NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 05-03-2016, 11:34 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default I do not for one moment believe this 1948 Leaf La Motta was a legitimate sale

This PSA 9 1948 Leaf La Motta went for $7,877.77, allegedly, to a bidder who happens to bid 100% with PWCC. The top bidders' histories: 100% PWCC, 100% PWCC, 100% PWCC, 40% PWCC (5 total bids in 30 days), 64% PWCC (37 bids with six bid retractions on 15 total items), 34% (5 retractions), 100% PWCC. The last legitimate looking bidder bid $700 and was topped at $1,884 by the 34%/5 retraction bidder.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-Leaf-Bo...-/351714365739

While this may be entirely the work of a third party ring of shillers and not eBay or PWCC, in my humble opinion there is such blatant shill bidding and fraud at work on eBay that the next edition of my book will not carry the price guide element. I do not feel I can in good conscience report on prices that derive from transactions I do not believe are legitimate.

If someone wants to step up as one of the bidders who ran up the price to the close or who actually won the card, please give a shout out here and I will happily change this post to reflect it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-03-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:00 PM
Chad

Adam

I was actually thinking of posting on this exact subject. The 1982 Andre The Giant brought 5,200. The PWCC auctions seem to be really unbelievable.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:50 PM
David Peck

The Andre finish was 100% legit. Both top bidders are very active in the Wrestling All Stars market.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:12 AM
Chad

I guess I had no idea wrestling cards brought that kind of money.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:23 AM
David Peck

I was expecting that card to actually potentially go a little higher. The Andre is a pop 3 and the other 2 are locked up in collections. This is probably the most expensive wrestling card and the only other card that would top that is a Hogan PSA 10. There are BGS 9.5's but none would cross and I have yet to see one that would 9. A few would grade a PSA 7 due to top to bottom centering. A Hogan 10 would bring 10k easily and some estimates are as high as 25k.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicker56 View Post
I guess I had no idea wrestling cards brought that kind of money.
Wrestling cards are on the rise in high grade just like other sportscards. I know of both of the high bidders and those were legit bids.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingcardking View Post
Wrestling cards are on the rise in high grade just like other sportscards. I know of both of the high bidders and those were legit bids.
I noticed both of the high bidders bid exactly $5,200.00 on the 1982 Andre The Giant card with last second snipes, so the one that bid seven seconds before the other won the card.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:47 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Which brings us to another point....

The fact that 2 separate and distinct bidders bid the EXACT same amount secretly at the end of an auction raises my antenna. I have had some uneasy feelings about sniping in general. I was bidding on an item that was in the low $300s with 30 seconds or so left. My snipe bid was high at $620. At the very last moment, someone else bid and my final sales price was $618!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!??

Now I was fine in the sense that the bid was UNDER my top all but it was very strange that a card was at $300 one minute and then mysteriously jumped to RIGHT BELOW my limit right at the last few seconds. I was convinced they had hacked my snipe account.

I changed my password that night and have not seen anything near like that since.

Who knows?

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 05-06-2016 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:17 AM
David Peck

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...84.m1435.l2765

What transpired with the Andre is that I was outbid at $4,000 with less than 10 minutes to go. The under bidder had placed a bid for $4,500 to do so. Then placed another bid with less than 30 seconds to go of $5,000. The winner came in with the snipe and the under bidder made one more final attempt with seconds to go of the $5,200. He doesn't use a sniping service and places manual bids.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...p2047675.l2565

You will see a similar situation here with the Kerry Von Erich I recently won. I stewed on it for ten days and determined I was going to go with $2,500 as my max. I put it in with like 30 seconds to go and Ray put his bid in at the exact same time. The card jumped to $2,550 and I was like WTF. I threw another bid in at $3,000 and we were tied. With five seconds to go I put in another bid for the win.

One of the issues with many EBAY auctions is the most serious bidders many times throw in snipes and you aren't the only person that is thinking they must go all out to win the card and boom it launches with seconds to go.