NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-14-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Here's the ultimate companion piece (for me, anyway...)

I've had the original Willard Mullin Illustration of the Bum for quite some time. A big/beautiful image of the infamous Brooklyn Mascot. But just recently I was lucky enough to find the original Sporting News issue in which this drawing was featured.

Icing on the Cake is that this drawing was used to grace the Cover. Aside from the great Mullin tie-in, the articles within this Sporting News Issue are very intriguing. Among other topics, it discusses Jackie Robinson's thriving career in the minors, and his chances of making the "Big Club". It also discusses the possibility of a 168 Game Regular Season Schedule (which apparently almost came to fruition).

Very interesting reading, and a purely lucky pickup for me
What a tremendous find Mark!

I'm very happy for you my friend. That's quite a rush when you discover a piece like that that enhances your collectible ten fold. Am really pleased that you found that Mark. I can't wait to see how you display the both of them.

I have a sweet Babe Ruth/Lou Darvas original sketch that I've been searching for the Sporting News or the Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper for ten years now with no luck yet. Your post has given me new hope!

Regards, Jimmy
Old 10-14-2011, 06:56 AM

Default I was so happy for Mark that I forgot to post my new pick-up.

Yesterday, I was reminded just how much a true friendship can mean, especially in today's society. How lucky can a guy be, as a very dear friend spoon fed me this fabulous important vintage original TYPE 1 Photo of one of Baseball's greatest moments!

LarsensPERFECTO.jpg
LarsensPERFECTOverso.jpg
Old 10-14-2011, 07:02 AM

These two came out of a local barn --

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carrig .jpg (37.6 KB, 320 views)
Old 10-14-2011, 09:39 AM

I finally picked up this Harmon Killebrew pennant to go along with my Rod Carew from the same time frame. Both of these were tough for me to find so I was happy to track them down. I also picked up this Killebrew button still on the original card which I was happy to get as it is different from the other Killebrew I have from this series.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harmon Pennant.jpg (34.6 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg Carew Banner.jpg (77.3 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg Killebrew button.jpg (27.0 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg KillebrewButtons.jpg (72.4 KB, 304 views)
Old 10-14-2011, 10:34 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Default Cool Bat

My first townball style bat.

Tom C
Old 10-14-2011, 11:43 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwr11 View Post
I finally picked up this Harmon Killebrew pennant to go along with my Rod Carew from the same time frame. Both of these were tough for me to find so I was happy to track them down. I also picked up this Killebrew button still on the original card which I was happy to get as it is different from the other Killebrew I have from this series.
Congrats on finding the Killebrew MVP Pennant! Those are so tough to locate, and it looks like yours is in nice condition. That's a great compliment to the Carew... very difficult to find both in that condition.

Nice acquisitions!
Mark
Old 10-14-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Congrats on finding the Killebrew MVP Pennant! Those are so tough to locate, and it looks like yours is in nice condition. That's a great compliment to the Carew... very difficult to find both in that condition.

Nice acquisitions!
Mark
Thank you! The Carew pennant is in about perfect condition. The Harmon is not perfect but it's pretty nice.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:28 PM
J@RR0D

Wow, great collection of Killebrew buttons. Love the "Killebrew for Govenor". The pennant looks very nice too!
Old 10-14-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmavl View Post
Wow, great collection of Killebrew buttons. Love the "Killebrew for Govenor". The pennant looks very nice too!

Thank you. I love collecting Minnesota Twins and Vikings stuff. With the maker of a lot of these items being from Minnesota (Wincraft) a lot of very cool items were sold either at the stadium or around the state.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:32 PM

Default Don Larsen 1956 Word Series perfect game complimentary piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
Yesterday, I was reminded just how much a true friendship can mean, especially in today's society. How lucky can a guy be, as a very dear friend spoon fed me this fabulous important vintage original TYPE 1 Photo of one of Baseball's greatest moments!

Attachment 47432
Attachment 47433
Hey Jimmy,

Nice pickup! That's a classic image...
I just picked up an excellent complimentary piece to your Don Larsen World Series perfect game photo.

This is an extremely rare Stadium Club pass from Larsen's World Series PG game 5. These are much tougher to find than a World Series ticket to this game, which is readily available. BTW, I've only seen one or two examples of the Stadium Pass to this game through the years. I'm happy to add this pass to the ticket stub that I have to this remarkable game in my no-hitter ticket collection.

