NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Belltown Vintage

Default Auction House Browsers

Are there auction houses that you don't spend much time dealing with (either as a potential consignor or customer), simply because their catalog-browsing is a pain?

There are so many auctions to choose from these days, that I find myself simply ignoring some for the above reason. I've emailed to ask a couple about their software, thinking I must be missing something. I'm not.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:28 AM
Jake

It's been said many times

HUNTS

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 12-17-2012, 10:47 AM

Perhaps I missed a button, but one complaint that comes to mind is you can't see an entire Lelands category in one long line. With many auctions you can choose who many lots per page you can see (Sometimes the max allowed is 100 per page, but that's still a good amount and is fine). Will this stop me from browsing all the lots in a sitting? Yes.

I don't follow Hunts so can't comment on them, but most auction house formats are acceptable to me. I don't require a cookie cutter approach.

Last edited by drc; 12-17-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

You can't see Lelands auction catalog sequentially....which is a complaint of mine.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I bid in Hunts auctions so don't want to be hypocritical, but their website leaves a lot to be desired. It's so inexpensive to have a company host it and use (their) better auction s/w I really don't get it.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:47 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

It's gotten to where so many of them use SimpleAuction's software, that most look almost identical, at least when it comes to sports memorabilia. I'm not sure what other AH's use them, but they've just about got the market cornered when it comes to sports collectibles.

Hunt's would be a little more passable if they would just increase the size of the thumbnail images. At least they've now started printing catalogs for their monthly auctions, so I browse that first and dogear pages with lots I'm interested in before even going to view them online.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:22 PM

Default Auction Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
It's gotten to where so many of them use SimpleAuction's software, that most look almost identical, at least when it comes to sports memorabilia. I'm not sure what other AH's use them, but they've just about got the market cornered when it comes to sports collectibles.

Hunt's would be a little more passable if they would just increase the size of the thumbnail images. At least they've now started printing catalogs for their monthly auctions, so I browse that first and dogear pages with lots I'm interested in before even going to view them online.
Lance, we currently have over 100 customers that range from rock and roll to political memorabilia but the majority of our clients are indeed sports memorabilia.

We would love to hear from anyone that has ideas to improve your user experience. You can email me personally at bob@simpleauctionsite.com with any suggestions or ideas. Thanks
Old 12-17-2012, 05:31 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfreedman View Post
Lance, we currently have over 100 customers that range from rock and roll to political memorabilia but the majority of our clients are indeed sports memorabilia.

We would love to hear from anyone that has ideas to improve your user experience. You can email me personally at bob@simpleauctionsite.com with any suggestions or ideas. Thanks
I'd be curious to see what items were most recently bid on, which can give you an idea in extended time to see if things are winding down. I think REA and Sterling have this, so not sure if this is a feature that AH's simply need to turn on.

One thing, however, that I would like improved is view auctions via mobile. I have an iphone, and sometimes I am out and about when the auctions are ending, so I use my phone to place bids. The formating on phones can look really bad sometimes, and sometimes, I can only see one of the pictures for a lot when it has multiple pictures.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:43 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfreedman View Post

From my point of view, it's easy: Really listen and don't be defensive. Most people don't have malicious intent.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:46 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
From my point of view, it's easy: Really listen and don't be defensive. Most people don't have malicious intent.
Good points and I think Bob does listen. Scott's and my auction, B & L, changed to their hosting and s/w last auction and we are very happy. I still don't know which is better for the consignors, closing each lot or the whole auction at once, But that is another debate. Bob and team have very good software/hosting and it is easy to use. I recommend them to anyone.

Last edited by Leon; 12-17-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
I'd be curious to see what items were most recently bid on, which can give you an idea in extended time to see if things are winding down. I think REA and Sterling have this, so not sure if this is a feature that AH's simply need to turn on.

One thing, however, that I would like improved is view auctions via mobile. I have an iphone, and sometimes I am out and about when the auctions are ending, so I use my phone to place bids. The formating on phones can look really bad sometimes, and sometimes, I can only see one of the pictures for a lot when it has multiple pictures.
Gary, we have designed some sites for mobile devices for the companies that have elected to pay for the development work, I believe Mile High, Legendary and Goodwin are the only companies that have done so.

The recent bids is a business decision by each company of what they want on their home page. The real estate on the home page is so important and each company has to decide to what they want on it.

Scott, I welcome any and all comments on our software, thanks
Old 12-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Belltown Vintage

Leon, I wonder if Hunt and or Leland's is reading this?

If so, perhaps Bob can expect a call soon and this thread will have benefited someone monetarily. Although it could be argued that the auction houses and consignors would also benefit monetarily if the switch were made to Bob's software.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:29 PM
K!ya S@bet

Personally I think Huggins and Scott's site is the best. A lot of search options and easy navigation. Plus it's a break from Simple Auction (not that I have a problem with SA)
Old 12-17-2012, 09:36 PM

Other than the detail I pointed out, I don't mind Leland's format. I wasn't recommending wholesale changes.

Last edited by drc; 12-17-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Belltown Vintage

Clean Sweep has the same problem as Leland's. Steve also suggested that I click on the categories at the left, which is exactly what I'm trying to communicate that I would prefer not to do. But I'll say this - they all get back to me quickly.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:30 PM
Al

When I started my company I knew full well that there were a host of options out there, from building my own software platform to purchasing off-the-shelf software to working with a service provider like Bob's. Having worked in associated industries for years, I know that there is no shortage of web development companies out there.

It took one conference call with Bob to seal the deal for me. Not only is his company's software excellent, but they provided me with the ability to customize the look and feel of the software to my heart's desire, and to build functionality that is not part of their off-the-shelf solution. They were happy to work with my design team to incorporate my branding elements into their software so that the look and feel of my site met my design requirements. And what's more, I've been working with Bob's team to consistently enhance the software so that the user experience will continuously improve as we conduct more and more auctions. As we move forward, the LOTG interface will continue to evolve - I believe it is among the most elegant out there today, we've made improvements that you'll see in the next auction, and I've already got a list of improvements to work on for Spring.

Bob is first rate, and I don't regret choosing his company for a minute.

And no, I don't encourage anyone to start any more auction companies.

-Al
Old 12-17-2012, 10:32 PM

I browsed your past auction, Al, and it looked to to me. Though yours was a smaller auction.

Last edited by drc; 12-17-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I bid in Hunts auctions so don't want to be hypocritical, but their website leaves a lot to be desired. It's so inexpensive to have a company host it and use (their) better auction s/w I really don't get it.

Ditto.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:15 PM
Val Kehl

I'm in the camp of those who dislike the Hunt Auctions website. One of Hunt's deficiencies that really ticks me off is the absence of more than one pic for most of the items in their monthly auctions. For example, in the Hunt auction that ends tonite, there is a vintage, colorful composition notebook with Matty on the front cover and WaJo on the back cover. But, there is only a pic of the front cover, which I don't care much about because I am a WaJo collector, and I would only display the back cover. Yes, I could contach Hunt's and ask them to send me a pic of the back cover, but I won't bother with this hassle because I've already overspent my collecting budget for 2012! But, I have to think this lack of sufficient pics results in consignors receiving less than they would if they had consigned to other auction houses. In fact, it mystifies me as to why any knowledgeable collector would consign anything to Hunt's!
Val Kehl
Old 12-19-2012, 08:53 PM
Belltown Vintage

Regarding Hunt, I didn't say anything, but their horrible browser software and tiny pictures are kind of their trademark. It's the only auction where I HAVE to have a catalog

And I generally find nice stuff there - won two GREAT lots tonight!!!