NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-16-2012, 09:06 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default T206 "printer's mark" and sheet layouts

Just got this card in the mail today. I noticed the mark when I bid on the item (and full disclosure, I do plan on reselling it). The card measures about 1/32" wider than standard and the back is also mis-aligned (skewed right).

This mark appears to be a 'guide' line for cutting the sheet. The amount of space between the line and the back art is the exact width of a 'properly' centered and cut Piedmont.

Can we assume that Arndt was on the far right of the sheet in the layout? Does anyone else have examples of these lines?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arndt-124.jpg (77.9 KB, 1077 views)
Old 11-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206hound View Post
Can we assume that Arndt was on the far right of the sheet in the layout?
Yes, IMO.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:13 PM

Others. Piedmont with other stuff on the back is Bresnahan, batting. The other one I think is Oldring, fielding. Not 100% sure, sorry about the miscuts in the scan, it is the bottom right of the Sweet Caporal back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0013.jpg (74.3 KB, 1074 views)
File Type: jpg scan0001.jpg (43.0 KB, 1071 views)
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 11-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206hound View Post
Can we assume that Arndt was on the far right of the sheet in the layout? Does anyone else have examples of these lines?
That would be the most likely thing. It's also probably likely that that card was the top right corner.

Steve B
Old 11-16-2012, 10:08 PM
Bruce C@rter

May be top right not just right side.
Looks like we have a match set.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Archive

Hi Er!ck

I follow these crop lines on T206s closely. Arndt is one of the usual suspects when it comes to these crop lines.

There are a handful of other T206 player's cards that also occasionally display them too.

Some even jump to different backs. By that I mean, I own an Arndt with a Sovereign 350 back that has crop line.

So far I've seen these crop lines appear on the following backs.

Sweet Cap. 150
Sweet Cap. 350
Piedmont 150
Piedmont 350
Polar Bear
Sovereign 350

As far as individual players, I know of 15 different players in the set with crop lines.

Jantz

Last edited by Jantz; 11-16-2012 at 11:15 PM. Reason: miscounted
Old 11-17-2012, 02:30 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Nice card Erick, I was watching that one and missed sniping it. Great pickup sir.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:27 AM

Default crops.....

hey guys as you know been chasing crops for years.....i own a few and they are cool novelties, johnnny d got me started on them when i missed his oldring.....ive paid $20- $150.00 for some.....they are more prevalent on some players as jantz has mentioned...i own a sweet ass polar bear one i love, never seen another polar bear, or other back for that matter....id love to see a hindu or something with a crop....but only seen pieds and caps i guess since they were the most common/printed....theoretically all backs should have had them...steve

these are in the catagory/rarity of sheet numbers on sweet cap backs, altho the sheet numbers are a little tuf to come by...

the crops are traditionally found with the "L" shape right angle...prob corners of the sheets....i own a few that are just lines, either guide marks/crop marks to align sheets, or got chopped off themselves...

i love when the pressman misses the mark and creats the sought after miscut backs...

nonetheless, great thread, great little"gems" hidden in the set...i will try to find some of my scans, but im weak with that and not sure if i have any great scans...

ID love to see some MORE

Congrats on the card ERICK.....you are a true t206 "blood-hound" and, btw, i'm sure tons on this board would agree, one of the finest t206/ collectors/guys we have....your friendship and help like a few others i know is priceless bro! thanx for all your help, your a true friend

peace
Old 11-17-2012, 07:47 AM
Jason Stricker

Yes, I've seen a few of these crop marks. Since we're talking about Arndt, thought I'd show one I picked up recently from a fellow board member. In addition to the apparent missing color, there's a small green vertical printer's mark in the top left on the back.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Archive

Just for you Johnny!

Last edited by Jantz; 02-07-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:49 PM

Default Jantz....

Those are beauties!!
Old 11-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Ron Skaggs

Default Demmit

You need to look beyond the paper pull
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img009.jpg (69.5 KB, 681 views)
File Type: jpg demmit.jpg (73.2 KB, 680 views)
Old 11-18-2012, 04:41 PM

Where can I send the $450 to pay for that Demmitt
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 11-18-2012, 05:35 PM
Belltown Vintage

That's the third Demmitt/St. Louis we've seen with that mark.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:34 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

I was thinking the same thing Scott, Wonka has the other one. Very interesting.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:21 PM

Another Arndt with the crop mark just ended on ebay for a great price

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAUTIFUL-19...vip=true&rt=nc
Old 11-19-2012, 02:11 AM
Clayton

Great cards and great information guys-thanks !!!

I also love these cards with the crop marks, or any oddities for that matter. I blame you for this Johnny (hope you are well, by the way).

Jantz- great info, thanks for posting-

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 11-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Does anyone have an Arndt without the print mark??