I've never posted a scan of my Larsen WS game 5 ticket before. My favorite part of this ticket is the vintage fountain pen inscription on the back written by the patron that attended the event.
The inscription reads:
"Perfect Game" pitched by Don Larsen of the N.Y. Yankees. Mon. Oct. 8- 1956 5th game of Series"

I also included a celebration photo of Larsen and Berra storming off the field after the game.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 10-14-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:59 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhey24 View Post
These two came out of a local barn --

Greg
Great finds. I picked up a bunch of old baseball postcards, and this photo of an 1892 team with a black player. The image is well-composed and it's a very clean albumen, but it's not as crystal-clear as some I have:

1892 Northside team with black player
Old 10-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Matt

Default Pinball Machine...

Guys.............I picked this up last week. It's my first pinball machine and the exterior and the guts are in rough shape, but it has a well preserved playing field with fantastic graphics. It wouldn't be cost effective to refurbish the machine as they're typically not too valuable in working condition, so I'm just going to disassemble the playing field and make it into a wall hanging display piece. I have another one already hanging in my basement and this should look just as cool. The back glass was cool at one time, but a lot of the reverse painted graphics have flaked off. I might tackle that repainted project down the road at some point. Thanks for looking.........Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pinball1.jpg (76.8 KB, 431 views)
File Type: jpg pinball2.jpg (73.3 KB, 428 views)
File Type: jpg pinball3.jpg (81.6 KB, 426 views)
Old 10-15-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzoo View Post
I'm just going to disassemble the playing field and make it into a wall hanging display piece. I have another one already hanging in my basement and this should look just as cool..........Matt
C'mon Matt. Don't tease. Show us the one you already have hanging on the wall dammit!
Old 10-15-2011, 01:03 PM
Matt

Default alright, here it is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
C'mon Matt. Don't tease. Show us the one you already have hanging on the wall dammit!
Ok, here's the other pinball board I have hanging in my basement......Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7787.jpg (71.5 KB, 376 views)
Old 10-15-2011, 03:09 PM

Old 10-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Although you can't "play" with it, I like the one hanging because it takes up so much less space! Very nice!!
Old 10-16-2011, 05:42 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Kzoo looks like you have a really nice sized garage too!!! Any classic cars you'd ever care to post?
Old 10-16-2011, 06:14 AM

So much cool stuff this month -- I love those Twins pennants and the Larsen perfect game tickets.

Matt -- just when I thought I'd seen it all, you come up with a great idea -- using a pinball board as a piece of art on the wall. That looks fantastic, and I have to admit that I too am envious of the size of your garage!

Greg
Old 10-16-2011, 06:44 AM
Matt

Default the garage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
Kzoo looks like you have a really nice sized garage too!!! Any classic cars you'd ever care to post?
Guys............Hey. That 'garage' is actually the back warehouse at our body shop. My Dad does have a few early cars, with two of them from 1911, but that warehouse is generally used more for work related to the shop....however, my Dad is currently using that space while restoring his 1911 Kissel Kar that is in a million pieces. I'll post photos someday next year when it's completed. Thanks for the interest.......Matt
Old 10-16-2011, 07:14 AM
Peter F

Default Anyone Wanna Play?

And I thought I was the only one who appreciated the space in that huge garage. (AND wanted to see the one hanging on the wall already!).

Here's my addition - I owned this game as a kid when my antique-collecting parents bought it for me. Years later we sold it. And then I started to miss it. So I was lucky enough to replace it this month - I wonder how many years will have to go by for me to forget this one is NOT the one I first owned.

Great stuff this month. thanks for looking - peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0982.jpg (74.8 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0984.jpg (76.3 KB, 296 views)
Old 10-16-2011, 08:30 PM
Graig Kreindler

Lovin' this shot of the Scooter that I just received!

BEAUTIFUL light.

Keep it up guys - this month is shaping up to be pretty darn amazing. I'm loving what I'm seeing thus far!

Graig
Old 10-16-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
Lovin' this shot of the Scooter that I just received!

BEAUTIFUL light.

Keep it up guys - this month is shaping up to be pretty darn amazing. I'm loving what I'm seeing thus far!

Graig
Graig,

LOVE the Scooter shot!!
Old 10-19-2011, 08:08 AM

I picked up this signed Notre Dame football at a local auction last weekend. It has 15 autographs on it. In doing a little research I think it is from 1957. I really don't know that much about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1957 Notre Dame ball 1.jpg (76.3 KB, 398 views)
File Type: jpg 1957 Notre Dame ball 2.jpg (75.4 KB, 399 views)
Old 10-20-2011, 05:19 PM
Travis Wise

Default A few new autographs...

I'm not usually an autograph collector, but I have picked up a few recently...

1. George Detore autograph (played 33 games in the majors between 1930-31 and then in the PCL from the late 1930s to the mid 1940s). At the national this year, a smaller autograph authentication company, ACE, was giving out free autographs and my mom happened to pick it up. I had no idea who it was until I looked him up. I'd say hes a tough autograph!

