NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 02-06-2016, 05:41 PM
pariah1107

Default ESPN Ranks the Super Bowls 1-49

Rankings. They are so subjective. Never really agreed with those greatest guitarists of all-time lists either (BTW his name rhymes with Shimi Fendrix).

Here is ESPN's ranking of the Best to Worst Super Bowls. Super Bowl 3 at number 7? I think they fail to see the relevance of that game in particular. And 4 of the first 8 Super Bowls ranked 40th to 49th? Obviously some historical bias. But before Super Bowl Sunday a little debate would not hurt.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/stor...49-super-bowls

Last edited by pariah1107; 02-06-2016 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:42 AM
€d M!££w00D

Default ESPN Ranks the Super Bowls 1-49

I honestly think they did a pretty good job. Many of the early Super Bowls were one-sided with very little suspense. With the exception of the two Steelers/Cowboys Super Bowls in the '70's, the Super Bowl didn't produce many great games until the late '80's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed

Last edited by Vintagevault13; 02-07-2016 at 07:42 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:00 PM
Mike Dugan

The only thing ESPN cares about is NOW! They have no sense of history, each week on Sportscenter you will hear mention of "This is probably the best play of all-time" or "He is the greatest player of all-time."

My personal pet peeve related to pro football is when the Super Bowl rolls around and they start saying the Steelers have won the most championships followed by the Cowboys and the 49ers. I realize these people are not that old but the Packers and the Bears have more titles than anyone else and yes football was played before the 1966 season.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:58 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
The only thing ESPN cares about is NOW! They have no sense of history, each week on Sportscenter you will hear mention of "This is probably the best play of all-time" or "He is the greatest player of all-time."

My personal pet peeve related to pro football is when the Super Bowl rolls around and they start saying the Steelers have won the most championships followed by the Cowboys and the 49ers. I realize these people are not that old but the Packers and the Bears have more titles than anyone else and yes football was played before the 1966 season.
I hear you Mike. Part of the problem is that the NFL itself doesn't embrace its history before the 1958 Colts / Giants NFL Championship. If the NFL doesn't do it, I don't know why the networks would either.

2020 will be the NFL's 100th anniversary. I'm curious to see how much of their history they will emphasize for that. I fully expect the 100th anniversary team to be filled with "newbies" too.

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 02-08-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:36 AM
Mike Dugan

I agree, the league spends every possible opportunity marketing its' current "self."

George Will's Sunday column was pretty hard hitting and I am sad to say that I was unaware of Kenny Stabler's struggles until his daughter released her statement.

Sad to hear that the man behind the great NFL Films' music Sam Spence passed away Saturday. I feel that his work was a big part of NFL Films' success. Of course the league never really seemed to appreciate NFL Films until they tried to take it over completely.

I have been catching pieces from all over the country the past few years on the current crop of college athletic directors and the empire building that is going on these days that seems to leave many of their past heroes behind. Unless they have become very successful and contribute heavily to the program they are being ignored. That is really sad, they gave all they had for their schools while this new breed of AD is just looking for dollars.

I had a friend nudge me at a game last year as he pointed out the flock of assistant/associate ADs working a room with cell phones in hand matching up photos and bios (probably bank accounts too) of people in the room before they went over to shake hands and back slap.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:53 PM
Carl Lamendola

The Buffalo/Giants one still stings!!

Old 02-11-2016, 05:52 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamendo View Post
The Buffalo/Giants one still stings!!

I bet it does, Carl. Did you watch the "Four Falls of Buffalo" 30 for 30? Very well done but sad for those of us pulling for them.

jeff
Old 02-13-2016, 08:16 AM
Carl Lamendola

I heard it was really good but haven't seen it yet.