NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-17-2006, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Default To slab or not to slab?

Posted By: Bob S

Hi Folks.

I've been around the hobby for more years than I'd like to remember, and I remember reading many posts here on VBC and elsewhere regarding this issue.

I just now tried to search for relevant posts, but after trying many word search combos, I couldn't come up with much.

So I'll risk asking the experts once again...simply put, is slabbing a good or bad idea, or does it depend on the particular circumstances?

I've also noticed quite a few posts about "crossing over" from one grader to another. With such a wide range of opinion as to grader consistency, basis of standards, etc, I wonder in what sort of circumstances this "crossing over" makes sense.

I'm sure that this has been kicked around so much, that some members will be irritated that someone brought it up again.

But if there are some of you patient enough to reiterate your opinions, I'd be very grateful.

Also, as a corrolary question, has your opinion regarding these issues changed over time, as the grading "landscape" has evolved.

Thanks.

Bob S

Old 03-17-2006, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Bob -

You asked one hell of a question. Expect this thread to go on for a long time !!!

Old 03-17-2006, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

because I want the nice holders.

Old 03-17-2006, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

I grade because grading:
(1) enhances value
(2) establishes value (making cards more liquid)
(2) enhances presentation
(3) enables me to keep track of my cards on an internet registry

I use SGC because:
(1) SGC is consistent with pre-war cards
(2) PSA is inconsistent and troublesome
(3) GAI is inconsistent and troublesome
(4) SGC's holders are better than PSA's and GAI's

I crossover GAI and PSA to SGC because:
(1) I like consistency of holders in my collection
(2) I like to use the SGC set registry feature
(3) SGC is superior to PSA and GAI in terms of quality

Old 03-17-2006, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dd

If you want to sell--slab. PSA consistently gets the best prices, followed by SGC and GAI.....do not use any other service for pre-war cards if your goal is to get the best price.

For my personal collection I prefer raw cards. I have cracked many a card out of its tomb.

As a buyer of cards I will buy raw cards but usually only from sellers I have had good experiences. I do strive to buy the card not the holder when I buy graded cards and will pay a higher price for graded cards as an assurance of authenticity.

Old 03-17-2006, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Bob,
In my opinion, slabbing is not a good idea if you're doing it to inform yourself on whether or not the piece(s) is authentic or not. This is a problem in our hobby. Too many collectors are too lazy to take the time to familiarize themselves with vintage material and then they're upset when they realize the grading company has made a mistake.

This is the reason why slabbed cards bring more money which is sad. Nobody really wants to depend on their own knowledge when spending hard-earned money on cards, so they depend on some other guy's knowledge who really doesn't know what he's doing in many cases. It seems silly to me.

If you enjoy the way that your cards look in the slabs and also enjoy the fact that they are better protected, then slabbing is a good idea.

I usually don't post in a grading thread, but everyone needs a yearly rant I guess.

Robert

Old 03-17-2006, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

Couldn't have said it better myself, Rob.

Old 03-17-2006, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Most people slab in order to facilitate internet trading. Because you cannot inspect a card for creases, corner wear, authenticity, etc. on-line, you have to rely on a third-party service to do so for you. You simply cannot do any productive collecting of mid/high-grade (3 or better) pre-war cards on ebay without third party grading. If it looks sharp and the e-seller says it is sharp, but he didn't fork over $5.00 for the slab, then he is hiding something -- something which we would all pick up in person, but cannot see from a scan.

I have found that the anti-grading group are usually populated by those that remember the "good old days" when T206 cards were a quarter (or less) and wish that the prices had not been driven through the roof by speculators. There rationales are based primarily on emotion rather than market value. More power to those who crack their slabs, but to me that is kind of like tipping the tax collector in April.

Old 03-17-2006, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Paul is it?

You're not disagreeing with me, you're providing another couple of reasons of why slabbing is a good idea and I agree with you. It can be hard to detect trimming and creases on ebay with a poor scan. Hopefully the graders are able to do that.

Robert

Old 03-17-2006, 11:43 AM
Administrator

I was disagreeing with your statement that "This is the reason why slabbed cards bring more money which is sad" which followed a paragraph about lazy collectors using slabbing to authenticate an item. That is, I disagree that this is why slabbed cards bring more money. I believe that slabbing and, indeed, vintage card collecting today is heavily driven by the internet. I became a graded card fan as I began to make expensive purchases of T206 cards on ebay. I paid $500 for a Walter Johnson portrait, advertised as "without any creases." Well, guess what -- creases! Fortunately the seller refunded my money. Now, did the seller intentionally hide the crease? Probably not. But I found it pretty quickly, and SGC would have, too. That is why there are often no returns on graded cards -- because you know what you are getting when you familiarize yourself with how a particular grading company grades.

