NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-20-2010, 06:12 PM

Default Vintage National League Baseballs

Now, I have only been collecting vintage baseballs for a few years now, and have never spotted a Young, Lynch, or Tener National league Ball. A few months ago, I was lucky to see another gentleman on here come away with a Pulliam ball and that was exciting to see. Do any of you fellas have any of these balls, That would be really cool to see them on here.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:15 AM

Are these balls that rare that no one has any? I wonder if the Gentleman that purchased the Pulliam ball would grace this thread with a few pics of his ball?...
Old 12-21-2010, 08:35 AM
P@u1 R31fer$0n

Default Here is a Lynch baseball

If I did this correctly, you should see a Lynch baseball. In 1951, Spalding reproduced a Young stamp that I can post at another time; I have doubts, however, that Spalding ever produced a Young stamp. I have several 1880s-1890s Spalding baseballs (including one with a Spalding box with a Young stamp), but none of the baseballs have Young's stamp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lynch.jpg (30.4 KB, 232 views)
Old 12-21-2010, 09:58 AM

Wow ! This is the first time that I have ever seen a " Lynch " ball. I dont think many collectors have ever seen one. This is a fantastic peice of history and I thank you for showing it.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:19 PM

These are from Dave, the owner of a Pullium ball. Fantastic baseball. Thanks for sharing it Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg harry.jpg (62.5 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg harry4.jpg (76.1 KB, 211 views)
Old 12-21-2010, 03:16 PM
P@u1 R31fer$0n

Default Young stamp

I believe this ball was produced by Spalding in 1951. Again, I have never seen evidence Spalding actually stamped baseballs with his signature during his tenure (1885-1902).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg young baseball.jpg (59.6 KB, 200 views)
Old 12-21-2010, 03:47 PM

Wow, thats still a pretty special ball none the less. How did you come by both of your baseballs? ( Lynch & Young )
Old 12-21-2010, 05:40 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Sorry to be a skeptic.....

but those balls look too good to be true (that's what she said).....are these the famous PastimeBaseballs knock-offs?

http://www.pastimebaseballs.com/
Old 12-21-2010, 05:59 PM

I dont think a true collector would want anything that wasn't original and real. To be honest with you, maybe its just ignorance, but I never even knew that this site/company exsisted. How can you tell whether a vintage ball is legit nowadays?
Old 12-21-2010, 06:09 PM

I just went to the website that Shoeless Moe posted, and im a little depressed now. How can you tell whether a ball you are buying or have purchased is legit?
Old 12-21-2010, 06:11 PM
P@u1 R31fer$0n

Default Skepticism is good

Skepticism is good. I don't think I could have been any clearer, though, that the Young stamp is not period. I believe it was created for the 75th anniversary of the National League. The Lynch baseball is the real thing; if you see it in person, you will have no doubt about it.

This discussion does raise a larger issue: how can you tell any baseball is vintage? It is becoming more and more difficult with several companies producing baseballs for "vintage base ball" leagues. I have used x-rays to date baseballs, since they allow you to get a good idea of what the core looks like. The stitches and the pattern of the stitching holes can also tell you quite a bit about the date of manufacture.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:20 PM
P@u1 R31fer$0n

Default Pastime Baseballs

I find these products concerning--especially when the web site shows you how the baseballs will look when aged. The earlier models are easy to tell from vintage baseballs (I am afraid to point out the differences for fear the company will adjust how they are made); later models may be difficult or impossible. Provenance will become increasingly important.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Kevin O'Gara

this is what pisses me off. these baseballs should be marked to show they are new. but someone is always a step ahead.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:48 PM

I agree, they should be marked somehow. They can make their baseballs look like they are original over 100 years old. Its sickening. And I dont know enough about what to look for to determine its validity. Is there a book or some sort of trick anyone can give me? Email me if neccessary, pm me...
Old 12-22-2010, 12:53 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

PastimeBaseballs replied to a Net54 members inquiry and per them anyone who can't tell the difference between a real one and one of theirs has issues. So while it wasn't the kindest response, if they speak the truth maybe it is fairly easy to tell the difference if u had both in hand. That being said that aging process of their makes them look at first glance pretty realistic. I am not going to support them to compare the 2, but perhaps you should if you are a ball collector so u can see if it's obvious or not.