NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-20-2016, 06:15 PM

Default Something I hate about ballcard collecting

So this past Monday I was bidding on a '52 Ramazotti gray back. The PSA card wasn't labeled as a grayback but it was obvious it was one. A PSA 5 broke 1K, and so I bid accordingly, putting in a final bid of $1500. I got outbid and it sold for $1600. Fair enough.

FOUR days later, the card turns up on ebay again, being sold by the new owner for $5500! It's barely been out of the mailer, and he/she is flipping it for an absurd markup.

I don't begrudge someone making a profit from baseball cards. It's one reason this hobby is so fun, to speculate and buy wisely and hope the value goes up. But to take a card you've owned less than a week and to just try and flip it for a 300% markup? I hate sellers like this. There is no love of the card, no appreciation. Just a desire for profit. And meanwhile, I or someone else who would've treasured this card and savored having it as part of the set, is deprived of the chance thanks to one persons avarice.

I hope whoever is selling that card is reading this. If so, shame on you.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:15 PM
Curt

You never know how any single item will sell on a given day. It requires that "perfect storm" or the right bidders and the right time to maximize the return. To think no bidders were willing to go past $1600 on one day and a week later, someone will go $5500…not likely, but it could happen.

It will probably sit unsold for a while and either disappear eventually or slowly drop in price.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:29 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Not having gray back in the title hurt the price no doubt. With a PSA 5 selling last week for 2500, he is probably dreaming at 5500, but still could make a good profit if he knows the right buyer(s).

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-20-2016, 10:08 PM
Per.ry Sc-hultz

ballcard? thats a new one for me
Old 05-21-2016, 06:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianruns10 View Post
So this past Monday I was bidding on a '52 Ramazotti gray back. The PSA card wasn't labeled as a grayback but it was obvious it was one. A PSA 5 broke 1K, and so I bid accordingly, putting in a final bid of $1500. I got outbid and it sold for $1600. Fair enough.

FOUR days later, the card turns up on ebay again, being sold by the new owner for $5500! It's barely been out of the mailer, and he/she is flipping it for an absurd markup.

I don't begrudge someone making a profit from baseball cards. It's one reason this hobby is so fun, to speculate and buy wisely and hope the value goes up. But to take a card you've owned less than a week and to just try and flip it for a 300% markup? I hate sellers like this. There is no love of the card, no appreciation. Just a desire for profit. And meanwhile, I or someone else who would've treasured this card and savored having it as part of the set, is deprived of the chance thanks to one persons avarice.

I hope whoever is selling that card is reading this. If so, shame on you.
It is only a part of the hobby. I don't begrudge anyone from asking what they want to for something they own. The exponential profit quick-flip has happened to all of us when we wanted something we didn't get. That is why when I really want something I sometimes bid way too much instead of thinking about what it will take to win it. I go a few times that. it almost always works until the time you need to sell it.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:35 AM
Glyn Parson

Default I have done similar things

Do not tell me i do not love baseball cards. You do not know how others feel about things. Why do you get to decide what is appropriate. Maybe you should have bid higher for the card instead of losing out on it then coming hear and complaining. You had more info than the flip gave you so you had the opportunity to go strong. So tired of people whining and complaining about people making money. People have been making nice livings selling cards for decades now. Because you may choose to not go after much profit does not mean others shouldn't. Heck i have made that much in the past by buying a card and selling it as i was walking back to my table. What a person pays for an incorrectly labeled and/or priced item is irrelevant in my honest opinion. For the record i did not buy the gray back nor did i see it but i would have no problem paying 1600 for something and marking it 5500 just days later. A seller is not required to sell something cheaper because he got a good deal on it. I think you thinking you were entitled to the card for less than retail, because you would "cherish it" is far more annoying then someone trying to make a big score.

Last edited by glynparson; 05-22-2016 at 03:42 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:47 AM
Ne@l K

Part of the fun of the hobby is reading posts like this one ....

