NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-02-2011, 03:31 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson proofs/test/FINAL negatives/etc

Does anyone have any Brooksie test/proof/FINAL negatives/match print...etc., etc. Would LOVE to see (PLEASE!!!)
Old 01-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Al Richter

Default Robinson Proofs

Particularly the Topps 68 3D
Old 01-02-2011, 08:01 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Robinson proofs

From my understanding there is only one Brooks Robinson TEST Square '68 Topps 3D. Years ago I saw it in an auction catalogue; I believe it went for 12K back then. I'm unsure who owns the card currently, but it has to be one of the rarest Brooksie card item.

Also,the '61 Dice Game just sold in auction as well. Went for a lot more than I could afford, but that was a GREAT card!

Gotta love some Brooksie proof stuff (photo's anyone?!?)
Old 01-03-2011, 08:21 AM
Al Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
From my understanding there is only one Brooks Robinson TEST Square '68 Topps 3D. Years ago I saw it in an auction catalogue; I believe it went for 12K back then. I'm unsure who owns the card currently, but it has to be one of the rarest Brooksie card item.

Also,the '61 Dice Game just sold in auction as well. Went for a lot more than I could afford, but that was a GREAT card!

Gotta love some Brooksie proof stuff (photo's anyone?!?)

The Robinson Dice was on display at the National in Baltimore before that auction. I have only one 61 Dice card, a Kaline
Old 01-03-2011, 09:49 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson proofs

ALR Bishop... I was at the National, but I must of missed seeing the Brooksie card, other than pictured on the auction site. I've seen a Frank Robinson at a show years ago, but never a Brooks. Also, any way you can post the Kaline? I've never seen that particular card either. Does it have a staple hole/s as well?
Old 01-04-2011, 07:56 AM
Al Richter

Default Kaline

No pin hole but pretty soft corners. If you give me mailing address I can send you color copy of front and back.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:51 AM
M@rk Comer

Sent you the information along with my email if you'd like that as well. Thanks!
Old 01-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

You B. Robby fans should take a look at this ultra-cool post over at the Fleer Sticker blog:

http://fleersticker.blogspot.com/201...-all-time.html
Old 01-06-2011, 05:14 PM

isn't this thread useless w/o pictures???

No, none are mine
Old 01-06-2011, 11:30 PM
M@rk Comer

Toppcat... Very nice! Thanks for the link to the Fleer Sticker blog... I haven't taken a look at this area lately; appreciate the update! Gotta love the Brooks Robinson Sporting Goods tags!

jmoran19...That's what I'm talking about...pictures! Does anyone know who owns the '68 3D? A friend of mine, I met through the hobby, used to own this test card; I believe that was late 70's, but ultimately sold it. I saw in one of the big auction houses many years ago and like I said earlier went for something like 12K back then... Wonder what it would go for today?!?

I personally tried at this '61 Dice Game, but had to drop out, I just couldn't afford to go any higher than I did. I guess I'll never own one personally, but it is sure nice to see (especially so LARGE!). Thanks jmoran19!!!
Old 01-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Howard Chasser

Default 68 Robinson

The 68 Robinson was pwned by a dealer named Brian ?????? - I believe out of NJ. He dealt in all kinds of crazy oddball and proof stuff. I remember seeing it at his table. Don't know what ultimately happened with it. Have you checked with Larry or Bob to see if they have it?
Old 01-09-2011, 07:01 PM
M@rk Comer

hcv123... I'm new to this site; I'm unfamiliar who Larry and/or Bob are? I'm assuming big test collectors?
Old 01-09-2011, 07:55 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default brooks 3-d

i dont know who has that one
it last traded a long time ago
probably is a 1 and only though so wont sell again til the collection is sold
Old 01-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

I have to say, I have heard there is another copy of the B Robby 3D prototype from a couple of different sources. Knowing Topps, I would find it odd there only being one. 2-4 extant is a reasonable guess for any truly unissued Topps test or proof card from the 60's. The file copy/brass saved items seem to exist in greater numbers than one in almost every instance.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Brian Morris

Quote:
hcv123... I'm new to this site; I'm unfamiliar who Larry and/or Bob are? I'm assuming big test collectors?
I believe was the dealers name out of NJ (He used to set up at the Willow Grove show among others) - Don't know how much work you want to do on this, but try to look him up and see if he can put you on the trail. As for Larry and Bob, yes both big test collectors. Larry checked in above and obviously doesn't own it. Bob checks the board pretty regularly. Be well.

