NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-29-2019, 05:59 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default 1909 Edouard Fraisse Bronze of Boxer Willie Lewis: ETA New Bronzes

Picked this up recently.

Measures about 5" x 8" [12.5 cm x 20 cm]. It says "Made In Paris 1909 Fraisse"

Édouard Fraisse is known mainly for his compositions inspired by sport. He was a member of the Société des Artistes Français and the Société Nationale des Beaux-Arts; he also exhibited at the Salon d'Automne. Fraisse studied under Barrias, Coutan, Chalpain and Vernon. He collaborated with Henry Demey on numerous medals and plaquettes that typically depicted figures and especially sports figures in action. They were considered to be some of the best and most prestigious plaque and medal makers in France during the 1920s and 30s. He was made a Chevalier of the Légion d'Honneur in 1929.

I wondered why Willie Lewis. Turns out that he moved to Paris in 1909 and fought there several times over the next few years. In early 1910, Lewis made an unsuccessful bid at the world middleweight title losing to Billy Papke and made two unsuccessful attempts at the world welterweight title, controversially drawing against World welterweight Champion Harry Lewis (no relation) twice in Paris.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-15-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:01 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Fraisse also competed in the Olympics in the art category. Up until 1948 there were art competitions during the Olympics. It including painting, sculpturinging, architecture, literature and music. The winners received medals the same as the athletes. Fraisse competed in sculpturing (correct name) and painting in 1924, 1928 and 1932, but did not medal. Avery Brundage, president of the USOC and IOC, was one of the few people who competed in athletics and the art competitions. Athletics in 1912 and Mixed Literature in 1932 and 1936.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 03-30-2019, 12:02 AM
Dave

Willie Lewis French Mag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WillieLewisLaVieAuGrandAir1.jpg (73.8 KB, 194 views)
Old 03-30-2019, 08:48 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Fraisse also competed in the Olympics in the art category. Up until 1948 there were art competitions during the Olympics. It including painting, sculpturinging, architecture, literature and music. The winners received medals the same as the athletes. Fraisse competed in sculpturing (correct name) and painting in 1924, 1928 and 1932, but did not medal. Avery Brundage, president of the USOC and IOC, was one of the few people who competed in athletics and the art competitions. Athletics in 1912 and Mixed Literature in 1932 and 1936.
And I thought ice skating was an activity and not a sport because of the lack of objective criteria for evaluation...

Or not...
Old 03-30-2019, 09:23 AM
Mikeknapp

Beautiful piece Adam

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 03-30-2019, 11:43 PM

Default congrats

Nice going Adam...good pick up....8" tall is a good size...how'd ya find it...what's on the back...anyway to hang it?

Old 03-31-2019, 01:12 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Carlton, it was in a mixed lot of boxing memorabilia I picked up. It had a wood and silk frame around it but that was so busted up and stained that it was unsalvageable. It was glued to an inset in the frame from the back. I might have it reframed in a shadow-box type arrangement, though I like it as a freestanding piece on the end table.

Or not...
Old 04-01-2019, 08:16 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
And I thought ice skating was an activity and not a sport because of the lack of objective criteria for evaluation...
An old girlfriend was into skating, I told her it couldn't be a sport since it didn't involve hitting things with sticks, kicking things or any sort of vehicle.

We'd broken up by the time the whole Nancy Kerrigan thing happened, but I sent her a message saying I was wrong about skating....
She's gotten over it, but was pretty mad at me for a while.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:25 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Added two more small bronzes to my 'collection' (about the size of Goudeys); also French:

This one is by Rene Baudichon

This one by Andre Mery:

Or not...
Old 09-24-2019, 03:34 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Another one, this one is 100 mm tall and is an amateur boxing award by A. Deudonne, ca. 1945-1950.

Or not...