NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-04-2016, 07:02 AM
Brendan Mullen

Default Ball From the Final Out of the World Series

Can a dollar figure be placed on the ball from the last out of the 2016 World Series this year? Kris Bryant fielded it....and threw to Rizzo at first....who immediately put it in his back pocket. I believe that the ball technically belongs to Rizzo now (?). Yes or no? What do you think this ball is worth? Or will Rizzo just donate it to the HOF? Thoughts?
Old 11-04-2016, 07:10 AM
pete ullman

he who ends up with the ball...owns the ball imo! i'm sure the ball will be given to the cubs organization or the hof...time will tell. as far as value...it's a $10 ball...that some people would pay a lot of money for!
Old 11-04-2016, 07:23 AM
Scott S

The last out ball from the Red Sox curse-breaking 2004 win turned out to be a big headache for first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz. Interesting read....

Story on the saga of the 2004 last out ball
Old 11-04-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
The last out ball from the Red Sox curse-breaking 2004 win turned out to be a big headache for first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz. Interesting read....

If David Ortiz ad the ball, it would never have been an issue. Rizzo is one of the most popular Cubs and a centerpiece of their future. Now if the last out was a strike out and the third string catcher had the ball, you would have a point.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:44 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:

Say it ain't so. --- Rizzo's Boner

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:12 AM
Peter Spaeth

25 years from now some auction house will claim they have it, together with a letter of authenticity from the son of the fan to whom a drunk Rizzo gave it that night.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:11 AM
Jay Cee

Remember how much money Mark Mcgwire's HR ball sold for which was either number 72 or 73 when he and Sosa were battling. I would guess the value in that ball has been cut in half.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:56 AM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Remember how much money Mark Mcgwire's HR ball sold for which was either number 72 or 73 when he and Sosa were battling. I would guess the value in that ball has been cut in half.
McGwire's 70th home run ball went for $3M if I remember right. Todd MacFarlane (did the Spawn comic books among other things) bought it and shouldn't be in any cash crunch, so we probably won't see it come up for sale, but if it did it would struggle to reach 10% of that price now I'm sure.

Last edited by scooter729; 11-04-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
That was about the time I paid 125 for a raw Mcgwire rookie and then later sold it for about 40 bucks, graded an 8 at the time of sale.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:11 AM
Mike

I would believe the ball and all equipment the players wear and use including significant baseballs are property of the team and therefore the ball would have to be given to the Cubs organization. I am sure a first hit or first homerun the ball is collected for the player, with permission from the team the ball is given to the player. I wouldn't doubt that as soon as Rizzo entered the dugout or the locker room a Cubs Rep was their asking for the ball. The players are entitled to keep some equipment with the teams permission each year, this has been true for many years. The baseball's only place is in the Hall of Fame 108 years of waiting for a World Series win is historic.
Mike

Last edited by brookdodger55; 11-04-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:06 PM

Players used to buy their own uniforms but I don't know if that is still a thing. Equipment tends to come from a sponsorship deal, so I don't think equipment belongs to the team either. If the baseballs are provided by MLB and if someone were to claim ownership of a physical baseball I would think it would be MLB and not the individual team. Unless the team purchases the baseballs.

Last edited by packs; 11-04-2016 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:11 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Maybe Rizzo will return the ball to the Cubs organization or MLB. Or return "a ball" (not necessarily that ball). How would anyone really know?

As the first baseman, he has access to lots of identical balls. There must have been dozens of balls (all with identical stampings/markings) used in that game alone.

Last edited by perezfan; 11-04-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:16 PM

Wasn't it Jack Clark that sold two versions of one of his homers?

Last edited by packs; 11-04-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:54 PM
C0le Hibb@rd

Apparently the ball was already added to the Heritage auction. Should be interesting

Successful BST deals with: Smanzari, Edwolf1963, Sean1125, scmavl, Runscott, jthorst75, EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
Old 11-04-2016, 12:55 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Wasn't it Jack Clark that sold two versions of one of his homers?
Man, some people sure have balls.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagerookies51 View Post
Apparently the ball was already added to the Heritage auction. Should be interesting
I think the ball to be auctioned by Heritage is the last-out ball from the 1908 World Series.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:13 PM
C0le Hibb@rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
I think the ball to be auctioned by Heritage is the last-out ball from the 1908 World Series.
Whoops, you're right. The owner was probably watching Game 7 just waiting to consign it once the Cubs won

Successful BST deals with: Smanzari, Edwolf1963, Sean1125, scmavl, Runscott, jthorst75, EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
Old 11-04-2016, 01:21 PM
Peter Spaeth

http://www.auctionreport.com/heritag...tage-auctions/

So Jennings got it from Chance, but the ball says from Charlie Schmidt (the batter)?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:21 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Say it ain't so. --- Rizzo's Boner
Frank,

I am sure many women in Chicago would be interested in Rizzo's boner. LMAO
Old 11-04-2016, 01:23 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
Man, some people sure have balls.
Yes, in his case, apparently two for every home run he hit.