I agree with Glynn, btw. All of it.

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 05-22-2016, 11:56 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Gynn, Neal:

Ditto. The flip is sometimes the most rewarding part of the game. I love picking a card from a commons pile or junk box or eBay sale knowing it has a value far in excess of what I paid for it. If I know what it is I have to assume someone else does too and if I miss it because I underbid, that's my problem. It isn't like the seller cancelled the sale because he wanted more money.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-22-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:16 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

It isn't like the seller cancelled the sale because he wanted more money"

Or a 'pricing error'!

If it wasn't for the flips and trades in the hobby, I wouldn't have 50% of the cards I have today.

Old 05-22-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
Do not tell me i do not love baseball cards. You do not know how others feel about things. Why do you get to decide what is appropriate. Maybe you should have bid higher for the card instead of losing out on it then coming hear and complaining. You had more info than the flip gave you so you had the opportunity to go strong. So tired of people whining and complaining about people making money. People have been making nice livings selling cards for decades now. Because you may choose to not go after much profit does not mean others shouldn't. Heck i have made that much in the past by buying a card and selling it as i was walking back to my table. What a person pays for an incorrectly labeled and/or priced item is irrelevant in my honest opinion. For the record i did not buy the gray back nor did i see it but i would have no problem paying 1600 for something and marking it 5500 just days later. A seller is not required to sell something cheaper because he got a good deal on it. I think you thinking you were entitled to the card for less than retail, because you would "cherish it" is far more annoying then someone trying to make a big score.
I agree, in general, with your comments. But please don't confuse "market price" with "asking price". The former is $1600, the latter is currently $5500. As you know there are several examples of gray backs currently on EBay with high asking prices--the market price is yet to be determined.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:47 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by flkersn View Post
I agree, in general, with your comments. But please don't confuse "market price" with "asking price". The former is $1600, the latter is currently $5500. As you know there are several examples of gray backs currently on EBay with high asking prices--the market price is yet to be determined.
also whoever buys the card loves the hobby most likely...
Old 05-22-2016, 02:50 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
also whoever buys the card loves the hobby most likely...
Who cares?
Old 05-22-2016, 04:27 PM
Dave Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBesse27 View Post
Who cares?
Exactly. Collecting cards and buying/selling cards don't have to intersect.

"Collectors were supposedly enjoying the pure hobby of baseball card collecting, but they were also concerned with the monetary value of their collections." House of Cards by John Bloom, 1997.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:17 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderTheBetter View Post
Exactly. Collecting cards and buying/selling cards don't have to intersect.
i agree....just saying that to people who may be upset about the flip can take solace that the new buyer is good for the hobby

if everyone is just into flipping..it actually could be a problem ie. See real esate market in 2008ish
Old 05-22-2016, 07:35 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
i agree....just saying that to people who may be upset about the flip can take solace that the new buyer is good for the hobby

if everyone is just into flipping..it actually could be a problem ie. See real esate market in 2008ish

You are not saying that when your neighbor is telling you how easy it is to flip (houses) you should be nervous?

Old 05-22-2016, 09:10 PM
Per.ry Sc-hultz

It's ok to make as much as you want.

But if they are willing to go that extreme, they probably can't be trusted on smaller transactions or trading or what ever?

Last edited by RollieFingers; 05-22-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:27 AM
Dave Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollieFingers View Post
It's ok to make as much as you want.
Of course it is. I'll go so far as to say that this is the major thing that that keeps the hobby healthy. It's certainly not younger collectors. Without the influx of new investors and buyers/sellers since the Internet, this hobby would probably be in recession mode like antiquarian books, stamps and coins.

How many of us would ignore the opportunity to flip a $1600 card for $3000? Certainly not me. I wouldn't have most of my current collection without flipping.

