NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-16-2005, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Default Because my wife only pretends to be interested in my cards...

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

...and I've figured out how to post photos, here's some recent acquisitions:

Old 07-16-2005, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ray

...so I have no wife to pretend she's interested.

Here's my newest acquisition.

Those are beautiful cards you've got! I wish I could afford even one of those!

Old 07-16-2005, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

Arrived in the mail today after the latest Heritage auction

Old 07-16-2005, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

Now why do you think your wife would be interested in your cards? Better do like a doctor friend of mine did... he hid $100 bills in his medical books and when he got divorced his wife didn't want anything to do with his medical books during the division of assets....

Perhaps you can keep your ungraded cards between pages of your law books, medical books, engineering books, bowling books, baseball books, music books (etc)....... You'll have to figure out what to do with the encapsulated stuff...

Old 07-17-2005, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

Wow Jeff those are some great cards -- thanks for sharing. I've always loved that Lennox, and that is a beautiful example.

Old 07-17-2005, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Moraine

The moral of the story IS DO NOT make the mistake of getting hitched. IF you do, SIGN A PRENUP. you keep what YOU came into the marriage with (your cards and memorabilia collection) and SHE keeps what she came into the marriage with (her cosmo. magazine collection). Geez guys! I am glad I KNOW what to do, IF I were to get hitched, which I have NO DESIRE to do, anyway. So my collection IS safe and sound from money hungry, grubby paws.

Best regards,

Adam J. Moraine

p.s. smart move on Dr. friend who hid $$$$ in medical books.

edited to reply.... AWESOME CARDS!!!! ESPECIALLY THE PSA 5, T-206 (RED. PORT.) COBB!

Old 07-17-2005, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scott ingold

Adam,

Not all women are $ hungry and greedy. Mine is anything but. Just curious.......your a youngster. No ?

Old 07-17-2005, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Prenups are pretty much a waste of time. If she wants to chanllenge it, she can most likely get it voided. A nice thing in theory, but does work out too well in the real world.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 07-17-2005, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

mine isn't like that at all either. Matter of fact, she thinks it is awesome when I get a card that makes me happy. Part of the pact is happiness.

later

Old 07-17-2005, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

Just had my second anniversary with my wife. I am 29, and have collected for 21 of those years. In the grand scheme of things, baseball cards are temporary trinkets that you can't take with you. I have a belief that marriage is eternal, and I'm glad I have a wife who is considerate towards my HOBBY. IMHO prenups are a recipe for failure, and a refuge for the materialistic. I would rather have a great relationship with my wife and have a modest life, than have a million bucks, a t206 set, and have a crappy relationship with her. THEY ARE ONLY BASEBALL CARDS. By the way, some pretty examples there, I really like the Ramly Steinfeldt.

Old 07-17-2005, 11:35 AM
Administrator

My wife is pretty hands off. She knows how to grade the cards and she's about as tough as I am. She really has no interest in the cards but she knows when I get a nice one in the mail. She pretty much doesn't ask how much I spend and I don't volunteer the information. It's a nice arrangement. I haven't resorted to stuffing hundred dollar bills into professional journals or books and I don't plan to.

I've had the collecting habit since well before I met my wife and she understands my desires to continue on. I figure she must think that collecting cards is better than collecting other "things" on the side. My prior comment was true and it was an attempt at being humorous so I guess I better deliver another one of my disclaimers: If anyone was offended by my previous comment then I apologize.

I don't think that all women are money grubbing gold diggers in fact I would tend to believe the opposite because my gold digging wife found out I owned an aluminum mine (after the fact) and she continues to put up with my BS.

Old 07-17-2005, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

Mine would let me have anything I want if I would just give her a boy.

Ugh

Old 07-17-2005, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

way--and my HUSBAND either hates, or pretends to hate, my collection (even though he loves baseball).

Old 07-17-2005, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott ingold

Every once in a while i get an itch and buy some unopened 75's or 77 box's from Steve @ b-ball exchange. When they come god help me if i open them without my wife to help. She gets a kick out of seeing who she remembers from her early childhood.

Old 07-17-2005, 01:48 PM
Administrator

I apologize if I offended any married men here. However, a "decent" young lady, my age 24, (nearly 25) is EXTREMELY hard to find nowadays.... ESPECIALLY here in Iowa. PLEASE no farm, hick, country living or incest jokes, IF replying to this. I live in the capital of Iowa (Des Moines) pop. over 200,000 residents. I have NEVER lived in the country, I am not a hick, I have never been to, or lived on a farm, and I have never participated in incest. To be more specific.