2. Rugger Ardizoia (played in the PCL during the late 1930s and into the 1950s...Also, made a one game appearance during 1947 to pitch for the New York Yankees). I wrote to him and he was gracious enough to mail back a small note talking about playing in the PCL and against the Colored House of David.

3. Bill Holland autographed album page mentioning him as the first black pitcher to pitch at Yankee Stadium. His autograph is a real toughie and I'm glad to have a early Negro Leaguer that also pitched in Cuba during the
1920's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0003.jpg (21.6 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0009.jpg (31.4 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0011.jpg (22.8 KB, 332 views)
Old 10-21-2011, 12:10 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Got these in the mail today!

Old 10-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Mike P.ap

Default August 1911 Baseball Mag w/ Cobb and Shoeless Joe...

Congrats to everyone on this thread for some great items.

I posted pics of the cover of this October pick up in another thread but just today I found this October thread (I'm a newbie!) so I thought I'd post a few of the inside pages of this magazine.

Cobb with his car and his kid. Ty Cobb had a heart? Who knew?!

Shoeless Joe Jackson in his glory!

A great ad for an A's poster for 50c which was quite a bit back in 1911! I'll take 2 please!

These are just 3 pages in this thick magazine. It is filled with history including another ad page for 25c posters of individual players and it lists the players including Matty.

I was thinking of trying to order all 6 and was going to send $2 just to be fair! Hey c'mon, I'm only 100 years too late on the order!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 010.jpg (68.8 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg 011.jpg (66.0 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg 001 (2).jpg (72.3 KB, 271 views)

Last edited by vthobby; 10-21-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowGrove View Post
Great Ruth photo. Wow. My October began with this just arriving in the mail... Now to do some research on the uniform. Wow. (again, for that Ruth photo)
I am fairly sure I once owned a single-player tintype from that team - I'll check it out when I get home and report back. If so, I can tell you what team it is.

(just posting now so I don't forget to check for it)
Old 10-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Mike H.

I've been looking for a catcher figural for a while. This is an early National Baseball Museum and Hall of Fame, Cooperstown, N.Y. souvenir ashtray circa 1939 by K&O Novelties Company. They produced detailed bookends and figurines from gray metal or bronze from 1895 to 1939. Baseball Museum opened to the public in 1938 or 39 and the ashtray would have been a very early piece sold or presented at that time. Although this isn't a particularly large piece, I appreciate the detail and uniqueness of it. I've never seen another.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Dan Brown

Awesome piece Mike...just love those early catcher figures!
Dan
Old 10-23-2011, 05:57 PM

Mike --

That catcher figural is a really cool piece -- as a collector of Hall of Fame souvenirs, I can tell you that I've never seen that piece.

Greg
Old 10-23-2011, 06:26 PM

Default 1938 Goudey Bob Feller Big League Baseball Movies

Many thanks to net54 board member Mike (docpatlv) who sold me this cool Goudey Bob Feller flip book from 1938. As it states on the cover, "Bob Feller puts his hop on a fast one"! Back from when Feller was one of the most popular players in baseball........
Old 10-24-2011, 11:17 AM

Unopened Yoo Hoo bottle (with floating cork) --

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yoo hoo top.jpg (48.3 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg yoo hoo.jpg (71.6 KB, 345 views)
Old 10-25-2011, 08:05 AM

Is that cork or old rotten chocolate flavor?
Old 10-25-2011, 08:44 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by erstevens View Post
Is that cork or old rotten chocolate flavor?
I'm expecting floating cigarettes too!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:55 AM

As long as it's not pieces of Tony Kubek.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:13 PM
Belltown Vintage

removed. sorry for the hiccup

Last edited by Runscott; 10-27-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:47 AM

Default Not vintage, but happy to add it to my collection...

Certainly not prewar, but a great addition to my advanced Nolan Ryan collection.

Trivia question:
What's rarer than a Nolan Ryan game used pitcher bat with provenance?
A game used batting glove with great use and provenance!! I've only seen one that I recall in all the years I've been collecting Ryan.

I just picked up this game used Nolan Ryan batting glove from circa 1982-83. It matches perfectly with photos of him batting while a member of the Houston Astros that I have in my collection. This particular glove came directly from the collection of one of the other most advanced Ryan collectors, where it has resided for many years.

Ryan certainly wasn't much of a hitter in his career, but what I believe makes this batting glove special is where it came from, it's use, the fact that it's vintage signed. The best part of all is it was used on his right hand (throwing hand). It will be a great compliment to the Ryan game used Astros bat that he signed for me the night of the grand opening of The Ryan Center (Nolan Ryan museum in Alvin, TX) in April of 1999.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Belltown Vintage

Scott, I'm glad to see this. I thought I had killed the thread by posting photographs that didn't include HOF'ers.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:17 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Certainly not prewar, but a great addition to my advanced Nolan Ryan collection.

