NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-09-2015, 01:04 AM

Default Lineup Card Experts - Need Help, Please.

This is a long shot, but I occasionally see for sale on here (and EBay), the official lineup cards from MLB games played long ago. I am looking for one specifically, June 14,1989, DET @ BOS, either the one given to the ump or posted in the dugout. I am not a scorecard collector, and many folks around here seem to be quite resourceful, so any advice on how I should even begin to look for this? Admittedly, I do not know the life cycle on how these come to market, whether the team releases them from archives or perhaps the umpires hang onto them and dispose/save/sell off etc. I know of one seller who had some 1989 Red Sox cards, and he got them from a former umpire who sold off an old filing cabinet full of them. I've thought of reaching out to the Red Sox, and even Ken Kaiser (the plate umpire on that night), but realistically I'm not expecting much. Anyone have an idea, or know a seller who perhaps has that market cornered and may have this amongst his thousands?
Needle ----> Haystack.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by aphanna25; 06-09-2015 at 01:06 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:46 AM

Default Needle in a haystack

Welcome to net54! I'm sorry, I don't know your first name.

You've posed an interesting question that I believe that I can certainly respond to.
I've always been interested in lineup cards (both umpire and dugout cards) as they are not only EXTREMELY limited, but definitely a genuine piece of a specific game in sports history.

Collecting lineup cards, and to a lesser extent tickets, is an exercise in patience, networking and persistence. I have searched eBay auctions, baseball card shows (now mostly The National Sports Card Convention), online auctions and catalogue auctions. As you mentioned, finding large groups of lineup cards frequently occurs when an umpire surrenders a pile of them all at once and then they finally enter the hobby. In the past, I've stood and poured through huge stacks of lineup cards looking to pull out a significant date that I have earmarked as something to actively look for...

My particular interest in lineup cards is mostly tied to specific interesting milestones related to Nolan Ryan's career. I own perhaps 15-20 of these in my advanced Nolan Ryan collection. Perhaps the most interesting of the group are:
1. The home dugout card (Cleveland Indians) to Nolan Ryan's 324th and final career win on 8/15/93 @ CLE.

2. Both umpire lineup cards (home & visitor) from the famous Ryan/ Robin Ventura fight on 8/4/93 @ TEX. Both Ryan & Ventura have signed these.

3. The home umpire lineup card from 9/8/90 @ TEX. Bo Jackson line drive bloodies Nolan Ryan's mouth & Ryan continues to pitch. Between this photo image and the aforementioned Ryan/ Ventura fight are perhaps the most iconic and popular later career images of Ryan. This one is also signed by Ryan & Bo Jackson.

Undoubtedly the best & most unusual lineup card (home dugout card) that I ever found was one that I actively looked for over a 10 year period of time on eBay.
My wife and I actually attended a Detroit Tigers baseball game at old Tiger Stadium on our very 1st date. Both of us are huge Tigers fans and on this particular day, they trounced the visiting NY Yankees. It provided a great memory and backdrop to our marriage of over 25 years.
Ironically, during a random eBay search I found this dugout card to our 1st date game literally 2 months before we celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary. The seller, who was in the Boston area, had a large group of home dugout cards spanning several years at DET. He had perhaps 75 of these cards listed on eBay, many of which were from games surrounding our game. These obviously originated from a DET clubhouse employee (unknown) as they were all games played at home. I sent an e-mail to the seller asking if they also had the date I was looking for? I even told the seller what the significance was of the date. The seller responded back with a terrific e-mail letting me know that not only did he have the dugout card, but he would be thrilled to sell it to me for $17 delivered!
I recruited my 7 year old daughter to help me incorporate the dugout card into a collage of memories celebrating the beginning of our relationship and marriage. Check it out...

Good luck in your "needle in a haystack" search. The one's that you end up finding are always the most special.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nolan Ryan's last win dugout card.jpg (72.9 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg Scott and Mary 20th anniversary gift.jpg (42.3 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg Scott and Mary 20th anniversary gift-2.jpg (45.0 KB, 122 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 06-09-2015 at 05:00 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:13 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

I also collect line-up cards. Unfortunately they do not appear all that often except as outlined by Scott previously. I have made 2 or 3 large purchases which really jump started my collection. Because they are pretty limited, I think that they tend to stay in collections. I like your idea of being proactive and contacting the Red Sox and Ken Kaiser. Who knows where your search will lead you. I checked my collection and do not have the card for that date. Keep watching eBay and you might get a feel for the sellers who have line-up cards available. Good luck with your search and keep us posted.

Jeff
Old 06-09-2015, 06:34 AM

I also agree with Jeff that contacting the umpire Ken Kaiser might be your best proactive move.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:51 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

BTW Scott...awesome combination of a collectible and a momentous life event!

Jeff
Old 06-09-2015, 06:10 PM

Tremendous story Scott, thanks for sharing. Given how each card is unique I can see the appeal in collecting them, especially since they are hard to come by and can have historical significance, like your Ryan ones.

Some good advice in this thread, so I'll start with the Sox and Kaiser and see where it gets me. Fingers crossed. Thanks, everyone.

Andrew