NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-18-2019, 11:44 AM
Bill Mc.Nutt

Default PSA: Please Explain "Authentic Altered"

I am not big into sending cards to PSA, SGC, or any other card grader just to have a card graded. I feel "card grading" has somewhat ruined the market for collectors because so many cards are over priced, while I feel "car authentication" is great for the hobby due to the number of scumbags trying to ruin the greatest hobby on earth by infesting it with fakes and altered products. And anyone or any company that supports those scumbags are just as bad.

I recently purchased a 1909 E95 Philadelphia Caramel Frank Chance in the photo from a card shop in Bristol, Virginia. I tried to upload an image, but the site would not let me. It was obvious from the feel of the card, the looks, and of course.....the smell, the card is authentic. Since I have a rule that any tobacco or Pre-WW2 cards I buy online have to be authenticated by PSA or SGC, I decided I would at least get this card authenticated to keep everything uniformed. I figured, by the looks of the card, it would be graded at best a PR 1. But when I saw that it was graded "Authentic Altered", I was extremely shocked. I asked PSA multiple times to explain to me what was "altered", but they could not.

With all of the negative publicity that PSA is receiving in regards to grading trimmed cards, they need to start addressing what aspects brought them to the decision a card has been "altered". I lost all confidence in PSA. If you are going to accuse a collector or "altering" a card, but you are going to assist the scumbags on how to "trim" a card for a better grade, then you need to explain your finding to the collector as well.

I have no clue how to "alter" a card or even trim a card.

Last edited by bmcnutt; 08-18-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:14 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

They must’ve seen something that existed before you took ownership?

Maybe the grader was having a bad day, or got in a fight with his wife the night before. Maybe he was just lazy during his 30-second timeframe for appraisal.

Who knows... the whole process is random and dripping with slime, with favorable grades for “preferred” submitters. Regardless of the reason, it’s a perfect example of not needing a self-appointed expert to determine your cards’ status. YOU be the judge!
Old 08-18-2019, 12:43 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Most likely the card is trimmed or recolored or something else was done to it. If you can get a image, the board will likely be able to tell you right away what was wrong. The board software doesn't like uploading directly from a mobile device due to the file size. If you want to send me the scan, I'll upload it for you.

Dj
x2drich2000@yahoo.com
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 08-18-2019, 01:44 PM
David Kathman

PSA is not accusing you of altering the card; they're saying that at some point in the past, somebody altered it. This wasn't necessarily done with a malicious intent to deceive; it could have been any number of innocuous things. For example, there's the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle on eBay that I posted a link to in the "Bearded Mickey" thread. PSA graded it "Authentic Altered" because some kid in the distant past drew/scratched a beard on Mickey. There was no intent to deceive anybody or make the card look better; quite the contrary.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202441317919?ul_noapp=true

Or look at this T206 Cobb that PSA also graded "Authentic Altered". If you look very closely at the top border, you can see that there used to be something written in pencil there, and that somebody subsequently erased that pencil marking, also taking out some of the black border. (It's a lot easier to see if you have the card in hand and look with a magnifying glass.) I'm 99% sure that this erasure is the "alteration" that got the card its grade. Now, it's good to know about that, but I, personally, am not too bothered by it, so I'm happy to have this card in my collection. Others may disagree, and that's fine.

Old 08-18-2019, 02:59 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

You essentially got a PR1 as you expected.

According to my personal grading scale, an altered card is a Poor 1. And some poor cards are so beat up that PSA gives them an altered.

Last edited by drcy; 08-18-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:31 PM
Adam B

By any chance was the card in question purchased in a screwdown holder?
Old 08-18-2019, 08:37 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshot69 View Post
By any chance was the card in question purchased in a screwdown holder?
I thought of that as a possibility too.

I think the OP needs to post pictures.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:56 PM
Doug Goodman

Posting the card in question as a favor to the OP...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5609.jpg (76.1 KB, 418 views)
Old 08-18-2019, 09:38 PM
Adam B

Im not crazy about the lower right corner and Im not entirely sure what is covering up the left half of the “c” in Chicago, but I also don’t see anything definitive that would lead me to feel the card is clearly restored.

