NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-08-2011, 02:50 PM
R.J. Hinners

Default Press photos - to sign or not to sign

EdwardLawrence.jpg

Obviously many of the press photos we on the board collect are of players no longer with us. But in cases where the subjects are still with us, how do fellow board members feel about having vintage photos signed today? Do you prefer to leave them in their original state, or feel that an added signature enhances the overall appeal of a photo? Please feel free to share some sample photos with your post!

Regards,

R.J.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:58 PM

R.J.-
That's a great question! I've pondered that questions like these myself at times and I can tell you that there is no right or wrong answer.
Your photo that you posted is an awesome image and I don't know if I would have that one signed. I love autographs, but my own bias is that I don't love having a vintage item signed with a modern signature. I would consider framing it with a vintage signed album page/cut/index card/GPC of the two players, FWIW. I'm interested to hear how other board members weigh in on this topic.

Good collecting!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 01-08-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:15 PM
Murr the Blurr

I pondered this question when I first started taking vintage wire photos to the Boxing Hall of Fame induction weekend several years ago. My solution was to make glossy copies of vintage photos and have the fighters sign the copies. That way, you still get a signature on a cool picture ... and you also keep the original in "unspoiled" condition. An added bonus was that when the old fighters were asked to sign, they inevitably had a neat story to tell about what was depicted in the photo. Roberto Duran even asked for a half-dozen copies of an shot of him pummeling Kenny Buchanan ...
Old 01-09-2011, 08:04 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

I've had several of them signed. I find that the players love signing them and always have a story about them or of something like them. Interesting for both parties. Frank
Old 01-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writehooks View Post
My solution was to make glossy copies of vintage photos and have the fighters sign the copies. That way, you still get a signature on a cool picture ... and you also keep the original in "unspoiled" condition.
Excellent suggestion.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:13 PM

As a photograph historian, I don't have an issue with them being signed. Clearly, I wouldn't want Pete Rose to sign an 1870s cabinet card, but Sandy Koufax signing a 1960s AP photo sound cool.

This doesn't mean I would chose to have a photo I owned signed or that I think they SHOULD be signed, but I can see the merits in someone going that route. I purchased a few 1940s news photos that were already autographed in a Gaynor auction-- Boo Ferris.

I also won an original 1910s Charles Conlon photo of Joe Wood, more modern signed by Wood on the front and Conlon on the back. Wood personalized it to the famous autograph collector Jeffrey Morey. One of my favorite autographs. The seller, a well known and respected autograph dealer, sold it simply as a Wood autograph, unaware of the significance (and value) of the Conlon stamp on back. The Conlon stamp was worth more than the Wood autograph.

Last edited by drc; 01-09-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:36 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I'd get something else signed...Probably a ball. Then you'll have 2 great pieces. But then again I'm a ball collector myself.

Other than that, I like Scott Garner's idea of something that can be matted and displayed with the photo. Overall I think Writehook's idea to make a glossy copy of the photo is probably my favorite suggestion..
Old 01-09-2011, 05:24 PM

Do whatever makes you happy. Collect things that have value to you not what you think will have value in the future if you sell it. To me the hobby is about personal enjoyment not how much of a profit you can get from it down the line.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:28 AM
T!M R10rd@n

I have had a couple signed and I thnk it adds to the signing experience as the signer enjoys seeing something different.

This is a 1958 WS wirephoto that I picked up about two years ago, that I got autographed by Yogi in November.

Next, Berra on the golf course in Hawaii after the 1955 season. I picked this up at The National this year and I've shown this pic here before, but in November added Yogi's autograph. At 85 years old, Yogi is still a pretty sharp and funny guy. When he saw this picture his eyes lit up and he asked me if I knew who the guys in the picture were. I started right to left with McDougald, Webb, and that I thought the next one looked a lot like him . . . then the gentlemen with him seated to his left chimed in with the last one being Dickey. Yogi pauses and turns to him with this patiently impatient glare, and then says to him "I KNOW you know who they are. I was asking him if he knew they were." With the look on his face, it was pretty funny.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
R.J.-
That's a great question! I've pondered that questions like these myself at times and I can tell you that there is no right or wrong answer.
Your photo that you posted is an awesome image and I don't know if I would have that one signed. I love autographs, but my own bias is that I don't love having a vintage item signed with a modern signature. I would consider framing it with a vintage signed album page/cut/index card/GPC of the two players, FWIW. I'm interested to hear how other board members weigh in on this topic.

Good collecting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Writehooks View Post
I pondered this question when I first started taking vintage wire photos to the Boxing Hall of Fame induction weekend several years ago. My solution was to make glossy copies of vintage photos and have the fighters sign the copies. That way, you still get a signature on a cool picture ... and you also keep the original in "unspoiled" condition. An added bonus was that when the old fighters were asked to sign, they inevitably had a neat story to tell about what was depicted in the photo. Roberto Duran even asked for a half-dozen copies of an shot of him pummeling Kenny Buchanan ...
Being a photograph collector, I almost always value the content of the photo over the signature on it. So I completely concur with both of these suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDice View Post
Do whatever makes you happy. Collect things that have value to you not what you think will have value in the future if you sell it. To me the hobby is about personal enjoyment not how much of a profit you can get from it down the line.
But Mike's comment is absolutely spot-on. Stick to his words and you can't go wrong!