Best Regards,

Adam J. Moraine

Old 07-17-2005, 02:03 PM
Administrator

I hear they have good corn.

My wife only looks at my cards as dollar signs. She always says "Why don't you sell that. It's just a piece of cardboard."

Old 07-17-2005, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Anson, all she wants is a boy?

Here's one to give her:

Old 07-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

Your wife must be hanging out with my wife.

Old 07-17-2005, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Jeff,
Those are great cards! Congrats! I have a similar 55 Aaron. It has always been one of my favorites.
JimB

Old 07-17-2005, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Johnson, Koufax Greenberg, Kelly, Joe Jackson when he was real young, --if they were good ballplayers. But I also like weird ballplayers if they were good, no matter what they look like.

Old 07-17-2005, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Julie,

Enough teasing me with the n172's Old Hoss', okay?

EVERY women I have ever dated has basically thought I was nuts for collecting pieces of cardboard with posing men on them. One day in Vermont, I went to an antique store (late 1980's) with one of my ex's and while she was looking at crap for the apartment, I purchased three N29's including both Murphy's for $100 (they were $40 each and I even got the unknowing vendor to lower the price) and she looked at me in the car and said: "Don't you have enough of those silly things?".

SILLY THINGS?

A week later, I placed her on waivers. She became an unrestricted free-agent, able to negotiate with any team she wanted.

Update: I traded away the Murphy's during the early part of the nineties for a dozen T205's and last I heard, she married some guy named Quinn who owned an ice cream store in Mass. Man I miss those Murphy's!

DJ

Old 07-17-2005, 04:08 PM
Administrator

If the Matty came along, it would be my boy. Especially the E101 (any word yet, Leon?)

After two girls, I'm already outnumbered. I can't imagine another one.

Old 07-17-2005, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Anson, you're in deep, deep trouble with two girls and the wife. My advice? Build a room in your house to put all your cards in; add a big TV and a lock on the door.

Old 07-17-2005, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Anson -

we appear to be in the same boat - two girls and a wife. mine are young - Im hoping (since the prospects of a boy seem remote) to brainwash one or both of my girls into liking baseball cards. We will see how the experiment goes. As for my wife, well she doesnt mind the collecting. That may have something to do with the fact that we dont discuss how much the cards cost, but I always tell her when Ive sold something for any decent sum of money.

Old 07-17-2005, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Ha, unfortunately I do the same thing. However, she's not stupid. She knows that cards that sell for a lot also can cost a lot. I had to laugh when she saw the Cobb I bought for my set and said "What are you doing spending so much for a card. I bet you spent at least $500 on it." Well, she wasn't wrong. I just gave her a nervous smile.

The kids are young (soon to be 3 and 5) so having vintage cards around them could be dangerous. However, they are quite fond of the circa late-40's, signed Bob Feller photograph on the wall. There is hope.

Old 07-17-2005, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JamesFeagin

My wife has been very understanding despite some initial apprehension. She even goes to shows with me and tries to learn about the hobby. In turn, I don't bat an eye when she spends $100 of scrapbook stuff that will never see the light of day.

James

Old 07-17-2005, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bob donaldson

Adam,

Hang in there. I can't speak for Iowa (I'm from Boston) but I had a hard time finding the right girl at 24. Finally found her at 38. Her wedding present to me was a framed 1941 Life Magazine of Ted Williams which hangs in my office. She gets as excited as I do when a new package arrives in the mail.

Bob

Old 07-17-2005, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Anson,

Mine are 3 and 1. I dont let them around the vintage stuff, but Ive given my 3 year old a few new cards in toploaders to play with - at least she knows they are baseball cards. Its early.

Old 07-17-2005, 09:25 PM
Administrator

First off, while the wife only pretends to be interested in the cards on my first birthday with her while we were just dating she bought me a full-sized Jim Brown signed helmet. A year later she bought me a signed Fran Tarkenton NY Giants helmet. So, while she's not interested, she has never once given me a hard time about this ridiculously expensive habit. Adam, my advice: marry once and marry well.

As for you fellas with the little girls, I can tell you that when my wife was pregnant we soon learned that we were having identical twins. (This was just last year by the way) I prayed and prayed for boys...terrified at the thought of my cards going to some jerk that either one of them would eventually marry (all fathers of girls, I presume, expect their daughters to bring home jerks that are not good enough for them). Anyway, we had an ultrasound at like 13 1/2 weeks which is way too early to learn the sex of your fetus -- but the technician felt strongly that we were to have two boys! I immediatley went wild with the knowledge that my cards would be in safe hands (at least until I kicked I figured). Sure enough, I've got two boys now (less than a year old) and the wife is bombarded by testosterone-fueled maniacs all day (including the dog, another guy in our house). Thtey are already drooling on the slabs...and you all thought that slabs are a waste?