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-19-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Does anyone have an Arndt without the print mark??
I'm guessing someone had a bad day at the T206 office, failing out of cutting on the line 101. Unfortunately, I have one without the print mark and ebay has tons of them right now
Old 11-19-2012, 12:07 PM

Assuming the cards with these marks were the top and bottom corner cards, does one assume that the cards with the sheet numbers were in the bottom middle? Or do you say pish posh, they could've been anywhere (the card is Durham in case anyone is tracking these too)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0014.jpg (32.0 KB, 582 views)
Old 11-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Archive

z28jd Cards with sheet numbers could also be on the side of a sheet, not just the bottom middle.

Here are two T206s that I own. One has a crop line on the right side and the other has a sheet number on the right side.

Why these two cards interest me is because both have the same player (Rhoades-right arm extended) on the front. Of all the T206s I've seen with either a crop line or a sheet number, this is the only player I've been able to pair up.

Thank you for posting the Durham!

Jantz

Last edited by Jantz; 02-07-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:29 AM

Thanks for posting the sheet number on the side, never saw or heard about one those before! It is interesting that you found a crop mark and a sheet number on the same subject too...
Old 11-20-2012, 10:11 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantz View Post
z28jd Cards with sheet numbers could also be on the side of a sheet, not just the bottom middle.

Here are two T206s that I own. One has a crop line on the right side and the other has a sheet number on the right side.

Jantz
Jantz, that isn't a sheet number on the right side.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Archive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Jantz, that isn't a sheet number on the right side.
Hi Scott

What is it then?

If it is not a sheet number then, is it some form of sheet alignment mark?

After reviewing some other examples, I can see now that maybe it might not be a sheet number since all the other T206s have the number on the botttom of the card.

Since all the examples I've seen have a Sweet Caporal 350 fact. 30 back, it just seemed obvious that it was a sheet number. Now you got me wondering.

Jantz

Last edited by Jantz; 11-20-2012 at 10:59 AM. Reason: .
Old 11-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantz View Post
Hi Scott

What is it then?

If it is not a sheet number then, is it some form of sheet alignment mark?

After reviewing some other examples, I can see now that maybe it might not be a sheet number since all the other T206s have the number on the botttom of the card.

Since all the examples I've seen have a Sweet Caporal 350 fact. 30 back, it just seemed obvious that it was a sheet number. Now you got me wondering.

Jantz
I don't think the similar marks on the bottoms of cards are 'numbers' either. Some of them do look like the top of an '8' or '0', but, on the other hand, at least one I've seen has two such loops (as opposed to one), and we haven't seen any that resemble the top of any other number.

So...I don't know what they are. I would guess some sort of alignment thing.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:21 AM

The bottom ones say 30(like the Durham), as in the factory I assume. The two loops are the top of the 3, top of the 0. I've seen one with a much bigger portion of the number where it is easier to tell
Old 11-20-2012, 11:43 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
The bottom ones say 30(like the Durham), as in the factory I assume. The two loops are the top of the 3, top of the 0. I've seen one with a much bigger portion of the number where it is easier to tell
Okay, I'm with you. Thanks, and here's an example to go along with your explanation:

Last edited by Runscott; 11-30-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:50 AM

Is that the Mathewson portrait? I believe someone here has/had that card with the sheet number
Old 11-20-2012, 11:58 AM
Ted Zanidakis

It's the Factory #......I have seen other such numbers and they always coincide with the Factory # of the given T-brand.

These #'s most likely identify to the printer (at a quick glance) which specific back printing plate they have selected for a
given press run.

Recall, that the fronts have been pre-printed and the various T-brand backs are printed last.

TED Z
Old 11-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

I have seen a factory 25 designation on the the bottom as well and a few with the side mark, which looks more like an alignment marking vs #.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:24 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
I have seen a factory 25 designation on the the bottom as well and a few with the side mark, which looks more like an alignment marking vs #.
Chris

I'm not sure I understand your...."vs #" ?

Perhaps, I should clarify my previous comment........
"It's the Factory #......I have seen other such numbers and they always coincide with the Factory # of the given T-brand.

These #'s most likely identify to the printer (at a quick glance) which specific back printing plate they have selected for a
given press run."

Yes I have seen the #25, also; and, the card it was printed on was a Sweet Cap, Factory #25. Has anyone seen a T206 with any other # which
does NOT coincide with the Factory # on that particular card ? I don't think so.

The lettering on the actual printer's plate(s) of these various Factory's found on American Beauty, Piedmont, and Sweet Cap backs is very tiny;
therefore, each plate identified the given Factory # on the printed sheet with these large numbers along the edge of the sheet. Which made it
easier for jobber at American Lithographic to cut, package, and ship the cards to the appropriate Tobacco Factory.

TED Z
Old 11-20-2012, 01:42 PM

Sounds like he agreed with you/me/Scott, Ted. Then he gave his thought what the side mark meant.

Last edited by z28jd; 11-20-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:43 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Hey Ted, I agree 100% with your posts, it was more to Jantz regarding Scott's comment that the side mark does not appear to be a # but more of marking.

I have not seen a # on anything but SC and no 42 or 649s (not sure if would even exist). I have seen these factory #s on different examples of the same card.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:07 PM
Jason Stricker

Default Odd mark

I've always thought this was a strange print mark - the 'J' above the 'T' in Piedmont. It's the same color ink as the rest of the back. I've posted it once before on Net54 and have never seen another like it. Figured I'd share again.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:19 PM

Default crops/ sheet numbers....

