NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-08-2013, 08:32 PM

Default 12 ½” Munsing Union Suit Baseball Player Die cut Signs – Out of Halper Collection

photo MunsingBBStitchTitled_zpsa2ccc15d.jpg

Above is sort of a milestone acquisition for me….In the April 1987 Smithsonian magazine Barry Halper’s collection was featured…That was right around the time I was just getting going with sports antiques…Back then I would pour over the photos of his collection often…On the right side of the panoramic shot of Halper’s room you can see the Munsing baseball die cuts prominently displayed…

photo HalperRoomStitch_zps9585f739.jpg

photo cover_zps2c58865b.jpg

The Munsing pieces were sold in the Halper auction in 1999…I never made it to that earth shattering event, it was out of my league for the big dogs…I think the total everything sold for was like $23 million… Now let’s flash forward 25 years to May 2013…

photo 671758736_o_zpsa9af19b5.jpg

photo 671759052_o_zps3635476a.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-SET-4-1...ht_5295wt_1255
I spotted these diecuts on eBay last month….It seemed a little odd they would end up on eBay…But the listing had good clear photos of the Sotheby’s tags still attached to the back identifying them as from the Halper auction. I ended up winning them and received them this last week. I was very nervous they would arrive safely but thank the Lord they got to me fine…the seller did a good job protecting them…Once I get time I wan’t to work them into my collection so they show well…I’m into displaying die cut signs standing up the way they were originally intended, not framed like many collectors do....But for the time being I put them in some plastic sleeves. Net54 member Rhys Yeakley was kind enough to look up what they sold for in the Halper auction….$2,300.00…..I wonder what they would have been priced at if I saw them at the National...

photo BackofTruck_1201x728_zpsa28a619a.jpg

photo REAMunsingBatterListingRedLine_zps8a91d4f3.jpg

The glove is missing on the fielder but I should be able to have it restored…I’m happy to have the same ones pictured in the Smithsonian article…To me they’re kind of iconic to his collection…I found another batter Munsing sign that is part of the set…sold in REA for $464.00 in 2006…In the description was a very interesting comment I was pleased to find…”Several of these rare signs were included in Barry Halper's famed collection and were prominently displayed in his prize showcase. It never ceased to amaze him that among the endless treasures of the Halper Collection, no one ever seemed to forget the Munsing advertising signs.”

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 06-08-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:36 PM
qualitycards

Carlton Fantastic pickup and information.
Always enjoy viewing your posts!
Old 06-08-2013, 09:02 PM
Al

Carlton,
Very nice and great detective work!

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 06-08-2013, 09:02 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Dude,
Those are incredible. How does something that old, big, and fragile survive 83 yrs in that condition? WOW.
I think you should go to jail as you stole them!
Best,
Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 06-09-2013, 02:40 AM

Wow Carlton those are nice...congrats!

Ricky Y
Old 06-09-2013, 05:12 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Yeah those are sweet!
Old 06-09-2013, 06:10 AM
Mike H.

Fantastic Carlton I'm as surprised as you that they ended up on ebay. The seller took a real hit from the original hammer price.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:51 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Very nice! And just goes to show, you never know where things will turn up again. It really is surprising sometimes how you can run across the same items but in different settings, and the results are so drastically different. Congrats on another great pickup!
Old 06-09-2013, 09:20 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Great pick up Carlton. I was the 2nd underbidder. Those are cool looking!!
Old 06-09-2013, 09:51 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Congrats Carlton! Another incredible addition to an already amazing collection.

Is this the same Munsing as in what would later become Munsingwear... best known for the Penguin logo (much like LaCoste, with the Alligator logo?)
Old 06-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Kevin O'Gara

Default goodwin vermont photos

Guys, i picked up the larger doran photo today. also have the opportunity to buy the smaller 5 3/4x41/4 photos on cardboard backing and a pitted type of paper. He has 24 small, and 2 more doran standing with spalding bat and 3 of him catching. Check these out and give me all the opinions on these please.The quality of the photos especially the larger 7 7/8 x almost 9" are remarkable.Doran was a common one from this find and the smaller ones are all different players.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130609_115359.jpg (23.4 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg 20130609_114656.jpg (33.5 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg 20130609_114812.jpg (76.7 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg 20130609_114822.jpg (73.1 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg 20130609_114818.jpg (30.1 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg 20130609_115335.jpg (29.3 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg 20130609_115340.jpg (32.3 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg 20130609_115347.jpg (21.0 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg 20130609_115354.jpg (24.1 KB, 242 views)
Old 06-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Actually, would be better not to hijack Carlton's thread.

Kevin- you ought to start another thread with these to solicit feedback. I don't think they are original photos and were printed later but possibly from original negatives.

Last edited by Leon; 06-09-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:00 PM

Default Thanks all

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Congrats Carlton! Another incredible addition to an already amazing collection.