Insert your own punch line here...
Old 11-04-2016, 01:44 PM

Rizzo handed the ball over to the owner today at the parade, so wonder no more.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 11-04-2016, 06:30 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
Good to hear. I can't see how a particular player would have ownership over something like that anyway? I would think it would, and rightfully so, belong to whoever purchased the ball for use in the game. Either way, it's good to see it go to a place where hopefully the team and fans will get to appreciate it for years to come.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:13 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

As if he wasn't loved enough by Cubs fans, now he's loved 8 billion times more!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
Good to hear. I can't see how a particular player would have ownership over something like that anyway? I would think it would, and rightfully so, belong to whoever purchased the ball for use in the game. Either way, it's good to see it go to a place where hopefully the team and fans will get to appreciate it for years to come.
It doesn't apply here because the ball stayed on the field, but Barry Bonds' record setting home run set off a lot of legal analysis.

http://www.lookstein.org/links/homerun.htm

Old 11-04-2016, 10:54 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It doesn't apply here because the ball stayed on the field, but Barry Bonds' record setting home run set off a lot of legal analysis.

http://www.lookstein.org/links/homerun.htm
Who does the check get made out to for their time?
Old 11-05-2016, 06:47 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I don't know the answer but by the looks of that document it wasn't a cheap legal case(s)....The more writing the more billable hours, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipAbbott79 View Post
Who does the check get made out to for their time?
Old 11-05-2016, 06:59 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
How about selling the ball to the highest corporate sponsor (say $15 million) with the condition that: (1) the money goes to local childrens'
charities and (2) it must be publicly displayed into perpetuity. That's a sponsorship I could approve.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:56 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Talk about an idle sidebar to a good topic, but I can't help but wonder who pays for the baseballs in a WS game? Does the home team provide and then vice versa when the teams switch? Does each respective league share the cost? Or does MLB pick up the whole ticket? These are the issues that keep me awake at night.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:05 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Talk about an idle sidebar to a good topic, but I can't help but wonder who pays for the baseballs in a WS game? Does the home team provide and then vice versa when the teams switch? Does each respective league share the cost? Or does MLB pick up the whole ticket? These are the issues that keep me awake at night.
I wondered that as well. If the home team purchases the ball and the ball stays in the field of play then, hypothetical, do they retain ownership? In other words, maybe Rizzo should have given in back to the owner of the Indians.
Drew
Old 11-05-2016, 06:21 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

If the ball is in the stadium, but it is in the persons pocket who owns it? I can go to a store, put something in my pocket but not leave the store with it. That does not mean it is mine and I own it.

It has not left the stadium, but I would think that technically one could argue that it was stolen. It was never that person's ball to put in their pocket and leave with, regardless of the sense of ownership.

Last edited by PhillipAbbott79; 11-05-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipAbbott79 View Post
If the ball is in the stadium, but it is in the persons pocket who owns it? I can go to a store, put something in my pocket but not leave the store with it. That does not mean it is mine and I own it.

It has not left the stadium, but I would think that technically one could argue that it was stolen. It was never that person's ball to put in their pocket and leave with, regardless of the sense of ownership.

But what about all the foul balls that fans take home?

Lawyers could have a lot of fun arguing this question.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:04 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
Yes, in his case, apparently two for every home run he hit.

Insert your own punch line here...
...as opposed to John Kruk...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 11-06-2016, 06:59 AM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramram View Post
But what about all the foul balls that fans take home?

Lawyers could have a lot of fun arguing this question.

They could simply make a stadium rule stating that foul balls may be subject to retrieval.

I believe that if they wanted to pursue a stolen ball, they could, but they chose not to. That would not be to say that they had to post a generic rule to make a case for a single ball.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:46 AM
Chris Wood

What if a player throws a ball into the stands during batting practice or during the game? It belongs to the person catching/retrieving in, right? Would it be the same if this ball was handed off to his wife?
Old 11-06-2016, 07:47 AM

I'm pretty sure you guys are all overthinking this matter. A team like the Indians, even if they could say the last WS ball was their ball, wouldn't do something like that, regardless of possible value. It's an unwritten rule in baseball, and something they never even discuss. The home team pays for the baseballs, but they don't claim ownership over any baseball for any reason.

Once a fan has a baseball, it belongs to them. That should be obvious to anyone who has heard about negotiations for a significant ball. A team wouldn't negotiate with a fan and fail in some cases if they had the right to take the ball back.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 11-06-2016, 08:19 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you guys are all overthinking this matter. A team like the Indians, even if they could say the last WS ball was their ball, wouldn't do something like that, regardless of possible value. It's an unwritten rule in baseball, and something they never even discuss. The home team pays for the baseballs, but they don't claim ownership over any baseball for any reason.

