NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-26-2006, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Default New SGC Slab for T3's.

Posted By: FYS

Per SGC:

Coming Soon!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A New SGC Holder!

We are pleased to announce another exciting new product: a brand-new, oversized holder that will enable us to grade and encapsulate many more oversized issues. The new holder was developed specifically to holder the popular T3 Turkey Red Cabinets, as well as items like Perez-Steele Great Moments cards. These beautiful new holders will also feature SGC's custom, black insert, and will accommodate many other oversized issues and cabinet cards.

We expect the new holders to be available before the end of this summer - look for an announcement and pricing soon on SGCcard.com!

Old 04-26-2006, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian H (misunderestimated)

This is very good news.
Hopefully this will not only mean T3s (&T9s) but also thtat they will holder some other "cabinet" size cards.
The flexibility of the SGC holder should make this possible and I would trust them to get the issues right.
As far as I know PSA has pretty much only used its larger holders ($60 to grade!!) for the T3s.
I have a Newsboy Ward (for example) that I would love to have holdered even though its technical grade is probably pretty low.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

very cool.

Old 04-26-2006, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rick

At least GAI came out with pack grading.

Is there anything that SGC will create on its own?

ohh yeah the 100 point scale....yeah

Old 04-26-2006, 10:09 PM
Administrator

You are critical of SGC because they developed a larger slab for t3s but werent the first to do so? Its called meeting customer demand. Boy I hope you arent running any businesses.

As far as creating something "on their own" - I would submit that SGC created a better slab, better grading consistency, and a better company.

Old 04-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Administrator

It doesnt make them a bad company at all...but PSA does take the time to come up with new ideas, develop them and then create a demand.

Old 04-26-2006, 10:32 PM
Administrator

I agree that psa has a decent slab for t3s - far better than the plastic slabs gai was using for oversized items. But I would hardly say they created the damand. The demand has always been there. The were simply the first to market.

Old 04-26-2006, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Being first doesn't neccessarily mean the best. Being first gives you advantage of early market share, but I have no doubt that SGC will once again offer a superior product in both form and function. PSA can come up with all the inovations it wants for the hobby, but that will not convince me to ever use their service.

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home, I would be arrested. So, I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 04-26-2006, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Lee,

PSA innovations take time to create, they take man power, capital etc.

These innovations then enhance they way we collect...good for the hobby.

Anyone involved with the set registry knows how much fun it can add to their collecting.

PSA created the whole concept of the registry, PSA/DNA as well for the autograph community, larger holders and of course took grading as we know it today mainstream.

They also have the AUT designation, the pedigree option and other minor inventions.

When it comes grading, or the look of the holder etc ..those are all personal opinions ...based on your personal experiences.

SGC is a great company ...they just are not great innovators.

I cant think of anything they can call their own idea.

It doesnt make them a bad company ... especially if in yor view they "borrow" these ideas and make them better.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

A great grading company is measured by their ability to authenticate, grade accurately and identify altered cards. Before being an innovator in the industry, I prefer they offer great customer service, a nice looking holder and accuracy on turn around times. SGC more than meets these standards.

Greg

Old 04-26-2006, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Just to let you know Rick you are not an innovator by calling Jay, Lee.

Lee is the bowlingshoeguy

Just because the guys that invents something doesn't mean he is the best at what he is doing.

LEE, not Jay

Old 04-27-2006, 12:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

The foundation of PSA's business is grading cards, and PSA paid Alan Hagar for the rights to use his system of entombing cards with a 1-10 grading scale. In other words, 90+ percent of PSA's business is based on a system borrowed from someone else.

PSA does come up with some new things, but much of there business is based on old ideas. Beleive me, people were authenticating sports autographs before PSA/DNA.

I'm not criticizing PSA. It's just strange for a PSA fan to look down on companies for using others' ideas.

Old 04-27-2006, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

The amount of energy it took PSA to come up with a larger holder to hold T3 cards is about the same amount of energy released by a mouse when it farts.

This is less (not at all) about innovation and more (entirely) about meeting customer demands for a certain sized holder.

Old 04-27-2006, 10:38 AM
Administrator

"At least GAI came out with pack grading.