-Howard
Old 01-10-2011, 07:26 AM
Al Richter

Default Bob

...is off playing bridge. His 3D collection is on the Registry...bobsbbcards.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:55 PM
M@rk Comer

Al - where are the registries located so I can view his?
Old 01-11-2011, 07:40 AM
Al Richter

Default Registry

Mark---someone more capable than I will likely be able to give you a direct link. But if you do a search for "PSA Authenticators" you will get the PSA web site. At the top you will find a link to Registry Sets. Once there go to baseball and the sets are listed by year and manufacturer. Many of the sets, have pictures. They also have another sports card bulletin board there with links at the bottom of the home page
Old 01-11-2011, 07:54 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Link

Here is a link to all of Bobs registry sets. No Brooks in the 3-d's though.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:05 AM
M@rk Comer

hcv123... Thanks so much for the link. He has a "very" nice collection going there. It's ok that he doesn't have the Brooksie 3D; I would like to one day see a picture/scan of the back of the card. I saw a picture of the front, and it was also posted here, of the 3D card. I know I'll never own the card personally, due to cost/availability, but it would be nice to see.

Does anyone know if this is the only Brooks 3D proof...or is there another somewhere?!? You would figure they would have to go through the process for this particular proof; maybe there is something else out there from Topps, like a match photo, or something from the process of creating the 3D card?
Old 01-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

As per my previous, which you may have missed (how dare you ) I have heard they may be another B Robby proof. The guy who would probably know best is Keith Olbermann. It would be very odd for there to only be one, although not unprecedented.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:31 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Robinson proofs

Dave... I did read your previous post (I wouldn't of missed it for the world that you heard there may have been another B. Robby proof. I was just seeing if anyone on this forum "knows" of another 3D proof card and/or a proof from the production process for the 3D card. Like you said, you figure there would be more than one (maybe not), but it would make sense. Wouldn't they have at least had a file photo, match print photo, negative, something from the development of that proof; even "if" there is only one Brooksie 3D proof?
Old 01-12-2011, 06:16 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Dave... I did read your previous post (I wouldn't of missed it for the world that you heard there may have been another B. Robby proof. I was just seeing if anyone on this forum "knows" of another 3D proof card and/or a proof from the production process for the 3D card. Like you said, you figure there would be more than one (maybe not), but it would make sense. Wouldn't they have at least had a file photo, match print photo, negative, something from the development of that proof; even "if" there is only one Brooksie 3D proof?
The 3D cards were produced by Visual Panographics for Topps, so they would have sent copies over to Topps brass or had samples for a pitch meeting. The normal Topps process of internal pitch meetings may not have happened for this product as it may have been the outside vendor trying to sell Topps on the concept.

There is a single soccer card that may be a proof as well a player named Cane from Napoli so the 3D process may have been a concept pitched to another company or this was for Topps A&BC subsidiary in England. More here: http://toppsarchives.blogspot.com/se...8%20Topps%203D click thru to the Olbermann article that mentions this card (very bottom of that link on the scd site).

There are "normal" 3D proofs/uncut cards as well in multiples.

Last edited by toppcat; 01-12-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:22 AM
Al Richter

Default 3Ds

In his SCD article a year or so ago KO described the many variations of each 3D card in the standard set. I saved it but don't remember the exact number. Almost all the cards have at least two back versions and several have distinct front variations. I have a set but my only variation is the Maloney dugout or no dugout versions.

Dave...you need to kidnap Woody Gelman before it is too late and hold him until he tells you all he knows. ( For any internet police who may be watching I am only kidding.... and know Dave to be a person of sound mind....well mostly )
Old 01-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
In his SCD article a year or so ago KO described the many variations of each 3D card in the standard set. I saved it but don't remember the exact number. Almost all the cards have at least two back versions and several have distinct front variations. I have a set but my only variation is the Maloney dugout or no dugout versions.

