NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-04-2023, 05:56 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Dave F. Wow.
I think he is wrong on saying he is linked as a Shill Bidder for Mastro...to my knowledge that is Not True.
Old 05-04-2023, 06:11 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
I like that they call out the people that everyone gets upset if you observe their deeds. Their enemies have a really hard time citing specific instances of their claims to fact being actually wrong.

But this is a good example of why SCR is so immature and insufferable at the same time at the 9 minute mark.

“I’ll tell you something right now, if this guy ever approached me at a card show or anywhere else, he’d get dealt with real quick [cuts to video clip of 2 men shooting sub machine guns into a store]”

Really? Death threats? Hard to claim the moral high ground while implying you’ll shoot everyone.

Last edited by G1911; 05-04-2023 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo
Old 05-04-2023, 06:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I like that they call out the people that everyone gets upset if you observe their deeds. Their enemies have a really hard time citing specific instances of their claims to fact being actually wrong.

But this is a good example of why SCR is so immature and insufferable at the same time at the 9 minute mark.

“I’ll tell you something right now, if this guy ever approached me at a card show or anywhere else, he’d get dealt with real quick [cuts to video clip of 2 men shooting sub machine guns into a store]”

Really? Death threats? Hard to claim the moral high ground while implying you’ll shoot everyone.
A calmer, restrained version of SCR could be a good thing, but it's not in the cards, pun intended.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-04-2023, 06:31 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
I think he is wrong on saying he is linked as a Shill Bidder for Mastro...to my knowledge that is Not True.
It's been too long to remember the details, but:

"Under claims of violations involving the Illinois Consumer Fraud Act, Forman now says Mastro made unauthorized bids to raise prices during its auctions using Forman’s account as well as those of other, unnamed individuals." (https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...-counter-suit/)

Seems that Forman's name was out there, but Forman alleged that Mastro used Foreman's account without his knowing to place said shill bids when he filed his suit against Mastro.
Old 05-04-2023, 06:43 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
It's been too long to remember the details, but:

"Under claims of violations involving the Illinois Consumer Fraud Act, Forman now says Mastro made unauthorized bids to raise prices during its auctions using Forman’s account as well as those of other, unnamed individuals." (https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...-counter-suit/)

Seems that Forman's name was out there, but Forman alleged that Mastro used Foreman's account without his knowing to place said shill bids when he filed his suit against Mastro.
That's the way I remember it...allegedly he used Forman's bidder number without his consent.
Old 05-04-2023, 07:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
That's the way I remember it...allegedly he used Forman's bidder number without his consent.
Yes... allegedly

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-04-2023, 07:26 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I was corrected by the evidentiary record (because, of course, there is an actual reality outside of what I think or recall). Only shilling Steve's lots, so clearly not the houses using bidders accounts without their cognizance. The house would shill things not owned by the hijacked accounts family members.

https://haulsofshame.com/blog/wp-con...l-bid-list.pdf
Old 05-04-2023, 07:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

Steve being Steve Forman.

Old 05-04-2023, 07:41 PM
James

Default wtf

Just when I thought it would be difficult to get more cynical, a thread like this reminds me to hold my beer. Intelligent people actually have to spend time arguing with any adult -- presumably capable of critical thinking and accepting of other norms like the merits of pissing into a urinal instead of the floor -- that knowingly selling trimmed cards without disclosure is both acceptable and legal? At some point you walk past the land of "hey, we can all have differences of opinion" and enter into familiar territory of good old fashioned idiocy.

Last edited by griffon512; 05-05-2023 at 05:34 AM.
Old 05-05-2023, 01:23 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Let's be clear. There is no difference of "opinion" about the Mastro case. What there is, is blatant and disingenuous misrepresentation of the factual record, even in the face of the operative documents.
I agree. Someone here is blatantly and disingenuously misrepresenting the factual record of the Mastro case to make it appear as though he was convicted of fraud for trimming and selling the Wagner when that simply isn't true. He keeps pointing to the indictment and a rejected plea deal as if those are the same thing. It's not. He also continues to imply that the mail fraud charge that Mastro was convicted of corresponded to the trimmed Wagner, even though he knows full well that it did not. The Wagner was sold directly, in person, to Jim Copeland in 1987 as a cash deal. It was not mailed, and couldn't possibly be considered mail fraud.

No one has ever, to our knowledge, been convicted of fraud (or any other charges for that matter) for trimming and selling cards. It is what it is, and pretending as if that's not the reality we all live in is not helpful. It is just wishful thinking.

Let's get one thing straight though, since some here wish to put words in my mouth that don't belong there. I do not condone trimming cards. As I have said repeatedly, I think it is unethical and a shitty thing to do.
Old 05-05-2023, 08:14 AM
Peter Spaeth

I see you've now backed off your claim that the Wagner was only something "brought up later." Progress.

