NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-23-2016, 08:51 AM

Default Air-tight containers

Does anyone have experience using an air-tight container to store their cards? The house I'm currently renting does not have any means of climate control during the summer months, and I'm trying to figure out a way to protect my cards without keeping them locked up in a bank.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:29 AM
Steve

Unless you're living in the fetid swampland of the deep south and prefer to keep the cards out for display, it's hard to imagine they would be harmed under normal storage conditions. I have kept all of mine in ordinary polyester sleeves and in cardboard storage boxes for over thirty years, with no detectable signs of environmental damage. Those cheapo plastic storage containers with tight lids that are sold in discount stores hold about a dozen standard count card boxes and are probably about as close to a hermetic seal as you could hope to find. Hope this helps.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:53 PM
Per.ry Sc-hultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
Unless you're living in the fetid swampland of the deep south and prefer to keep the cards out for display, it's hard to imagine they would be harmed under normal storage conditions. I have kept all of mine in ordinary polyester sleeves and in cardboard storage boxes for over thirty years, with no detectable signs of environmental damage. Those cheapo plastic storage containers with tight lids that are sold in discount stores hold about a dozen standard count card boxes and are probably about as close to a hermetic seal as you could hope to find. Hope this helps.
The Cards in boxes though?
If the box isn't full and they lean and slide..or if you put them sideways in a box as opposed to stacked on top of each other like a deck of cards...don't they tend to start curving?
Old 05-23-2016, 03:26 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Put them in a sleeve, then a hard top loader, then in a cardboard box, and they'll be fine. Trust me, that's all you need to do.

Last edited by TheNightmanCometh; 05-23-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:52 PM
Per.ry Sc-hultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightmanCometh View Post
Put them in a sleeve, then a hard top loader, then in a cardboard box, and they'll be fine. Trust me, that's all you need to do.
Not if you gave thousands of cards though lol
Old 05-23-2016, 04:31 PM

Default Storage

For those that want a little more protection - for $10-20 you can find refurbished ammo boxes at Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, or Harry's Army Surplus, etc. The 7.62 boxes have a rubber seal at the top, providing limited heat resistance in the event of fire/flood as well as some moisture/water protection. You can replace the rubber gaskets at the top if needed.

In addition, they fit side-to-side, a PSA graded case exactly so they don't wiggle and come with a convenient storage handle.

Z
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ammo.JPG (22.3 KB, 127 views)
Old 05-23-2016, 05:55 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollieFingers View Post
Not if you gave thousands of cards though lol
I couldn't imagine a scenario where someone would have thousands of unprotected cards that should be protected and never took the time to protect them as they were collected.

Unless you buy a giant lot from someone who knew nothing about cards.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
That's how I currently have them stored, my only concern is temperature and humidity
Old 05-23-2016, 08:19 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luma39 View Post
That's how I currently have them stored, my only concern is temperature and humidity
As long as you're not storing them in a sauna you should be fine.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:40 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Volod, I'm guessing those sleeves are polyurethane, not polyester
Old 05-24-2016, 05:06 AM
Bill Gregory

Hi luma39. As you can see from my profile, I live in Texas, just outside of Dallas, to be specific. And let me tell you, it gets really humid here late in the spring/early in the summer. I have a safe deposit box for my most valuable cards, and while it is climate controlled, I keep a silica gel desiccant in the box with the cards, just as a backup. I've linked the one I use. They're easy to use. When the color changes, indicating it's absorbed the maximum moisture, throw it in the over for an hour, and it's good to go. There are other varieties that you just plug in; same general concept.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:32 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
I couldn't imagine a scenario where someone would have thousands of unprotected cards that should be protected and never took the time to protect them as they were collected.

Unless you buy a giant lot from someone who knew nothing about cards.
How about someone on a budget that bought large lots, sorted them into his sets then moved the extras along to hopefully pay for the next big boxful?

That's basically what my collection is.

When I started there weren't many supplies, so from 74- 77 I had maybe 8 pages in a binder where I kept the "best" cards.
After that I lived near a card store and balanced buying sheets with buying cards. Should have bought more cards
But aside from a project to have a binder for each set with space open for cards I didn't have, again not everything made it into pages.

The rest went into boxes, sometimes boxes made for cards, sometimes not. Some went into a big file cabinet that had shallow drawers for some sort of filing system that used cards, maybe 3x5s? Still have it, and it's really well made but not convenient as any cards have to go in sideways.

So now what I use are the shoebox boxes. The older cards that aren't really nice go in with no sleeves, nice ones get sleeves, really nice ones get sleeves and toploaders. (Except for that one 59 Topps with tape residue that's still really sticky, that one got a sleeve despite being a total mess. ) All the prewar stuff is in holders.

Most haven't curled at all. And the slumping/sliding of the stacks is solved with some balled up newspaper to fill the extra space. I'm gradually sleeving some of the 60's and 70's stuff, haven't really started on the 80's or 90's. New stuff gets sleeved if it's prone to problems - like the Gypsy queen framed cards- or is a special card - autograph insert, lower serial numbered minis etc.

Steve B
Old 05-24-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Hi luma39. As you can see from my profile, I live in Texas, just outside of Dallas, to be specific. And let me tell you, it gets really humid here late in the spring/early in the summer. I have a safe deposit box for my most valuable cards, and while it is climate controlled, I keep a silica gel desiccant in the box with the cards, just as a backup. I've linked the one I use. They're easy to use. When the color changes, indicating it's absorbed the maximum moisture, throw it in the over for an hour, and it's good to go. There are other varieties that you just plug in; same general concept.

Sounds good, I'll have to pick some up, thanks Bill.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:27 PM
Steve

Default My age is showing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBesse27 View Post
Volod, I'm guessing those sleeves are polyurethane, not polyester
Most of my sets were put together in the '80's, when storage materials were still relatively cheap, so at that time, polyester (mylar) sleeves could be had by the K for about six bucks or so. I don't know if they are even still available these days - but polypropylene, which is what I believe you mean, is almost as clear, though not as archivally approved.

Last edited by Volod; 05-25-2016 at 04:29 PM.