Is there anything that SGC will create on its own?

ohh yeah the 100 point scale....yeah"

1. Their Guarantee. None better.
2. 1/2 Point Grading. Copied by all and considered by PSA every year.
3. The fundamentals: Consistency and Accuracy.
4. Custom fit inserts for many odd ball size cards.
5. Better holder in general.
6. Better descriptive labeling on the flip.

Old 04-27-2006, 10:41 AM
Administrator

"It doesnt make them a bad company at all...but PSA does take the time to come up with new ideas, develop them and then create a demand."

I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that PSA is a public company getting extreme pressure to increase revenues? How do you increase revenues and profits? Come up with multiple areas of revenue streams and cut back on the fundamentals e.g. quality, consistency and accuracy.

Do you buy tires at Wal-Mart or Belle Tire? Sometimes is a better to be a little more focused than to be spread to thin.

Old 04-27-2006, 10:54 AM
Administrator

"PSA created the whole concept of the registry

SGC is a great company ...they just are not great innovators."

PSA absolutely had a brilliant idea with the registry. Nobody can deny how much of an impact this has had on the hobby. Definately a significant milestone in the history of card collecting.

SGC is a great company. They have a solid product and are staying focused. Companies usually decide if they are innovators or are willing to be second to market. From a simple grading standpoint (1/2 point scale, slab, flip detail, service, consistency, guarantee, accuracy) they are innovators, but from a product breadth standpoint, they have chosen to be followers.

This is not bad, many time, second to market companies fare much better than innovators.

Old 04-27-2006, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Griggs

Glad to hear SGC is doing this. I've made a few requests to PSA about using thier T3 holders for some of my larger cards, but I dont think they have made any serious attempt to come up with the needed inserts. GAI is also currently working on larger rigid slabs.

Old 04-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Administrator

"The amount of energy it took PSA to come up with a larger holder to hold T3 cards is about the same amount of energy released by a mouse when it farts."

LMAO

Old 04-27-2006, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brent Butcher

SGC's new website does allow you to look at every previous submission you've made by just logging in. When you do bring up your submission you can click on the card and it brings up the Pop report all for free! PSA was definitely innovative for charging for things like that.

Old 04-27-2006, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: rick

Revenues are a good thing.

These companies are there to make money after all.

David ...you are right ..but PSA did PAY for his idea, did SGC ever pay him?. They took the time and effort to go around and expand the concept of graded cards when a lot of people were hostile and uncertain of its future.

Like i said before, quality of holder and accuracy of grading are merely an opinion.

Quite frankly i like the utilitarian look of a PSA slab. I like their small size and i personaly dislike green.

PSA tries to expand while SGC simply reacts, i mean ...their niche its in pre war ...by far the most limited amount of possible gradable cards.

Think five years down the road...what cards will SGC grade?

How much more pre war can they be?

PSA will expand by innovating...they will add new things such as profesional photographing of your cards, interactive software for the registry etc ..who knows ..but you can count on them to come up with something new.

Old 04-27-2006, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

Thank You SGC ! ! !

Old 04-27-2006, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Gallo

My God man have you looked at any od sized card in a PSA holder. They look like total crap and the smaller cards slide around like crazy. Some have that vacumed insert type look.

Fact :SGC holder is safer and looks better

There is NO WAY you can tell me a E90-1 or wahtever smaller issue looks good floating around loose in a PSA holder.

I have seen cards in PSA holders that you can tell no one took any care in caseing, corner that could be put down were left alone and more damage is being done to the card while it sits in that holder.

SGC may have the pre war market for now but I can see it expanding over the next few years greatly into the post war and even to the 1970's cards.

Once there is enough SGC product on the market the "general" public will realize they are much more strict and they are truely getting a higher quality card.

There is NO DOUBT in my mind that I have seen more extremely over graded PSA cards then SGC.

PSA makes more mistakes and has poorer quality control.

I don't even want to get into the dealer preferences that PSA gives.

I am sure these are issues that have been talked about, but you can't just bust on a company and not look at the facts at hand.

As far as I am away SGC started the 100 point system and that provides a better product.

Making a product better is also considered inovation BTW.

