NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-12-2018, 02:00 PM
Mr. Zipper Mr. Zipper is offline
Steve Zarelli
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Why don't you let 70 years pass? We're comparing a guy who died in 1948 to guys who died in the 90s. Obviously there is going to be better condition material because less time has passed. If Ruth's autograph wasn't a collectible, why did he sign so many? His autograph is not valuable because it's scarce. It's valuable because of his following, fame, and legend. That's criteria that Mantle and DiMaggio meet as well.
In 70 years, these will still be a zillion signed Mantle, Dimaggio and Williams items in near mint condition.

Are you really making the argument that someday a signed Mickey Mantle or Ted Williams baseball will sell for $50,000+ like a minty single signed Ruth ball would today? (Adjusted for inflation, it would be a lot more than $50,000.)

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-12-2018, 02:15 PM
csotus csotus is offline
Chris
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Indiana
Posts: 55
Default

In my opinion this correlates with my other hobby of coin collecting. The younger generation appear to have no interest in collecting coins and those that do have a small interest find real quick that the fakes from China really dilute and negatively effect the market. The fakes are so good that at one time or another expect to get burned.

With autographs, the same concept applies. I agree with the poster who mentioned non-HOF players. I think 20 years from now the only names that will be valuable are the instant name recognition. I personally dont see Mantle, etc getting to Babe's value level. I think both will increase, but Babe is the Babe, simple as that.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-12-2018, 02:19 PM
packs packs is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
In 70 years, these will still be a zillion signed Mantle, Dimaggio and Williams items in near mint condition.

Are you really making the argument that someday a signed Mickey Mantle or Ted Williams baseball will sell for $50,000+ like a minty single signed Ruth ball would today? (Adjusted for inflation, it would be a lot more than $50,000.)


I am making the argument that scarcity isn't what makes Ruth's autograph valuable. You're the one who said that because there are a lot of Mantle and DiMaggio's out there they won't ever be as valuable. My point is there are just as many Ruth's as there are anyone's autograph. A ball that's snow white today is not guaranteed to be snow white in 70 years either. I have many balls from the 90s that have already turned brown and you're assuming a lot when you say they'll all survive.

While I don't think anyone will match Ruth's value, I think Mantle and DiMaggio will certainly increase because they have similar things working for them: career Yankees, the biggest sports personalities of their day, and a similar folk hero legacy.

Last edited by packs; 03-12-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-12-2018, 03:18 PM
David Atkatz's Avatar
David Atkatz David Atkatz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,753
Default

Mantle and DiMaggio values will never reach Ruth levels. Never.

Ruth transcends sports. Mantle and DiMaggio do not.

Every single post-playing-days Mantle and DiMaggio ball is in a ball cube, and has been virtually from the moment it was signed. They are pristine, and will remain so.
Most Ruth-signed balls are in lousy condition.

Everyone who wants a high-quality Mantle or DiMaggio has one. Not so for Ruth.

Sorry, packs. Your kids ain't gonna cash in on the modern stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-12-2018, 03:20 PM
packs packs is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,945
Default

I've already cashed in. I paid $50 each for Mantle and DiMaggio in White Plains back in the 90s. I'm sitting on a tidy profit after only a few decades.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-12-2018, 03:32 PM
Baseball Fan Baseball Fan is offline
Scott
member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I am making the argument that scarcity isn't what makes Ruth's autograph valuable. You're the one who said that because there are a lot of Mantle and DiMaggio's out there they won't ever be as valuable. My point is there are just as many Ruth's as there are anyone's autograph. A ball that's snow white today is not guaranteed to be snow white in 70 years either. I have many balls from the 90s that have already turned brown and you're assuming a lot when you say they'll all survive.

While I don't think anyone will match Ruth's value, I think Mantle and DiMaggio will certainly increase because they have similar things working for them: career Yankees, the biggest sports personalities of their day, and a similar folk hero legacy.
Not saying you are right or wrong, but it seems tough to believe that there are just as many Babe autographs out there as Mantle, DiMaggio or anyone else who had a full playing career and also took part in show signings and company signings for years after their careers.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-12-2018, 03:46 PM
packs packs is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,945
Default

Ruth was the most famous man on earth for much of his life and he signed autographs for anyone and everyone who asked him for one. This is pure speculation on my part but I'd guess he signed a million autographs in his life.

Last edited by packs; 03-12-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-12-2018, 03:56 PM
Duluth Eskimo's Avatar
Duluth Eskimo Duluth Eskimo is offline
Ja.son Hugh.es
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,429
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Transcends yes, but we're talking about autographs and collecting. Do you think there is a significant market of collectors who will buy Babe Ruth but have no other focus on sports?
156% absolutely yes and I'm sure every bigger autograph dealer could tell you a story about some financially well off person who was looking for or bought a Babe Ruth signed baseball for himself, but had zero interest in much else.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-12-2018, 04:17 PM
David Atkatz's Avatar
David Atkatz David Atkatz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I've already cashed in. I paid $50 each for Mantle and DiMaggio in White Plains back in the 90s. I'm sitting on a tidy profit after only a few decades.
A tidy profit. But not a Ruthian profit.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-12-2018, 04:47 PM
packs packs is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
A tidy profit. But not a Ruthian profit.
I of course don't think Mantle or DiMaggio will be as expensive as Ruth, but I do think they will continue to climb because they have a lot going for them.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with values loubrown Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 4 07-29-2016 09:19 PM
Guide for Values Jmad Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) 3 03-05-2014 04:53 PM
T213 Values rdixon1208 Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 3 03-25-2012 01:35 PM
W573 Values morgan118 Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 3 04-29-2011 09:37 AM
About to Buy a Lot but don't know anything about baseball values? Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 16 06-11-2008 03:35 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 PM.


ebay GSB