NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > Pre-WWII cards (E, D, M, W, etc..) B/S/T

Old 07-01-2006, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Default Theres gotta be a Ruth Rookie out there somewhere

Posted By: daryle

Still looking for a Babe Ruth Rookie in lower/mid-grade. If you have one for sale or know where one maybe for sale..let me know.

Old 07-02-2006, 03:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

i think you'd have better luck finding that needle in the haystack right about now... my guess bet would be the big auction houses, but expect to pay through the nose if they is one listed...

Old 07-02-2006, 08:19 AM
Administrator

I know. Worth a shot though. I bid on the one in last Saturdays Sotheby's auction but missed out. Oh Well, anybody have any leads let me know.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:18 AM
Administrator

With the National coming up I know some of you guys will be there. Since I won't be making it can I get some help in finding this card? If you anyone finds a Ruth Rookie in the condition I stated (Gd up to Vg or so with no tears, holes, rips, writing on front..writing on back is OK as long as it is not too much....creasing OK if not too too heavy or on Ruths' face..preferrably graded by SGC or PSA) and wouldn't mind contacting me please respond. I will give you my home phone number and cell number. call from the show or just contact me after the show. My email address is available on the forum. Just let me know the seller and his information I will contact them personally. Thanks in advance and any help will be greatly appreciated........daryle

Old 07-10-2006, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

Daryle,

There are 1 or sometimes 2 Ruth Rookie cards in every major auction. It just takes a little patience and being the high bidder. It's not a particularly rare card, compared to many other vintage cards.

Old 07-10-2006, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the input Andy. I would rather make it a private sell to avoid the auction process if possible (and to avoid all the premiums,etc...) I figure it will come down to an auction but hopefully not.

Old 07-10-2006, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

The last blank back Ruth rookie sold for $15,600 in the Sotheby auction. That one was graded VG.

So if you were willing to pay approximately $17,000, you might have won that one (assuming of course the winner would not have placed another bid).

Old 07-10-2006, 02:25 PM
Administrator

The last one in Sothebys auction was really nice except for the pencil erasure on back. I bid what I thought the card was worth but lost out. Didn't think it would go that high. Was surprised, and so was SCP Auctions. I spoke with a rep of theirs after the auction and he said he never thought that it would go that high. He felt it would go for a little more than the estimate ($6000-$8000) but not that much. Anyway, I feel I can find one at a cheaper price. Just have to be patient. Still, any help will in finding an example for a private sale will be appreciated.

Old 07-10-2006, 03:42 PM
Administrator

One year ago in the April 2005 Robert Edwards auction, a SGC 40 Ruth rookie sold for right around $14,000. It seems that prices have gone up for this card in the past year.

Good luck with your search.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

"There are 1 or sometimes 2 Ruth Rookie cards in every major auction."

Really? I have only seen 3 available in low to mid-grade in the last year and a half. The two previously mentioned at auction and a third on the bst a couple of months back. All were graded VG 3's by either PSA or SGC.

4/05 REA = $14k
5/06 bst = was going to sell in the $16k area, but the seller changed his mind
6/06 Sotheby's = $15.6k

Sounds like current market on a VG is 15-16k, so if you are holding out to find one for $10k, you might be waiting for a while.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

10k was probably a fair price before andy's sold for what i thought was a bloated 14k in REA last year (congrats to andy). this year the 15.6k in scp is a fair price i thought. i don't think you will get a sniff at 10k these days, need to offer something STOOPID (tm dan ) to get the card to surface.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Are congratulations in order for Quan?

I know you have been searching for a little while so if you did win it congrats!

Old 07-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

Quan - I know that if both of us were not so poor right now, we would have made a more serious run at the scp one. Timing is everything.

That being said, if a Ruth rookie has only appreciated 11% in a year (14k to 15.6k), that's not much. Put 14k in caramels a year ago and you have 30k+ in the bank today.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

wes...couldn't afford it with all the BP and the tax etc. card is off my oriental's most wanted list for now.

rman ur right, i thought the 14k paid last year was high. the 15.6k paid this year is probably more in-line with what the card is worth. obviously the 1910's caramels in the same time period have done nicely, and anything with cobb/wagner/plank even more so. i'm just glad i collect what i love so i don't mind the 100-200% returns