NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

View Poll Results: Which card do you prefer, given the flaws, but NQs
PSA 4, that is centered, with bold colors, and a spider wrinkle that requires a tilt in light to see 62 73.81%
PSA 6, with decent centering, but washed out colors and/or out-of-focus registration 3 3.57%
PSA 7, with significant off-centering (but no qualifier) 19 22.62%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2016, 11:50 AM
Mike

Default Do creases still bother collectors as much

Saw Leon's beautiful '52 Mantle, perfectly centered, but with a crease. Graded 2.5, but huge eye-appeal.

We've seen the mindset shift towards centering being more important. When will creases become "less important?"

Creases have historically been the kiss of death. O/C PSA 4 cards with rounded corners abound on eBay, with exhortations of "no creases!"

Spider wrinkles can knock a PSA 8 to a 5 or even 4. I'd rather have a centered PSA 4 with sharp corners and 1 spider wrinkle than an O/C PSA 7, especially when the 7 will cost more than twice as much.

Will minor creases - especially wrinkles - cease being such a negative? Or will they continue to be considered so much worse than worn corners, chipped edges, and even off-centering?
Old 05-20-2016, 11:55 AM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

I rather have a card with no creases and or wrinkles.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:12 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

With the way prices are going I think a small wrinkle/crease (as long as it still has eye-appeal) will become more accepted. Personally I am ok with a small crease or spidering if the card still has good eye-appeal. My Aaron rookie as an example. The tiny crease on the left side almost half-way down is hardly noticed and some denting on the bottom corners does not take away from the eye-appeal to me. I'm sure those flaws might really bother some collectors but with the way HOF rookie cards are exploding in price I think collectors will be willing to live with the imperfections of a crease.

Last edited by jb67; 05-20-2016 at 12:19 PM. Reason: add pict.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:33 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpete View Post
I rather have a card with no creases and or wrinkles.
+1 , no creases please
Old 05-20-2016, 12:42 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

depends on the card, but I'd rather have a light crease/wrinkle than something pristine that is completely oc.

now some deep wrinkle that has turned white and goes thru the players face might be a different scenario.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:16 PM
Ryan Waggoner

As a little fun side project I'm collecting '51 Bowmans of Braves players. I actually think light creases on the cards add character. I don't feel the same about Topps cards, though.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:21 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

No creases. I don't care much about centering.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I am ok with creases (on some cards that are relatively expensive) but not in the facial area. However, centering is what I care about most. It doesn't have to be a 4, it could be a 2. This one might skew some vcp...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bowman1951mantlereduced25.jpg (77.5 KB, 313 views)

Last edited by Leon; 05-20-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:27 PM
Larry

Depends on how rare and desirable the card is. If its a 1907 Wolverine News Cobb rookie, with a total of 11 graded by both services last time I checked, or a 1923 Lections Ruth, with perhaps only a dozen or so around at all, I'd much rather have a creased example than no example at all. And neither of those is leaving my collection any time in the foreseeable future. If, on the other hand, the card in question is much more commonly seen, then a creased card doesn't make much sense to purchase. I wouldn't have minded acquiring the E107 Wagner in the last REA auction, for example. Even with creases, paper loss on the front, a pinhole, and other indicia of wear, it brought about $57,000.00, if memory serves correctly, and was a good purchase IMHO.

Happy collecting,

Larry
Old 05-20-2016, 05:34 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I am ok with creases (on some cards that are relatively expensive) but not in the facial area. However, centering is what I care about most. It doesn't have to be a 4, it could be a 2. This one might skew some vcp...
With the '51 Bowmans I have the creases are in the corners or near the corners. Definitely agree that a big crease that covers the player is a creased card I don't really want.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:18 PM
Curt

You take what you can get on tough issues, but I'd rather not have any creasing or bad centering. I am not a big spender though, so this is rarely an issue. I wait for a better copy if I need to.

I have a 56 T Mantle that has some light creasing but it still looks decent and I didn't want to spend the bigger $$ for a better one.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:21 PM
je.sse @rnot

I picked the centered 4 with the crease but only because I wouldn't even consider the other two. It would have to be a very tough card, something along the lines of Leon's 52 Mantle for me to seek out a card with a crease. A card I could not otherwise own. A Ruth RC, CJ Cobb, Matty, Jackson, etc. I would take a centered card with a spider wrinkle all day in those cases. If I can afford to wait for a better example with other cards I will.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:17 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

This discussion has mainly been about graded cards, and I own my share of high end SGC cards, but creases are an absolute deal breaker for me. In my youth my prized card was a 65 Namath RC. It was perfectly centered and corners were sharp...but it was creased right through the middle. I was the local hero for owning it (pre-internet most only saw cards like that in a book or a becket) and as much as I LOVED the card, I hated it too.

