NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-14-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup6913 View Post
Isn't there a Cycle backed Wilhelm missing the "R" or was that the corrected one?
The Wilhelm "suffered" is available with a Cycle and Hassan back.

The Wilhelm "suffe ed" is available with a Piedmont back.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoriano View Post
The Wilhelm "suffered" is available with a Cycle and Hassan back.
I've never seen a Cycle Wilhelm and SGC only has a record of 1 before they started keeping track of the "suffered" variation, but if what you say is correct, that makes for an interesting situation - the Matty variation would seem to indicate the Cycle's were printed before the other runs, hence it has the error which was later corrected. If the Cycle Wilhelm is the "suffered" variation, then that would lean towards the Cycles being a later run, after the Piedmonts...

Last edited by Matt; 10-14-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I've never seen a Cycle Wilhelm and SGC only has a record of 1 before they started keeping track of the "suffered" variation, but if what you say is correct, that makes for an interesting situation - the Matty variation would seem to indicate the Cycle's were printed before the other runs, hence it has the error which was later corrected. If the Cycle Wilhelm is the "suffered" variation, then that would lean towards the Cycles being a later run, after the Piedmonts...
It exists, but I've only seen two in the past five years.

Hopefully the board member who owns one will post a scan.

Last edited by asoriano; 10-14-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Matt,

A Wilhelm "suffered" version does exist with a Cycle back. I believe the owner is a board member (Lentel) and he has shown the back several times.

r/
Frank
Old 10-14-2010, 11:20 AM
Matt Wieder

Interesting. I wonder where that leaves the discussion on if the Cycle's were printed before or after the other brands. Is it possible that different players were printed with different brand order? e.g. The sheet that Matty was on had it's first run with a Cycle back, but the sheet Wilhelm was on did it's Cycle run at a later date, after it was run with Piedmont.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Kyl&.. L&ntin&

Default wilhelm suffered cycle

Here is a scan of my t205 wilhelm "suffered" cycle back. SOrry the scan is not the clearest. But it is the "suffered" version with a cycle back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wilhelm 200.jpg (70.1 KB, 58 views)
Old 10-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Matt Wieder

Thanks Kyle, So now we need to think about the issue I raised above in terms of the ordering of the Cycle printings...
Old 10-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Kyl&.. L&ntin&

Default Front wilhelm

Here is the front if anyone is interested
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wilhelm front 100.jpg (71.4 KB, 56 views)
Old 10-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Matt E.
Banned

Kyle,
Very nice Wilhlem.

Matt E.

Last edited by Matt E.; 10-14-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:09 PM
Marc

I don't think it can be conclusive either way to look at a print variation as a measure of the timeline of the print run. It is just as likely that a plate was damaged or mistakenly adjusted at the end of the run thus causing the "incorrect" variation (Cycle Mathewson, Wilhelm "suffe ed", Doc White Polar Bear, etc) as it is that the mistake was discovered early and corrected in future runs.

As far as the Nee card with the printer's mark, I would not consider that a variation as there is no change in the content (meaning artwork design or text) of the card. This is simply a function of the placement on the sheet rather than any change in content of the card. If this is considered a variation, then every single card ever produced would have to be a variation as no two cards are printed and cut absolutely identically.