Great input everyone...

I also have rhodes with the "marking" on the side...

The "30" are sheet numbers....there are a few rare examples out there that clearly show it is the top half of "30"(ther is a cobb red port with it clearly "30" visible)...

i have only seen them on sweet cap backs(sheet numbers)....

THE 25's ARE SUPER RARE.....

i would like one.....i have a few "30"s , but no "25" sheet numbers....ANYONE HAVE ONE FOR SALE??

sheet numbers are rare to aquire, but the 25's are the real rare ones....
Old 11-20-2012, 09:11 PM
Archive

Default Maybe I was wrong

I think Scott may have hit on something and maybe it isn't a sheet number like the others.

One reason that I've thought about is that the Rhoades seems to appear more often then the examples with the numbers on the bottom.

Off the top of my head I can think of 5 Rhoades cards with the marks on the side. Johnny & I both own one, 707 Sportcards had one about 3 years ago and two more have sold on Ebay in the last few years.

So if I were to tally all the examples I've seen, Rhoades is out front of the others with a total of 5. Where as Johnson (Port) and Merkle (Port) are tied in second place with only 2 each.

Never seen a 25 sheet number yet, but sure would like to.

J@son I have seen stray lines like on your Ganzel before. Steve B. could probably explain why this occurs better than me. I will try to post up some scans tomorrow and show a few that I have.

Jantz
Old 11-20-2012, 10:10 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Old 11-21-2012, 05:30 AM

Default Chris....

SWEET!!!!

sorry guys about the lack of scans for my cards/crops/sheets right now....i will try to post some over the tg holi....

i hope my merkle scan comes up....this is a sweet sheet #30" i own, and u can see the curl of the "3"....

FOR U JANTZ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merkle_FactStamp (2).jpg (51.0 KB, 486 views)
Old 11-21-2012, 05:32 AM

Default jason...

cool little ink blot!

ps

thanks again tray r for merkle
Old 11-21-2012, 06:25 AM
Jim R

Old 11-21-2012, 08:37 AM
Belltown Vintage

I hate it when Chris shows pictures of his Johnson, and hate it even more when he shows pictures of mine!!!

Jantz - you give me too much credit. I'm sure we had discussed the number at the bottom of the sheet, but my memory is so bad that I had forgotten. Regarding the mark on the side of the Rhoads, I was completely unaware of such a thing.

Ted - why don't you teach me these things before I make a fool of myself?

Scott <=== heading over to T206Resource.Com to take "T206 101"
Old 11-21-2012, 08:51 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

What can I say, I have a large Johnson.....scans folder
Old 11-21-2012, 08:57 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
What can I say, I have a large Johnson.....scans folder
Thanks, now I can never run for public office.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:10 AM
P@trick R.omolo

I have this scan of a Speaker PD 350 with a big crop mark in the top left
and Pete has a nice Speaker PD 350 listed on the BST with a big crop mark
on the upper left side pretty good evidence that Speaker was in the upper
right corner on the Piedmont 350 sheets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speaker (crop).jpg (71.5 KB, 482 views)
File Type: jpg Speaker%20T206%20SGC%2055%20(4.5) - Copy.jpg (68.9 KB, 482 views)
Old 11-16-2014, 11:44 AM
Archive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
I have this scan of a Speaker PD 350 with a big crop mark in the top left
and Pete has a nice Speaker PD 350 listed on the BST with a big crop mark
on the upper left side pretty good evidence that Speaker was in the upper
right corner on the Piedmont 350 sheets.
Hi Pat

Good to see you posting again.

I hate to throw a monkey wrench into the Speaker topic, but here is a Speaker with a crop line in the upper right corner.

Jantz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speaker back crop line.jpg (67.8 KB, 480 views)
File Type: jpg Speaker front crop line.jpg (67.2 KB, 478 views)
Old 11-16-2014, 12:21 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Hi Jantz,

No problem that's good info to have it shows that more than likely speaker was on more than one piedmont 350 sheet or in two different positions on the same sheet. That's what makes trying to figure these sheets out
so complicated ( and a little fun in a challenging way). As we all keep
finding and sharing information we are getting closer on some of these sheets.

I didn't forget I promised you a PB list, as soon as I get it together I will send
it to you.

Patrick
Old 11-16-2014, 12:39 PM
Archive

Possibly Speaker in the corner(s) and McGinley underneath him in one or both columns.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg McGinley Speaker PD 350 25.jpg (74.9 KB, 473 views)
Old 11-16-2014, 12:52 PM

Nice shares. Never saw a crop mark on a Speaker. Got a new target to add
Old 11-28-2014, 01:45 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Default Turner corner crop

Not sure if the guy's that keep track of these have seen this one but I didn't
have it on my list.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img811.jpg (76.9 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg img811 (1).jpg (20.7 KB, 419 views)

Last edited by Pat R; 11-28-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:32 PM

Never saw it. Nice catch there and I assume you picked it up?