Mastronet sold the Wagner in 2000.
http://www.t206museum.com/page/periodical_3.html

In any event, the indictment is not charging him with fraud in connection with the sale to Copeland, it's talking about Mastro Auctions marketing materials which allegedly misrepresented or concealed material facts about the Wagner. Was it a weak claim, could he have prevailed at trial? Maybe so. My only point is that the assertion was made here that the Mastro case did not involve a charge concerning the Wagner and I posted relevant documents to show that it did. Again, it was not the focus of the case, for sure.

And how do you think he was sentenced if he didn't plead guilty? Yes, initially the judge rejected the parties' sentencing proposal, that doesn't mean the substance of the plea agreement was abrogated. You can't sentence someone without a guilty plea or verdict. That's why the official press release from the government continues to refer to the substance of the plea agreement. Or maybe a new one saying the same substantive things was substituted, I would have to check the docket, but it's irrelevant.

I have never claimed the Wagner was a factor in the length of the sentence. I would have to go back and see if the record reflects that one way or the other (and I doubt it was a factor) but it's unimportant to my point.

And you still are ducking MY question, which is why, if there is no conceivable crime for selling an altered card without disclosure, did the FBI investigate for several years, issue scads of subpoenas, etc.?

That is all.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-05-2023 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-05-2023, 08:17 AM
James M.

Out of curiosity, because this thread has me thinking; what is the consensus on cutting cards from a vintage uncut sheet? I'm positive that it has been done in the past, but is it widely accepted and condoned? Or is the general consensus, leave history (the cards) as it is?

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 05-05-2023, 08:46 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Out of curiosity, because this thread has me thinking; what is the consensus on cutting cards from a vintage uncut sheet? I'm positive that it has been done in the past, but is it widely accepted and condoned? Or is the general consensus, leave history (the cards) as it is?
It's done all the time. There are countless sheet cut cards out there. I believe the general consensus is that sheet cut cards should only receive an authentic rating, and I believe the major TPGs will not officially give a number grade to a card they find is sheet cut (but see exception with SGC and T204 Ramlys recently), but I can't speak for anyone but myself really.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-05-2023 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-05-2023, 08:49 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:

Those guys give off serious “i was picked on a lot as a kid, but I’ll show them” vibes. Too bad the good they do is so catastrophically overshadowed by what asshats they are.
Old 05-05-2023, 08:51 AM
Ben North

Quote:
This is not my opinion but what I have actually done and continue to do. I have posted many times I have cut up a LOT of full sheets. I also make it clear when I sell those cards they are sheet cut.

What I have noticed is that even though I say when I sell sheet cut card or cards I know or believe to be altered when the buyer resells them they ALWAYS forget to note the card(s) are altered/sheet cut.
Old 05-05-2023, 08:55 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
This is not my opinion but what I have actually done and continue to do. I have posted many times I have cut up a LOT of full sheets. I also make it clear when I sell those cards they are sheet cut.

What I have noticed is that even though I say when I sell sheet cut card or cards I know or believe to be altered when the buyer resells them they ALWAYS forget to note the card(s) are altered/sheet cut.
You can only control your own sale.

Old 05-05-2023, 09:01 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
My guess is most people think it's fine for strip cards and cereal boxes and the like but not so much for a regular Topps sheet or Goudey sheet. The more interesting question to me is the hypothetical scenario in which one comes into possession of both an original uncut sheet from the factory and the original paper cutting machinery used at the factory so that they are capable of creating genuine fresh factory-cut cards from their uncut sheet.
Old 05-05-2023, 09:13 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
My guess is most people think it's fine for strip cards and cereal boxes and the like but not so much for a regular Topps sheet or Goudey sheet. The more interesting question to me is the hypothetical scenario in which one comes into possession of both an original uncut sheet from the factory and the original paper cutting machinery used at the factory so that they are capable of creating genuine fresh factory-cut cards from their uncut sheet.
I would not consider those legit, I guess. Since we're talking hypotheticals, suppose someone found Goudey sheets and the original cutting machinery stashed away somewhere tomorrow. Hard for me to accept that a card cut in 2023 should be regarded the same as a 1930s card. Would it have value, of course, but the circumstances should be disclosed. And if that's the case, via Socratic method I think one reaches the same conclusion for any subsequent cut.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-05-2023 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-05-2023, 09:33 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Anyone can buy the same cutters used at the factory. I can't remember who because it was a long time ago but someone did actually buy the actual blades used from one of the major manufacturers before.
Old 05-05-2023, 09:36 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Anyone can buy the same cutters used at the factory. I can't remember who because it was a long time ago but someone did actually buy the actual blades used from one of the major manufacturers before.
I've seen that claim too, maybe the claim was that he bought it out of a Topps auction or something. I think it was one of the guys named on Blowout in "the scandal."