Paul (aka T206Collector)

Old 03-17-2006, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

Slab. I had bought a "beauty" of a 1915 CJ. It was nice in every way. No signs of trimming, creases or altering. SGC rejected it "BLEACHED". If I hadn't had it graded I would have been out a small fortune. Luckily the shady seller took it back (with great reluctance).

Sad thing is, a few others had given this seller positive FB quickly and upon inspection of their purchases, those CJ scans looked similar to mine in quality... I won't leave feedback until the cards are returned from the grader whether they appear authentic or not.

Old 03-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

I like the concept of 3P grading to the extent that it really has made internet collecting much less subjective and risky. As a practical matter, the holders do protect the card, make it easier to play show and tell, etc.

I wish the three companies would standardize holders, but until they do I will heavily favor SGC for reasons of vintage experience, size/solidity of holders, and that the black surround for vintage cards really helps them display. I am even considering adding a kind of whimsical little side collection of predominantly red cards in SGC holders. Don't know what I'd do with them exactly, but if I got enough I bet it could turn into a pretty dramatic display.

The downside of grading is that it removes the card from the owner. I don't think you can truly appreciate why (or even that) E95's and E103's are so condition sensitive if you have never actually had one in your hand.

My goal is to have most of my collection in SGC holders at some point. But I will try to keep at least one sample from each set (probably a lower end card) in raw state as a "touch and feel" example. I really like showing people my cards, and although they think the holders are cool, the ones they spend time on are those they hold raw in hand. And with many of my raw cards lower end, I have no hesitation at all about handing one to someone else - even a kid.

J

Old 03-17-2006, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

I slab for two reasons. One, to protect them. Two, so that I can do presentations to local civic organizations. It makes it easier to transport, and pass them around the room, if I so choose. I do local Rotary clubs, grade schools. I even did one for the local SABR group many years ago. I used to be a SABR member. 99% of all people never get to see an authentic Babe Ruth, or Lou Gehrig cards. They really get a kick out of it. Plus you can slab pins, autographs etc.

If and when I buy a raw card, I do not slab them to see what the "grade" is, I already know what it is when I purchase it. Or at least what it should be. I usually am right on. I have about 20 cards at PSA as we speak. I already know the grades. That isn't the issue.

One more point, We all have been burned by trimmed, or tampered with cards. One would hope that the slabbers would catch these flaws. And they do. Much to my sadness....

At the very least, I can always rip them put of their tombs if need be.

Old 03-17-2006, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

Slabbing protects and presents well.
The actual feel of the cards does matter but their fragility
makes protection the primary factor for me.

best

barry

Old 03-17-2006, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

Paul (t206collector),
I agree 100% on 2 of your 3 parts. I could care less which company graded them, at this time anyways. Although I really like the way T206's look in SGC slabs.
I like knowing my cards are protected, authentic and graded for value.
I'm not too lazy to know if a T206 is real or not. If I see raw in person and feel it authentic and not altered in anyway, I'll buy them and submit them to SGC.
If I buy on line, I like the fact that an expert looked at my card for me and formed the same opinion that I would have.
My opinion, and that's all it is, graded cards are the way to go.

Edited to add...If your going to sell slab, was mentioned in an above post. I got news for all of us. We can't take them with us, so unless you plan on being buried with them, one of our heirs is going to sell them, eventually. Weather its our sons or an heir 100 years from now. SO under those terms, it's not if they are going to sell, its just a matter of when. I have no sons and my daughters could care less about my cards. I won't be cold in the grave before they hit a major auction house.

A scared man can't gamble and a jealous man can't work.

Old 03-18-2006, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206

I have been slabbing my T206's for two reasons...(1)in case I need to sell god forbid (liquidity) and (2) I can share them with my kids without having to worry too much (they are 10, 8 and 3)...neat to see the older kid's reaction when I tell them how old the cards are...

Old 03-18-2006, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dd

I am more comfortable buying a slab if its a card that I can't see in person, feel, or smell. I do not hesitate in spending $$$ on cards I can do my own authenticating and grading, but for many of my purchases that is not practical.

I do not pretend to speak for all collectors and dealers, I just speak for me and my 31 years in the hobby.

Old 03-18-2006, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob S

Hi, Folks

I just want to thank everyone for their well thought out and highly informed opininions on my question(s).

I expected no less from the best group of vintage card collectors on the planet.

If I am accurately summarizing everybody's posts, I would say it depends on each persons' intended subsequent use(s) for their cards that determines their answer to the main question..."to slab or not"... and similarly, personal preference, if one decides to slab, as to whom to get to do the slabbing, depending on their particular reason(s) for them being in the hobby. (Collector, reseller, archivist, exhibitor, etc.)

How's that for a run on sentence?....LOL

Again, thanks, and everybody have a fine weekend.

Bob S