NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 07-05-2019, 02:29 PM

Default Anyone know which "base" cards over the years were released post season?

I'm trying to figure out which cards that would appear by the numbering to be part of a base set were in fact released after the regular season was over.

1981 Topps Teaded (727-858) is an example.
1989 Upper Deck High Numbers (701-800) is another.
I'm assuming that the 1990-92 Upper Deck High Numbers also were released in October or later, but I haven't been able to confirm that.

Anyone have a good memory and/or information on all of this?

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2019, 09:35 PM
Steve Birmingham

I'd have to find some old publications I have somewhere, but what I recall is that the Topps traded sets 81- ? were released during the season.
Maybe the 89 Upper deck too?

I could be wrong, memory isn't all it used to be, so maybe 50-50?
Old 07-21-2019, 12:49 PM

My general memory is that the Topps Traded sets were always released after the regular season was over, but I don't have anything to back that up for the 80s or 90s sets. Beckett says that the 2000 and 2001 sets were released in October.

As for Upper Deck, BaseballCardpedia says that the 1989 final series was released in October.

But I'd love to hear of any evidence people have from old publications for any of these late-season sets...
Old 07-31-2019, 11:23 AM
Marc S.

I'm pretty sure that Topps Traded was released in the September timeframe - basically as a way to memorialize players on their new teams, but Topps also wanted to monetize sales before the season was actually over. In 1981, Fernando-mania was running rampant, and it was a good way to give Fernando his own card, versus a shared rookie card.

The 1989 Upper Deck High Series was released in October, so it was produced before the end of the season, but released after the end of the regular season (but before the postseason finished).
Old 08-03-2019, 09:24 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan View Post
In 1981, Fernando-mania was running rampant, and it was a good way to give Fernando his own card, versus a shared rookie card.
Do you think that was the impetus for the whole modern update/traded sets? If there was no Fernando-mania, would Topps have produced a Traded set in 1981?
Old 08-04-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan View Post
I'm pretty sure that Topps Traded was released in the September timeframe - basically as a way to memorialize players on their new teams, but Topps also wanted to monetize sales before the season was actually over. In 1981, Fernando-mania was running rampant, and it was a good way to give Fernando his own card, versus a shared rookie card.

The 1989 Upper Deck High Series was released in October, so it was produced before the end of the season, but released after the end of the regular season (but before the postseason finished).
So when do people remember that the traded/update sets started to be issued after the season ended? They were certainly released post-season by 2000, and probably much earlier. Maybe by 1984, when Fleer started its update set?