"Collectors were supposedly enjoying the pure hobby of baseball card collecting, but they were also concerned with the monetary value of their collections." House of Cards by John Bloom, 1997.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:01 AM
Zach T

There is no such thing as a "true collector" and if you think you are one of those special little snowflakes then find something else to be self-righteous about.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:51 PM
Dave Becker

There certainly are "true collectors". They are either so wealthy that money is no object, or they're under the age of 15.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:58 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Gynn, Neal:

Ditto. The flip is sometimes the most rewarding part of the game. I love picking a card from a commons pile or junk box or eBay sale knowing it has a value far in excess of what I paid for it. If I know what it is I have to assume someone else does too and if I miss it because I underbid, that's my problem. It isn't like the seller cancelled the sale because he wanted more money.
Picked up this little lot for $20 from a local card shop.

He deals strictly in hockey cards but took these in on trade so I didn't feel the least bit guilty purchasing them from him. He started at $40 and we ended up at $20.

Not that I'd make out large on the lot or remotely close to it but I know I got them pretty cheap when comparing them to market value.

Last edited by irv; 04-05-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:24 PM
Ryan Waggoner

This doesn't really apply here as my story is about a modern card. A few years ago I was able to snag a 2013 Topps Heritage gold card, 1 of 5, of Felix Hernandez for less than $100. At the time, gold cards of top shelf players were selling around $300. I tried selling it for around that price and it sat for months and months; eventually I sold it to a nice lady, on eBay, for a little more than I paid for it. Found out today that she sent it to PSA, got it graded, came back as a GM 10, and she sold it for $250. I stumbled upon it looking for another card, but I sent her a message congratulating her on the flip.

Of course I proceeded to kick myself for the next 10 minutes for not sending it to PSA myself. So dumb!!!

Last edited by TheNightmanCometh; 05-23-2016 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:37 PM
Al Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachtruitt View Post
There is no such thing as a "true collector" and if you think you are one of those special little snowflakes then find something else to be self-righteous about.
This must be very profound.... in some way or another
Old 05-23-2016, 04:10 PM
Jeff D

Default Flip

I experienced the frustration of losing out on a much wanted pair of Topps Heritage Venezuelan Trout's. I rode the bull of anger for a full 8 seconds before focusing my attention and cash elsewhere.

These cards are amazing...best to the buyer/seller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (59.6 KB, 121 views)
Old 05-23-2016, 04:23 PM
Zach T

I wasn't trying to be profound, I just think there are many ways to be involved in the hobby and no one is a better "collector" than anyone else. I don't think it's something that should be qualified with labels, that's all.

Everyone has their own reasons for being in the hobby and, at the end of the day, no one is keeping score.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:41 PM
Steven Finley

I sold this card to this same seller last calendar year for $75. Do I win?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-PLAYOFF...AAAOSwB4NWu6Rg
Old 05-23-2016, 06:25 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
I sold this card to this same seller last calendar year for $75. Do I win?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-PLAYOFF...AAAOSwB4NWu6Rg
Will it sell for near what he is asking or is he on something?
Old 05-23-2016, 06:49 PM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Will it sell for near what he is asking or is he on something?
I would say "a snowball's chance in hell" but idiots are rampant these days. Realistically, it is a $75-$100 auto.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:54 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
I would say "a snowball's chance in hell" but idiots are rampant these days. Realistically, it is a $75-$100 auto.
Kind of what I was thinking, but wasn't sure?
Old 05-24-2016, 10:09 PM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Kind of what I was thinking, but wasn't sure?
The best advice is clear BIN's off your searches. They are a waste of time. 99% of them are trollers looking for brainless buyers with a lot of money (or registry builders waiting to be taken to the cleaners). Keeps your sanity and stick with .99 auctions where you will be shilled to death.

There's a '71 PSA 9 Ryan for sale at $2k more than it sold for 5 weeks ago. Trolling is not illegal; been happening since the stone age.

Do not under estimate that we've been in a bull market for 7+ years. When the downturn comes, these trollers, shillers and bidiots will be drowning in their greed.

Last edited by Beastmode; 05-24-2016 at 10:10 PM.