Is this the same Munsing as in what would later become Munsingwear... best known for the Penguin logo (much like LaCoste, with the Alligator logo?)
http://collections.mnhs.org/MNHistor...04p152-161.pdf
Thanks all for your kind words...Mark, yes Munsing Suits and Munsingwear were the same principle...I found a story on the Munsing concern commisioned by the Minnesota Historical Society, link above and see excerpts below.
 photo MunsingPatented_zps93e4a107.jpg

Old 06-10-2013, 12:09 PM

Default One more try

Somehow that Munsingwear story excerpt above didn't come out too well....hardly readable....I try again....link to the full story below

http://collections.mnhs.org/MNHistor...04p152-161.pdf

photo 1-1_zpsa04015f4.jpg
 photo 2-3_zpsb152a2d2.jpg
 photo 3-3_zpsc2ec7607.jpg
 photo 4-3_zpse62dc399.jpg
 photo 5-3_zps1948589c.jpg

Old 06-12-2013, 01:08 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Interesting price collapse over the years.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-12-2013, 02:00 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Interesting price collapse over the years.
I think 99% of the re-emerging Halper Items have experienced a "price collapse" since that sale. The Sotheby's sale occurred at the peak of the hobby's high prices. And virtually everything in that auction sold for an insanely inflated price... even at the time.

So there was nowhere to go but down (even if the economy didn't tank).

Last edited by perezfan; 06-12-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:22 PM

Default discretion

photo StairListing_zpsb58b0d67.jpg

This was the first Halper piece I’ve seen resurface, or at least paid any attention to…But of course I’m sure out of all those items lots of stuff must have gotten resold. I’m planning to do a feature on the Munsings at some point so have been digging for more of their history. The eBay seller got them out of a brick and mortar auction I had never heard of named Stair Auctioneers and Appraisers of Hudson N.Y. on April 26th 2013...Less than a month before I won them on eBay May 24th 2013…the seller got them for $425.00. So within a month they more than doubled in value…Good for that seller!

I don’t know the criteria to claim a price collapse but I assume one would rely on some basic appraisal science…I think to establish an estimated value of something professional independent appraisers and appraisers for auction houses use simple documented records of past prices realized for the same given item or similar items. I think it’s just a matter or averaging what an item has sold for in the past…But naturally there would be factors like scope and reach of the past auctions which would affect hammer price…that is, the kind of auction, and how hard they beat the drum, or publicized. Naturally, including an item in an auction along with other related items would usually affect the price outcome.

I’m not certain on this but I would speculate appraisers do not include eBay’s finalized prices when estimating values because of the nature of eBay. There are no catalogs or mail out lists to targeted potential bidders which brick and mortars often use, etc. Although eBay is categorized we all know bidders have to wade thru a lot of junk to make a find. Much of the time people just give up and go do something else with their time. Auction house catalogs on the other hand can be much more targeted to specific kinds of bidders and much easier to navigate and find things in.

My Munsings sold for $2,300.00 in the Halper auction in 1999. Fourteen years later they sold for $423.00 in a brick and mortar…they then sold for $898.00 a month later on eBay….And really that’s only because I happened onto and spotted them…Again, the nature of eBay is that it’s so large, serious bidders can miss stuff and a lucky bidder can score big and get a bargain…I emailed the seller I got them from and asked the viewer count, i.e. how many times the listing was viewed, but still waiting to hear back…would be interesting.

Anyone who hunts for stuff on eBay regularly knows you can’t see it all…All kinds of scenarios can prevent you from finding things…seller lists it poorly with wrong key words in the title…wrong category…doesn’t know what it is, how rare it is, out of their element….etc etc….Plus the fact everyone takes breaks….you get busy….you get burned out…you don’t go on for a while…Right now as I write this….there is probably something listed that I would get seriously excited about…but I may never even see it…because eBay is just so big you can’t see it all….

Given all that, in my opinion, to proclaim a price collapse of the Munsings would be a very large and questionable conclusion. From what I’ve read there are ill feelings about faked stuff that was allegedly in the Halper collection….and rightly so. However I would ask what percentage of the collection was misrepresented…I would speculate a small one.

I’m not interested in moving them but if I were…put them in one of the big four….REA, Hunt, Leland’s, or Legendary…where they would be in the right sports memorabilia theater…then if they didn’t do well then talk to me about a price collapse…. And speaking of sound appraisal…see the bottom photo in my initial post of this thread … a single batter from the set sold five years after the Halper auction for $464.00 in REA in 2006…

In closing I would urge discretion when discussing the value of items. Or if you don’t care to use discretion...back up what you say with valid criteria…I say this particularly since I’ve received interest from this thread to buy them even though I disclosed what I paid…

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 06-17-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 06-19-2013, 11:56 AM

Default Munsingware News?

photo MNCover_zpsf6b74225.jpg
 photo ListingDescrption_zps2e3f577a.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_967wt_1001
MUNSINGWEAR NEWS MAGAZINE 1920 AUGUST OUTING NUMBER MINNEAPOLIS
Do you ever buy something off eBay and you don't quite know what you're getting?....I spotted this Munsingware News magazine with a $34.99 BIN or OBO...The listing gave scant little details...not even the number of pages!..For all I know could be about the company picnic..I've never seen one of these before but no way did I think it was worth $34.99...seemed like a $10 or $12 item to me...so I sent a $15.00 offer...couple days went by and last night I got an email my offer expired....WHAT? I thought...so I immediatly shot back a second offer of $16.00....Today I got the "enjoy your Munsingware Magazine" notification...I had to laugh I guess the seller got the message I didn't agree with his $34.99 estimate...Remains to be seen once I get it what exactly I bought...I figured for $16 not worth the time to ask for details, I'll just take a chance.

photo Back-5_zpse0669979.jpg
I think this may be the back cover...who knows

photo Open-1_zps1991d893.jpg
I guess this is the centerfold....Hopefully there are more pages

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 06-19-2013 at 12:11 PM.