Trivia question:
What's rarer than a Nolan Ryan game used pitcher bat with provenance?
A game used batting glove with great use and provenance!! I've only seen one that I recall in all the years I've been collecting Ryan.

I just picked up this game used Nolan Ryan batting glove from circa 1982-83. It matches perfectly with photos of him batting while a member of the Houston Astros that I have in my collection. This particular glove came directly from the collection of one of the other most advanced Ryan collectors, where it has resided for many years.

Ryan certainly wasn't much of a hitter in his career, but what I believe makes this batting glove special is where it came from, it's use, the fact that it's vintage signed. The best part of all is it was used on his right hand (throwing hand). It will be a great compliment to the Ryan game used Astros bat that he signed for me the night of the grand opening of The Ryan Center (Nolan Ryan museum in Alvin, TX) in April of 1999.
That's a great glove, Scott! Aside form the game-use and epic player provenance, I just love the glove itself. I remember those Saranac Gloves so well, from the old playing days. That was THE brand to use, and they were softer than a baby's butt- fresh out of the package. I imagine that yours is a bit sweat-soaked and stiff from the usage... which is just what you'd want. But there were few things as magical as the feel of a brand new one!
Old 10-27-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Scott, I'm glad to see this. I thought I had killed the thread by posting photographs that didn't include HOF'ers.
Scott,
You certainly didn't kill the thread by posting photos of non-HOF'ers! I personally think it's healthy to mix in some modern classics in addition to everything PreWWII.

I don't frequently get the opportunity to add anything to my Ryan collection these days. Maybe only a small handful per year...
Old 10-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Scott,
You certainly didn't kill the thread by posting photos of non-HOF'ers! I personally think it's healthy to mix in some modern classics in addition to everything PreWWII.

I don't frequently get the opportunity to add anything to my Ryan collection these days. Maybe only a small handful per year...
I definitely wasn't knocking your addition - it's just always been disappointing to me that so few vintage collectors see any value or appeal in non-HOF'er photographs. Anyway, rant over, photos removed - I'll post this sort of thing on my website.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Mike H.

I also appreciate nonHOFers. I appreciate all vintage picees and images...keep em coming fellas
Old 10-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Dan Bretta

1959 Lincoln Chiefs team signed baseball - 15 sigs

Old 10-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Dynarl Broughman

Default Navin Field Chairs

With the help of fellow members was able to get cement morter off the one chair. Thanks! The larger photo is (Briggs) Tiger Stadium and the small photo is Navin Stadium (lower left hand corner).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NAVIN FIELD FOLDING SEATS 003.jpg (75.2 KB, 259 views)
Old 10-27-2011, 05:52 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I thought this 1930s Trolley Car Ad Sign was pretty cool. It's an ad for Wrigley's Double Mint. I'm still trying to figure out why gum would have been used "for emergencies", but liked the Baseball tie-in. The Hack Wilson reference is also cool, as Wrigley's roots have been in Chicago forever....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wrigleys.jpg (62.7 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg wrigleys1.jpg (77.8 KB, 234 views)
Old 10-27-2011, 06:16 PM
Clint

Nice pick up Dan, any notables on the ball?
Old 10-27-2011, 06:33 PM
Dan Bretta

I don't know..I suppose Ira Hutchinson might be difficult to get since he died in 1973...a few other major leaguers (Alan Brice, Joe Horlen). My first 59 team signed ball though...and finding stuff I don't already have is becoming difficult.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:26 PM

Default 1862 Ice Skates

DUTTON'S SHELL GROOVE SKATES
Below is an unusual old pair of ice skates I picked up yesterday on eBay. You may....(or may not)...wonder what would make me buy these...To learn the shocking truth why I bought them click the link above...hint I looked for them twelve years...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Old 10-27-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post
DUTTON'S SHELL GROOVE SKATES
Below is an unusual old pair of ice skates I picked up yesterday on eBay. You may....(or may not)...wonder what would make me buy these...To learn the shocking truth why I bought them click the link above...hint I looked for them twelve years...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Pretty cool Carlton. You are amazing!
Old 10-27-2011, 11:24 PM
Mikeknapp

I have been buying a number of news photos lately. This one came in the mail today. It features spring training, a blonde in a polka dot bikini, Tom Terrific at age 24, and no evidence of steroids or silicone to pollute my two favorite pastimes. What more could a middle aged baseball fan ask for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Type_I_1968_Tom_Seaver.jpg (72.4 KB, 174 views)