Once a fan has a baseball, it belongs to them. That should be obvious to anyone who has heard about negotiations for a significant ball. A team wouldn't negotiate with a fan and fail in some cases if they had the right to take the ball back.
Ah, I respectfully disagree. I am sure balls in the stands belong to the team that purchased them. The fact that they try to negotiate with people nicely is strictly for good public relations. If they wanted a cop to take it out of your hand I have reason to think they could. Nowhere on the back of your ticket to my knowledge does it say balls, bats, and other things that end of in the stands are the property of whoever retrieves it. Yes the practice is not to do take it back but it doesn't mean anything legally.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:39 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Ah, I respectfully disagree. I am sure balls in the stands belong to the team that purchased them. The fact that they try to negotiate with people nicely is strictly for good public relations. If they wanted a cop to take it out of your hand I have reason to think they could. Nowhere on the back of your ticket to my knowledge does it say balls, bats, and other things that end of in the stands are the property of whoever retrieves it. Yes the practice is not to do take it back but it doesn't mean anything legally.
There are actually a few stadiums that do mention on tickets that balls hit in the stands are the property of the fan who catches it. I'm thinking Seattle and maybe San Francisco but it is definitely not on most but rather just a possible few.
Drew
Old 11-06-2016, 10:18 AM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:

Right. Practice and good relations versus what is legal are two very different things.

I don't claim to be a lawyer, but here is my take on this:

They may be told that they CAN throw a ball into the stands, or they may have not been told they can or can't at all. Regardless of what they are told, does not change who the technical owner of the ball is. The person tossing or hitting the ball into the stands or catching the ball was potentially not involved in the negotiation of what can and can't be done with the ball(in one case a player which is technilcally an employee and in another a fan nor person which the previous owner has no imposing power over). They are simply the catcher/potential new owner of the ball and may be subject to different rules and guidelines since MLB or the team can impose rules upon its employees.

Even if a player were given explicit permission to throw a ball, or multiple balls that doesn't mean they can throw all balls. Even if you threw all balls into the stands that still wouldn't necessarily constitute an ownership change. I think the distinction is that just because you hold it doesn't mean it is yours, but I may be very wrong about this.

Last edited by PhillipAbbott79; 11-06-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:24 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Pretty sure in NFL games when a field goal evades the netting there is no option. Three or four burly guys come up to you and say lets have it. Unless things have changed since I last attended a pro football game about 15 years ago.

(Why anyone goes to a pro football live for any reason other than to get drunk and act stupid in public is beyond me. . . . but clearly a subject for another board.)
Old 11-06-2016, 10:52 AM
Chris

At baseball games I've been to, it seems like they always take back bats that are inadvertently thrown. Legal issues aside (I'm a lawyer but not on a clock so won't think of those for now), it's nice to see a ball that is special for more than just an individual end up in a place where more people can hopefully enjoy it--assuming the owner will display it for fans, etc.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Like I said, people here are putting too much thought into this. The difference between what I am saying and what you are saying is something that wouldn't happen. MLB would NEVER have someone take the ball from a fan regardless of value, so there is no reason to look into the legal aspect of it.

Teams try to get back baseballs all the time from fans for various milestones and if they can't work out a reasonable deal, then the fan keeps the ball. Fairly simple, no legal detective work needed, it doesn't happen.

Last edited by z28jd; 11-06-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:18 PM
Sean Costello

Also not a lawyer, but I don't see how a baseball team could claim ownership of a ball that goes into the stands, and at the same time say that they aren't liable for any injuries causes by a ball that is hit into the stands.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:50 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
At baseball games I've been to, it seems like they always take back bats that are inadvertently thrown.
My understanding is that they do that because a player generally prefers using the same bat until it becomes unusable (broken, &c.) - tradition, or superstition, or something like that. Generally, the fan who "catches" the bat is given another bat from the player, I guess one the player never actually used.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:58 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Here's a screen capture from the Fox broadcast of Rizzo putting the ball in his pocket...

...and here's another one showing the Cubs celebrating. You can clearly see where the ball creates a large, uh, bulge, in Rizzo's back pocket.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:28 PM
Rob

Quote:
McGwire's 70th home run ball went for $3M if I remember right. Todd MacFarlane (did the Spawn comic books among other things) bought it and shouldn't be in any cash crunch, so we probably won't see it come up for sale, but if it did it would struggle to reach 10% of that price now I'm sure.
So, you're saying Rizzo is juicing?
Old 11-06-2016, 08:50 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

If he is, that is not the knob end of a dong-a-long from what I heard about the side affects.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:53 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
...as opposed to John Kruk...
Ouch.

I'm trying to laugh on the inside, but it's tough.