Being a set builder, I will never buy a card with any creasing. OC (to a degree) is OK...corners can be a little fuzzy...but zero creasing. My set standards are 4 to 7's ideally and I am sure I have a few that could grade higher. Anything that comes in my initial lots that don't meet my criteria I upgrade after the set is done (or during as I keep a list).

So for me, creasing is completely out. I respect the high grade collectors here that covet centering, and I am sure if most of you guys were looking through my binders you would often cringe...haha..but you won't find creases. There are the obvious exceptions...I wouldn't turn down ANY shape 52 Mantle, but even my 55 Clemente is crease free (SGC 4, PSA would give it a OC).

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 05-23-2016, 03:22 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Personally, I'd choose a nice, sharp cornered, clean image card that's OC over a perfectly centered one with a crease. I also remember creases as the "kiss of death" when collecting as a kid, and know all my friends who collected back then felt similar.

I think that it was very different then though, when we actually handled ALL our cards raw. You could see the creases more easily and often feel them, as well as feel how different dinged corners felt than razor sharp. Now most available/for sale high value cards are graded, and I think the premium on flaws that stood out more on a raw card (creases, fuzzy corners or edges, indentations, etc) are less noticeable to collectors who may never even touch the card (I own many I'll likely never touch).

Though it seems centering has probably always been appreciated, I think it's premium is in part driven recently by the fact these cards will forever be framed in a TPG holder. I think this draws more attention to the card's framing, and the fact the card will never be handled, minimizes the negative impact of crease/wrinkles, etc.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:38 AM
Bob F.

No creases for me please. I've also sold off nicely centered out of focus PSA 9's and kept a slightly off-center PSA 8 (1967 Topps #1 for instance)--out of focus is worse than a crease, although both are deal breakers.

I don't mind a non-Q centering issue--they came out of packs that way, so that's good enough for me. I've recently added a MC 1948 Leaf to my collection that is gorgeous except for the MC thingy. I couldn't have sprung for a PSA 8 of the card or even a 7, so a PSA 8MC is the best I can do. I'll find the link to the auction in a second.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:46 AM
Bob F.

Found it:

Old 05-23-2016, 06:00 AM
Mike

Thanks for responses so far. the poll as of now shows:

70% PSA 4, with spider wrinkle
5% PSA 6, off registration
25% PSA 7, off-centered

A good distinction has been made between people considering PSA 4 cards for really high-end and/or scarce cards, where allowances are more likely for creases/wrinkles - "you take what you can get", versus if a card is plentiful and relatively affordable, many collectors would still prefer a card without a crease.

Also, definitely a crease through a face is far worse than a spider wrinkle on a border or away from the portrait area of the card.

Last edited by MCoxon; 05-23-2016 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:11 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb67 View Post
With the way prices are going I think a small wrinkle/crease (as long as it still has eye-appeal) will become more accepted. Personally I am ok with a small crease or spidering if the card still has good eye-appeal. My Aaron rookie as an example. The tiny crease on the left side almost half-way down is hardly noticed and some denting on the bottom corners does not take away from the eye-appeal to me. I'm sure those flaws might really bother some collectors but with the way HOF rookie cards are exploding in price I think collectors will be willing to live with the imperfections of a crease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCoxon View Post
Thanks for responses so far. the poll as of now shows:

70% PSA 4, with spider wrinkle
5% PSA 6, off registration
25% PSA 7, off-centered

A good distinction has been made between people considering PSA 4 cards for really high-end and/or scarce cards, where allowances are more likely for creases/wrinkles - "you take what you can get", versus if a card is plentiful and relatively affordable, many collectors would still prefer a card without a crease.

Also, definitely a crease through a face is far worse than a spider wrinkle on a border or away from the portrait area of the card.
Case in point above.

Who wouldn't accept that card if they were looking unless they had way more money than most of us and could wait for a better copy.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:42 PM
D@le Irv*n

48 bids so far on this OC Mays.

I would assume, if it didn't have the OC qualifier, this would be an 8?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-2...AAAOSw8vZXNefB

Last edited by irv; 05-23-2016 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
48 bids so far on this OC Mays.