Can't wait to see what happens in the next 5 years and how many PSA cards are cracked open and put into SGC holders. I know I have done my share.

James Gallo

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 04-27-2006, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: WP

Rick,
Down the road SGC will pick up more of the 50s 60s business. As collectors get more educated they will demand the superior product. PSAs strength is their marketing and the huge amount of collectors who don't care what is in the plastic, they just care what the flip says.

Old 04-27-2006, 07:04 PM
Administrator

You are fogetting the single greatest inovation for slabbing...the custom cut inserts. So you can't claim SGC has not produced any notoeworthy inovations.

PSA should care as much about the cards that you semd them as SGC does.

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home, I would be arrested. So, I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 04-27-2006, 07:06 PM
Administrator

"Like i said before, quality of holder and accuracy of grading are merely an opinion."

Opinions can be subjectively measured. Can we have a poll?

"Quite frankly i like the utilitarian look of a PSA slab."

Do you have your own definition for utilitarian?

"PSA tries to expand while SGC simply reacts, i mean ...their niche its in pre war ...by far the most limited amount of possible gradable cards."

I think it is much more attractive to be considered the leader in Pre-War and try to work up the ladder to newer issues then to be BGS and try to gain trust by working backwards.

"PSA will expand by innovating...they will add new things such as profesional photographing of your cards, interactive software for the registry etc ..who knows ..but you can count on them to come up with something new."

I commend PSA for their broad product line. I do respect many of their ideas and innovations. At the same time, I do not respect them for grading cards.

Old 04-27-2006, 08:26 PM
Administrator

you would almost think that rick works for psa. I do have to give it up to psa for their single greatest innovation - I mean it was pure genius to stick undersized cards in a condom before slabbing them.

Old 04-27-2006, 09:32 PM
Administrator

SGC has a niche in pre war ...but hardly the leader.

PSA still commands most of the action in t-206 , craker jacks and the goudey series.

I dont work for PSA, my CU name is calleocho. I hardly ever sell cards ...so i have no hidden motives.

I am often critical of PSA in many areas. But when it comes to creating new ideas and expanding the hobby PSA is by far a better company.

SGC is able to survive simply because of PSA's faults...

Old 04-27-2006, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Crisafulli

I'm sorry Rick, but you're wrong.

PSA, in my opinion, is an excellent company. I don't share the opinion of many here, that PSA is incompetent. I still submit many cards to PSA, and many of the sets I collect are in their holders.

However, SGC has its own customer base, and its own fresh approach and ideas. They've built a loyal following based on their skill, knowledge, and customer care. This following was built not out of a rejection of the faults of PSA, but because SGC is an excellent company in its own right. They have been a strong player in the hobby for close to ten years, their volumes and presence in the market continue to increase, and it is NOT at PSA's expense, but as a result of carving new niches in the market. Go back two years and read message board comments about what SGC's perceived faults were at the time, and you'll see that they've made great strides toward correcting each and every one of them. This is a strong, strong company - and all you need to look at to find proof is the enormous amount of cards that have been in their holders at the recent major auctions, and how high the prices realized have been.

You can make the case that you've been making - that SGC is not innovative - and yet their customers can point to a myriad of improvements that they've made to the grading industry in general. The company stands on its own, just as PSA does.

This hobby is plenty big enough for two thriving grading companies to exist for a long, long time.

-Al

PS - In the interest of full disclosure: my company does some work for SGC. However I post here as a collector of raw, PSA, and SGC cards, with no ill will or agendas against any of those three methods of collecting.

Old 04-27-2006, 10:15 PM
Administrator

AL,

You make a good point...SGC does deserve a lot of credit especially in the area of being more dedicated to costumer satisfaction. There is a lot to be said about that especially in a service industry.

Im not fanatical about PSA ..I own SGC graded cards and i am happy to leave in their holders.

My comments were not a knock on their grading at all, but on their lack of innovation.

Old 04-27-2006, 11:02 PM
Administrator

Another inovation, with the addition of "The Way I Collect" catagory for the set registry. They were able to realize that not everyone collects sets.

Jay

Old 04-28-2006, 12:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous