NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-11-2012, 06:07 AM
Scott

Default tonight should be FUN on Pawn Stars

This should be fun on tonights Pawn Stars. Not sure if it is the First or Second episode. And here is a recap. NOTE THE BOLD..and u'll see

Pop goes the Pawn Stars when four original paintings by Andy Warhol brush by. Do the guys give these rare works 15 minutes of fame, or just send them back to the factory? Then, a baseball signed by members of the infamous 1919 Chicago Black Sox has Rick and Corey seeing green. Will the guys signal for a steal, or does a tough negotiation knock the price out of the park? And later, a pair of 10k gold sunglasses comes in on the night shift. Can Chumlee and Olivia eye a good deal on these vintage specs, or will the seller have it made in the shade?
Old 06-11-2012, 06:25 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Big question is....Who do they bring in to authenticate it...Do we know who the in-store authenticator is for this season?
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 06-11-2012, 06:40 AM
Banned

well, they tried out a few different people during the run of the show, and settled on drew max.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:42 AM
Scott

They've also been using this Young guy who runs a store near there. Remember the Matty/Ruth bat and glove fiasco that h e REJECTED?

Im psyched to see this thing. it prob comes Pre certified by Morales, prob a CC special.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:53 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

I don't just have a Cert, i've got something better...I have one from a forensic examiner.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

Old 06-11-2012, 07:17 AM
Wayne Walker

Thanks for the heads up, I just set it to record (it's the second episode, FYI).

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 06-11-2012, 07:30 AM

everyone knows it came from coach's corner and about as real as that gehrig jersey
Old 06-11-2012, 09:09 AM

I seen the Gehrig Jersey episode. That turned me off to the show, in my opinion everything on that show is staged.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:11 AM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leerob538 View Post
I seen the Gehrig Jersey episode. That turned me off to the show, in my opinion everything on that show is staged.
It's reality TV. Of course it isn't real.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
It's reality TV. Of course it isn't real.
It's even less real than you might think...I talked to a friend of mine who is an antiques dealer over the weekend and he told me that a friend of his appeared on the show with a ring pistol that he bought at auction in Omaha for around $1800...the Pawn star guys offered him $8,000 and he turned it down...he told my friend it was scripted that way and that we was of course "not crazy"..he would have gladly accepted the offer, but it wasn't a real offer. It took 6 hours to film just his 4 minute segment because of flubbed lines and writers constantly changing up the line and situation. He also had to sign a confidentiality agreement not to discuss any of this, but apparently he hasn't honored that.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:58 AM
Banned

it's not scripted at all. people routinely bring in a 2 million dollar robosaurus car crushing and eating machine on a regular basis to these pawn shops.

Last edited by travrosty; 06-11-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:18 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

I just like to see the different things that show up. I realize that its all a sham. No pawn dealer pays 70% of whats something is worth. They pay 20% at best.

Last edited by mcgwirecom; 06-11-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
I just like to see the different things that show up. I realize that its all a sham. No pawn dealer pays 70% of whats something is worth. They pay 20% at best.
That skeezball Les from Hardcore Pawn is probably closer to reality. A shameless lowballer who offers $20 for a $300 item.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Scott

Now, my little 13 inch TV is having issues w History. Well, it will come on line at show point. tomorrow and Pickers.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

watching it now
Old 06-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Jack Vernon

That's a rather loaded trivia question

Last edited by Seiklis; 06-11-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:04 PM
Wayne Walker

I was hoping for a Joe Jackson auto that can be seen from 20 feet away!

Old 06-11-2012, 09:24 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Drew!!!!!!!......of course it's real.

Last edited by jgmp123; 06-11-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:24 PM

Sigs were good, Rick overpaid. I wouldn't have paid more than $300 for that ball with intentions of "trying" to get maybe $500.

Rhys
Old 06-11-2012, 09:25 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Value of $2k is a pretty big stretch...

Old 06-11-2012, 11:37 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
it's not scripted at all. people routinely bring in a 2 million dollar robosaurus car crushing and eating machine on a regular basis to these pawn shops.
They were also lucky enought to have a Hatfield relic walk into the shop and air just before the premiere of History's Hatfield & McCoy mini series.

Why would those sigs be on a Tony Piet ball? I wonder who else signed it...
Old 06-12-2012, 05:01 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default It was similar to this one

but minus the Lefty Williams sig.

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...px?lotid=34455
Old 06-12-2012, 07:00 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
That skeezball Les from Hardcore Pawn is probably closer to reality. A shameless lowballer who offers $20 for a $300 item.
That show is classic, like watching a train wreck in slo mo. Talk about a graphic example of reasons to stay out of Detroit and pawn shops generally.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-12-2012, 07:54 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

A couple of quick things. First, of course that ball was not a 1919 blacksox ball. Two Hof players that played on that team, one of which was injured during the series, does not make it a blacksox ball. Also, Piet did not play on the Sox until the 30's and I suspect this was signed after his career so you're looking at late 30's early 40's on an unofficial ball. I bring this up more for the ball that Shoeless Moe has a link to in this thread. It's almost identical except for Lefty Williams on it. Am I the only one that's suspect of the Williams sig on that ball? Doesn't make sense that he'd sign it based on when it would have been signed...he was banned from baseball, he should have already stopped barnstorming and probably already moved to California to start his Nursery business. I also doubt he would have been hanging around with Schalk and Faber. Any thoughts?
Old 06-12-2012, 09:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post

His had the lefty williams sig too, if you freeze frame it, its on the lower right of that panel. The pawn stars guys just missed it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ball.jpg (23.5 KB, 277 views)

Last edited by travrosty; 06-12-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:18 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
\
his had the left williams sig too, if you freeze frame it, its on the lower right of that panel.
The fact that they (Rick, Corey, and Drew Max) missed the Lefty sig baffles me...poor execution fellas.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:59 AM
David M.

Anyone else seen Ball Boys? I caught a show this weekend on ABC that I thought seemed a lot like Pawn Stars but with worse actors. So I looked it up and here's the webpage writeup:

From the producers of cable's top rated Pawn Stars, Ball Boys follows the sports memorabilia business at iconic Robbie's 1st Base in Baltimore, MD, and the charming family-like relationships of the sports fanatics who work there - Robbie Sr. and Junior, Sweet Lou and Shaggy. The 12 half-hour episodes will feature the never-before-seen negotiation of buying and selling unique sports merchandise, both at the store and at off-site locations. In addition, numerous sports legends - from football pioneer Jim Brown to baseball great Pete Rose to former NBA star and current ESPN commentator Jalen Rose - stop by the store to join in lively debates, smack talk and comical antics with the staff.

More than just a sports shop, Robbie's 1st Base is like an old school hometown barbershop where everyone has an opinion and is eager to share their stories and love of the game. Touching on the unique capability of sports to bring people together, Ball Boys tells the intriguing stories beyond the action on the field - using the symbolic value of the merchandise changing hands to represent a rare and valuable social bond uniting individuals across all ages, races, genders and economic classes. Never before seen on a broadcast network, both the collectors and the merely curious come to the store from far and wide to experience a shared affinity for the great stories of sport. And when the situation calls, the staff hits the road to buy and sell prized artifacts with some of the top collectors in the nation.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:09 AM

I will admit I did not notice the "Lefty Williams" signature on there. I wouldn't be surprised if on closer inspection it was someone else with a similar name or secretarial or something. His signature is VERY rare for his death date and I have come across at least 5 other minor leaguers/sandlot guys with the nickname "Lefty Williams", including a professional Basketball player from the 1940's. If you were an athlete whi had the last name Williams back then and was left handed there was only one nicknmae you could possibly have! If the ball was indeed signed by THE Lefty Williams it would be worth $2000, but it is impossible to tell from the freeze frame and even harder to spot on a television set. Lefty Williams had large prominant capitol letters that were detached from the rest of his names and I dont see that here even on such a tiny signature and bad picture angle.

If the ball is just signed by Schalk, Faber and Joe Benz (another clean White Sox player that is desirable) and a few other somewhat worthless guys like Nick Etten than $500 max.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Maybe considering the other item the seller had was fake the ball is actually signed by "Righty" Williams.

Regardless, I love those buffoons!
Old 06-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Scott

Just got to watch it, after my tv froze up. How in the Heck did they miss "lefty" williams? Was it real tho? Interesting ball overall, but lots of issues, and no way its worth that much iMO, tho Lefty would bring it up there, IF REAL