If I were holed up in a cubicle in Newport Beach I think I would be okay giving this a 1 at this time. There might be something I am missing by not judging the card in hand though.

Thanks for sharing.

FYI-I took a second look after I posted this and noticed the right edge gets shorter near the center of the card then wider towards the corners. This could have given the grader pause as well. There is also what appears to be a different sploch of color near the left side of Chance’s neckline. It might just be a small stain. Very tough to tell from the scan.

Last edited by Bigshot69; 08-18-2019 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:00 PM
Scott Russell

They're calling that bottom right trimmed, I am almost positive.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-18-2019, 10:08 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

I don't see where it's altered either. It all looks like honest wear to me and just a poor condition example. The authentic grade could just be from the excessive wear, but I don't see the altered part.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 08-18-2019, 10:56 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Agree, that whole right side is wavy. While it may be honest wear in some cases, when an edge doesn't go in a straight line they are still going to call it altered.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 08-19-2019, 06:08 AM
Glyn Parson

Quote:
I am more than confident this is the correct answer.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:37 AM
Scott Russell

All that being said I don't think the difference between that card in "A" or in "1" is going to be significant.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 08-19-2019, 08:40 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
All that being said I don't think the difference between that card in "A" or in "1" is going to be significant.
That's part of my gripe (not necessarily the OP's). There seems like a few educated guesses here. But there should be no need to guess. If you as a TPG are going to distinguish among levels of a beat-to-crap card (altered vs not altered), and in no-one's right mind would grade higher than a 1, why not say why you determined it was altered as well? There is little, if any, monetary incentive to hide the fact that it is altered, so why not provide details?

My rant wasn't directed at Scott, just a jumping off point.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:59 AM
Scott Russell

Sometimes they put a reason on the slab such as "Authentic Trimmed". I don't understand why it's not consistent.

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 08-19-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:34 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

The OP's card is in poor condition. Whether or not it was trimmed 100 years ago, it's in poor condition.

Personally, I wouldn't mind altered cards being graded as Poor 1, and I think it would be awesome for every altered PWCC and Gary Moser cards to be relabelled a 1. I'd love for the Gretzky Wagner to be relabelled as Poor 1. Talk about sending a message.

I'd start a movement for altered cards, including restored cards, to be labeled Poor 1.

Last edited by drcy; 08-19-2019 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:47 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
The OP's card is in poor condition. Whether or not it was trimmed 100 years ago, it's in poor condition.

Personally, I wouldn't mind altered cards being graded as Poor 1, and I think it would be awesome for every altered PWCC and Gary Moser cards to be relabelled a 1. I'd love for the Gretzky Wagner to be relabelled as Poor 1. Talk about sending a message.

I'd start a movement for altered cards, including restored cards, to be labeled Poor 1.
That is a GREAT idea. It might actually discourage card doctors from doing their thing. But first, we need a Grading Company that can be effective identifying the alterations.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:15 PM
Bill Mc.Nutt

Personally, I think card grading companies like PSA are bad for the collectors. I think Card Authentication Only would be great. We definitely need this will all of the fakes & frauds. The reason I think grading is bad for collectors is because it only benefits the sellers such as PWCC. I saw earlier that Dean's Cards has a 1960 Topps Willie McCovey Rookie Card NM/MT listed on eBay for a whopping $340.00. The book value is $250.00. Card grading companies are causing sellers to sell ungraded cards at premium prices above the book value all because of overpriced graded cards.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:11 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcnutt View Post
Personally, I think card grading companies like PSA are bad for the collectors. I think Card Authentication Only would be great. We definitely need this will all of the fakes & frauds. The reason I think grading is bad for collectors is because it only benefits the sellers such as PWCC. I saw earlier that Dean's Cards has a 1960 Topps Willie McCovey Rookie Card NM/MT listed on eBay for a whopping $340.00. The book value is $250.00. Card grading companies are causing sellers to sell ungraded cards at premium prices above the book value all because of overpriced graded cards.
No. Dean’s Cards has always listed their inventory at more than double market price. You can ALWAYS find a better deal within a few minutes of looking.

Last edited by egbeachley; 08-25-2019 at 06:12 PM.