Old 07-17-2005, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Jeff -

You just depressed me - while I of course have thought about all the jerks who wont be good enough for my daughters, I never once thought about them getting their grubby hands on my cards.

You are right about slabs though - pretty much child proof.

Old 07-18-2005, 10:09 AM
Administrator

When My Abby(my precious daughter) was 10 months old, I had taken her to the Bob Feller Museum. Bob posed for a picture, holding her. I later had the photo enlarged to an 8 x 10 photo. Bob later inscribed it..... "To Abby: It was nice having you at my museum" Best Always..... Bob Feller H.O. F. 62, dated april 10, 2004. Abby is holding a baseball in her hands, as well. A gift from Bob, which we still have. I want her to follow into my footsteps, and have as much love and passion for the game of baseball as I do.

Best regards,

Adam J. Moraine

Old 07-18-2005, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Bob Feller will always be considered a class act in my book.

My girls are 3 and 5. Jeff, I have to say that the same thought crossed my mind as well.

Old 07-18-2005, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

And her 1st coach-pitch baseball practice is tomorrow evening. I am as excited as she is. She is a lefty, BTW, with a sweet swing and a split grip I stole from Heilmann and Cobb and taught her with a wiffle ball bat when she was 3. Every time a coach tries to put her hands together or alter her stance I have her hit a couple of bullets through the box.

While my wife has no interest in the hobby, my daughter has her own baseball card collection. And just so's there's no concerns I'm raising a tomboy:

Old 07-18-2005, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: cn

Jeff, I was reading several New York newspapers today and the front page story of the NY Post is a story about an infamous criminal whose father was probably the most notorious Mobster in the last 50 years and his attorney is Jeffrey Lichtman. I know this is way off topic but when I saw the name I was just wondering if this is the same Jeff Lichtman that contributes to this board.

Old 07-18-2005, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

My wife of 34 years (we married young) will be accompanying me to Chicago but has absolutely zero interest in attending any of the shows any day, nor the Forum 54 Dinner. She will be going to museums, exhibits and cultural events and do some serious shopping. We will meet up each day for supper but she is excited about going to Wrigley and seeing the Cubs. She likes baseball (unlike her husband who is a former ballplayer and eats, sleeps and breathes THE game). I still read the boxscores every single morning to see how the Twins did.
She tolerates my hobby and obsession. She has a general idea of how much my collection is worth and I try to finance new card deals by using profit derived from sale of cards I own, rather than dipping in to our checking, savings or other accounts. She humors me because she knows it keeps me off the streets, out of bars, etc. which is the primary destination of most criminal attorneys

Old 07-18-2005, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Griggs

My wife just bought me a Speaker PSA5 T3, for our anniversary. I have no idea what to get her as usual!

Old 07-18-2005, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Cn, that's me, alright. Trial starts in two weeks so I may be absent from this forum for a while....

Old 07-19-2005, 12:13 AM
Administrator

sniff...

Old 07-19-2005, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Paul - YOU are one lucky guy!

Old 07-19-2005, 08:58 AM
Administrator

It's certainly one of my favorite Speaker cards now. Judge, yes I'm pretty lucky. Has anybody out there had a significant other buy cards for them?

Old 07-19-2005, 09:46 AM
Administrator

for my birthday once...he asked what I wanted for $35, so I told him (this was obviously a while back!)

Old 07-19-2005, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

my parents surprised me with an N43 I needed.

edited to say:

When we were both looking at turning 40, my wife and I made a deal not to buy each other gifts for birthdays, except little sentimental-type stuff.

Old 07-19-2005, 11:10 AM
Administrator

When my wife asked me what I wanted for a Xmas gift, I suggested a card - she scoffed at me and said something to the effect of "yeah right."

Old 07-19-2005, 12:09 PM
Administrator

My wife "scoffed" at me many times in the past. I think I just wore her down with my persistence!

Old 07-19-2005, 05:47 PM
Administrator

My wife has never bought me a baseball card. About 20+ years ago my brother (who has no interest in baseball cards) bought me an N28 Mulvey and N162 Dunlap (from Lew Lipset) for my birthday. The odd part is that I didn't even tell him that I wanted those items. He just did it. I still have those cards and will probably never part with them.