perhaps.

Harper, just in case anyone here hasn't noticed (the NL pitchers surely have, which is why they consistently try to get him out by pitching him on the outer corner), simply begins his swing incorrectly by violently yanking his lead shoulder open. The proper sequence is that the hips cock, begin to uncock as the pitcher releases the pitch, and then the hands start down with the top hand palm up. The shoulders are in sinc with the hands and arms--THEY DO NOT LEAD THE WAY! Check out some vintage footage of Ted Williams, Mantle, or even Rhys Hopkins. Slo-mo them if your remote has the capacity. The way Harper does it, the bat can only lag behind through the zone if he is to make contact on a ball on the outer half at all, which is why he has so very little power to the opposite field. My bet is that we are not done seeing him hit .240-.250 or so, and that anyone who will pay him nine figures with free agency will inevitably regret it.

Just sayin,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 09-10-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:59 AM
Peter Spaeth

Larry I could be wrong, but it had been my impression that during his great season a couple of years back, Harper had improved his swing mechanics and was staying back on the ball. Incidentally the swing you describe was so evident at the HR Derby -- great results of course when your Dad is serving up pitches with no movement in your wheelhouse, just a bit different when facing the real thing.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-11-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:21 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I already view modern pitchers' cards as bad investment ideas, so, technically...at least in my opinion, they all have already tanked.

I am growing vey weary of Harper's 4-strikeout games.

Though I'm not giving up yet, I have more Harper cards than anyone except Trout...so I'm concerned.

I also jumped on the Kris Bryant wagon - more concern.

Fun Fact: of all qualifying (per ESPN) outfielders, only one doesn't have a single assist this season...can you guess who...right...Bryce Harper.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 09-12-2018 at 04:21 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:38 AM
Peter Spaeth

Jose Ramirez has completely tanked the last month. Machado isn't exactly lighting it up in LA. Is anyone other than Mookie and J.D. really having a great year?

Old 09-12-2018, 04:51 PM

Defense aside, I don't think Miguel Andujar should be ignored. 20 homers, nearly 80 rbis, and 40 doubles while hitting just under 300 as a rookie.

I also think Alex Bregman is a player who has flown way under the radar despite having a huge season for Houston.

Last edited by packs; 09-12-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

Fangraphs has Bregman 4th in hitters behind Betts, Trout and Ramirez.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:29 AM
Johnny MaZilli

The only Modern Guy I'd hold would be Trout. The rest is all about early on hype pump and dump.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:29 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
The only Modern Guy I'd hold would be Trout. The rest is all about early on hype pump and dump.
+1

anyone wants some Cory Seager cards?

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-13-2018, 07:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
+1

anyone wants some Cory Seager cards?
I'll trade you Carlos Correa.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:26 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Defense aside, I don't think Miguel Andujar should be ignored. 20 homers, nearly 80 rbis, and 40 doubles while hitting just under 300 as a rookie.

I also think Alex Bregman is a player who has flown way under the radar despite having a huge season for Houston.
Just love Bregman--average size guy who hits like a right-handed Mel Ott in his prime, but with more doubles. Plus this guy is driven to be the very best. If he stays healty, he's definitely one to watch!

May good luck also enhance your collecting,

Larry