I would assume, if it didn't have the OC qualifier, this would be an 8?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-2...AAAOSw8vZXNefB
Strong price sold for $9.2k.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:53 AM
Bill Gregory

I'd prefer my cards not have any creases, of course, but some of the cards I want will be cost prohibitive without some very minor flaws. Such is life. If I'm going to have a crease, I prefer it not rear its ugly head in the picture's focal point. A little, nearly indiscernible crease in the lower left corner of a '54 Topps Hank Aaron is ok with me. That same crease in the middle of Hank's face...that would be a deal killer.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:36 AM
Sam Lemoine

It depends on the crease. About ten years ago I sent in a 1972 Joe Namath In Action that I thought had a legitimate shot at a 9, and an outside shot at a 10. It came back a 5 because of some microcrease only visible under a loupe. To me, that's just too picky. If a crease is so small that I can't see it, but it allows me to buy a card for a whole lot less, I am all over it.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:04 AM

Default No Creases

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBesse27 View Post
No creases. I don't care much about centering.

....for those who don't care too much about centering , there is an entire decade of Topps out there for you....

Old 05-24-2016, 07:36 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post

....for those who don't care too much about centering , there is an entire decade of Topps out there for you....

Yep, I own many 52 Topps cards that are OC.

Premium prices are paid for centered copies, especially in the 311 and up numbers.

Last edited by irv; 04-05-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:11 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Not to beat the dead horse but the best centered cards won/are winning in the poll as well as everyday practices, if what I am seeing in the hobby is legit . (and I think most of it is). I have seen far greater eye appeal issues with roller marks on these '51 Mantle cards. For this to get a 2, to me, is somewhat disingenuous. It is my opinion that PSA wants resubmissions...and they won't get one from me on this one. Or the other one I have coming in. I am not playing the resubmit game (yet) and am hoping cards sell for what they are supposed to based on what most collectors want, eye appeal. I would like to see a better '51 Mantle in a PSA 2 holder....that is a challenge? (shown above too but this is a bit larger to capture all of the flaws) I don't know how anyone in the hobby would say that is a 2 on of a scale of 10 ? Really?

Last edited by Leon; 05-24-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:59 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Wow that's got some eye appeal Leon ! I have no clue how it is a 2 . Great example of what is going on.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:03 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Not to beat the dead horse but the best centered cards won/are winning in the poll as well as everyday practices, if what I am seeing in the hobby is legit . (and I think most of it is). I have seen far greater eye appeal issues with roller marks on these '51 Mantle cards. For this to get a 2, to me, is somewhat disingenuous. It is my opinion that PSA wants resubmissions...and they won't get one from me on this one. Or the other one I have coming in. I am not playing the resubmit game (yet) and am hoping cards sell for what they are supposed to based on what most collectors want, eye appeal. I would like to see a better '51 Mantle in a PSA 2 holder....that is a challenge? (shown above too but this is a bit larger to capture all of the flaws) I don't know how anyone in the hobby would say that is a 2 on of a scale of 10 ? Really?

Leon, I have said it many times on here, through my educating/research, there isn't a lot of consistency when it comes to grading it seems.

I have seen more than a few 4's that look a lot worse than your card, and some are fairly new submissions.

Luckily for you, I would assume you saved hundreds purchasing that 2 compared to a 4 or higher, or did you submit this one and it only came back a 2?
If that is the case, then I don't blame you for not wanting to play the re-submit game.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I bought it raw and that was my very first card ever sending into PSA .

Quote:
Leon, I have said it many times on here, through my educating/research, there isn't a lot of consistency when it comes to grading it seems.

I have seen more than a few 4's that look a lot worse than your card, and some are fairly new submissions.

Luckily for you, I would assume you saved hundreds purchasing that 2 compared to a 4 or higher, or did you submit this one and it only came back a 2?
If that is the case, then I don't blame you for not wanting to play the re-submit game.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:48 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I bought it raw and that was my very first card ever sending into PSA .
Is that a crease running vertical across Mick's back? If not, and with no paper loss that I can see, it's clear to see the grader was having a bad day or forgot his glasses at home.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Is that a crease running vertical across Mick's back? If not, and with no paper loss that I can see, it's clear to see the grader was having a bad day or forgot his glasses at home.
That is a crease but it doesn't go through to the back so it's really more of a wrinkle. And that wrinkle does spider towards the top and break off into another wrinkle which can't be seen from the scan. Neither go through to the back. That is the reason for the 2 but you would think the overall eye appeal should warrant at least a half grade higher, if not a full grade. I am obviously biased .
Old 05-24-2016, 04:33 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

For me the answer to this depends on what era I am collecting. As a postwar collector, I own no cards with creases and do not plan on changing that anytime soon. Lately, I have become interested in T206. If I am going to go very far into that, there will be (and already are) some creasing. As long as the crease doesn't run right through the middle of the card or in the subject's face, I am finding I can live with it. For cards produced 1909-1911, some creasing doesn't bother me.

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 05-24-2016 at 04:34 PM.