Dave...you need to kidnap Woody Gelman before it is too late and hold him until he tells you all he knows. ( For any internet police who may be watching I am only kidding.... and know Dave to be a person of sound mind....well mostly )
Al-I am in the middle of some heavily researched stuff at the moment regarding not Gelman but the Shorin's. Some of it is going to be published in the Wrapper's next issue (#257) and some of it will be posted on my blog after that. If that's not enough, I am working on a guide to the early Topps cards of 1948-51. That last project will be where I dig into Gelman's particulars hopefully.

As for the Shorin family, I found a ton of new information on them over the past month and have a newfound respect for their business acumen to say the least!

As for sound mind, after that Punchouts post, I am not so sure....
Old 01-13-2011, 12:28 AM
M@rk Comer

toppcat - is Wrapper's concerning the collection of "wrappers", i.e. baseball, football, etc.? Sounds like you do a lot of research into this type of stuff; since I'm a newbie, can you get me up to speed on what you collect and what type of research you do? (oh...and maybe clue me in on your blog; sounds like a very interesting read)
Old 01-13-2011, 07:54 AM
Al Richter

Default What You Would ike To Know About Topps

Mark---see the link 3 posts above
Old 01-13-2011, 09:40 AM
M@rk Comer

Default What You Would ike To Know About Topps

Al - since that particular post I've been reading w/in this area (I'm not sure I should of started, because now I can't stop! Is this what toppcat was talking about when he mentioned "Wrapper's" and his blog? I assume these are two different areas where he is documenting.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Al Richter

Default Wrapper Magazine

Mark---Dave can speak for himself but I think he is doing an article for Wrapper magazine...if you google that you will find their web site. His Topps blog referenced above is my "gospel" for info on regular, insert and test Topps issues.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Hi Mark:

I've been tracking all the various oddities produced by Topps from the beginning until about 1980, although I am more and more focusing on the pre 1972 stuff and the corporate history.

The Wrapper is indeed a great little magazine published by Les Davis that has been going for over thirty years. Here is their link where you can order a sample copy; it's pretty much my favorite hobby publication:
http://www.thewrappermagazine.com/

My Wrapper piece is on the origins of Topps and their predecessor companies. It contains a lot of new information about the Shorin family and debunks many of the commonly told anecdotes that are all over the web concerning the early days.

I collect type examples of all Topps cards thru 1980 but as noted above I may scale this back to pre-72. I've pretty much put together all the Topps baseball sets I care to at this point as well, though it's only a short run from 67-75. I also collect old Brooklyn Dodgers cards and am working on a T206 set plus a couple odds and ends.

You should never listen to what Al says by the way
Old 01-13-2011, 06:22 PM
M@rk Comer

Default B. Robby Test Items

Dave - If you do ever go pre-72..."remember" me for all your '72-'78 Brooksie items if you depart w/them

WoW! I'm sure there's a tremendous amount of research involved in locating the "true" history of these companies. Is most of the information from a first hand source, or is it from secondary, and/or from reading documents from the past?

You gotta listen to AL!
Old 01-16-2011, 09:47 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Mark:

My post 72 stuff is essentially the full run of Topps sets, nothing esoteric save a couple of test issue types i plan to keep. Don't think I have any Brooksie items outside of that.

Most of my sources have been secondary but I am trying to get some primary source material going and have had some success on that front (and one notable failure as Arthur Shorin, very politely, just begged off answering a few key questions). My biggest issue is what I am going to do with all my research; for now some articles, the blog and a couple of focused guidebooks are my plan.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:05 PM
M@rk Comer

Why do you think these individuals, that were very influential within these companies, seem hesitant to answer the questions of the past?
Old 01-17-2011, 07:32 AM
Al Richter

Default Questions

I would bet what seems important to collectors now was insignificant to them at the time and that they may not actually know or remember a lot of this stuff unless there are records, which beyond the kind of stuff coming out of Topps Vaults may be doubtful
Old 01-17-2011, 08:39 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Why do you think these individuals, that were very influential within these companies, seem hesitant to answer the questions of the past?
Topps brass never wanted their employees to talk, especially management. That extends to this day, even after the company was sold. Just they way they did things, which I have to say worked quite well.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:12 PM
M@rk Comer

Assuming that they know, or remember, I don't know what would be the purpose of keeping the information confidential at this point.