Old 05-05-2023, 09:46 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
I would not consider those legit, I guess. Since we're talking hypotheticals, suppose someone found Goudey sheets and the original cutting machinery stashed away somewhere tomorrow. Hard for me to accept that a card cut in 2023 should be regarded the same as a 1930s card. Would it have value, of course, but the circumstances should be disclosed. And if that's the case, via Socratic method I think one reaches the same conclusion for any subsequent cut.
I guess then the question is whether the problem is that the cutter wasn't an employee of the factory or that not enough time has elapsed since the cards were factory cut -- in which case the question is how many years would have to elapse after the cut before the cards would be considered legitimate. Or is it that too much time elapsed between printing and cutting, in which case the question is how many hours or months or years or whatever would have been okay?
Old 05-05-2023, 09:51 AM
Ben North

Quote:
I've seen that claim too, maybe the claim was that he bought it out of a Topps auction or something. I think it was one of the guys named on Blowout in "the scandal."
This was many years ago I heard about the blades. What most can't seem to comprehend is printing cards is just a crap low paying job with equipment anyone can buy or use with very little training. It is far from anything special or restricted in any way shape or form. I have many friends/relatives that actually worked for one of the major card companies for many years.
Old 05-05-2023, 09:51 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
There's a whole range of sizes, and yes, most are readily available, even back to the early 1900's Some small shops probably still use cutters that old.

The place I worked for had a foot press that cut round corners that was made around 1910. And the leather guy I shared a shop with for a while had a similar press.
Paper cutters are readily available, but ones like the factories used aren't small. They'd fit pretty well in a garage, though.
Old 05-05-2023, 10:06 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
And you still are ducking MY question, which is why, if there is no conceivable crime for selling an altered card without disclosure, did the FBI investigate for several years, issue scads of subpoenas, etc.?

That is all.
Sorry, I intended to address your question earlier, but got sidetracked. I will concede that someone at the FBI (Brusokas?) clearly shares your view that this behavior amounts to fraud, or they wouldn't have even bothered pursuing it.

My argument since the beginning though was that they would eventually discover that their views are not shared by the majority. I forget who it was, but one of the larger hobby content creators recently shared that they ran a poll with their audience and were shocked to learn that 30% of their followers thought it was perfectly acceptable behavior and saw nothing wrong with it whatsoever. And those are people *in this hobby*. Add in the percentage of collectors who are on the fence about it, and those who think it's unethical but not criminal, and then extrapolate that data to people *outside* the hobby, and it becomes quite clear that getting a jury to buy your argument and actually convict someone of fraud is an uphill battle.
Old 05-05-2023, 10:11 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
It's no different from trimming if not disclosed. This is how the majority of vintage PSA 10s were born. And I agree with Mathis in that this is also likely where Fogel's black diamond PSA 10 52T Mantle came from.
Old 05-05-2023, 10:16 AM
Eric Perry

Much of the non-Mastro conversation in this thread sounds familiar.

Discussions about card doctors and the alterations they perform (and, by extension, the altered cards) seem similar to late '90s conversations regarding PEDs.

Fans were excited, nearly everyone was making money, and some players were able to have (or continue) careers they otherwise wouldn't. To those who cared to look a bit more deeply, though, it was clear something was wrong.

At the time, baseballs were soaring over the outfield walls with alarming regularity. It was normal, even acceptable, to a large portion of baseball fans. However, there was ample evidence some of the players were cheating to gain an edge. Among other things, their bodies exhibited traits (such as an increased head size) that simply wouldn't occur naturally.

The long-term impact to the sport still isn't fully known. Steroid use continues to be a relevant (and divisive, at times) issue.

That sure sounds familiar. Let me try something.

Collectors were excited, nearly everyone was making money, and some dealers were able to have (or continue) careers they otherwise wouldn't. To those who cared to look a bit more deeply, though, it was clear something was wrong.

At the time, vintage cards were getting high grades from the TPGs with alarming regularity. It was normal, even acceptable, to a large portion of baseball card collectors. However, there was ample evidence some of the submitters were cheating to gain an edge. Among other things, their cards exhibited traits (such as a decrease in size) that simply wouldn't occur naturally.

The long-term impact to the hobby still isn't fully known. Card doctoring continues to be a relevant (and divisive, at times) issue.

Uncanny, isn't it?

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 05-05-2023, 10:26 AM
Jamie

For what it is worth a Ringer Podcast Called Sport Cards Nonsense interviewed Evan yesterday. It is about 15 minutes generally at the start of the podcast.

The hosts are not genially vintage guys.

Last edited by Schlesinj; 05-05-2023 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-05-2023, 10:26 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post

Collectors were excited, nearly everyone was making money,
^ The only part that matters. If it pays, it's fine!
Old 05-05-2023, 10:33 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Sorry, I intended to address your question earlier, but got sidetracked. I will concede that someone at the FBI (Brusokas?) clearly shares your view that this behavior amounts to fraud, or they wouldn't have even bothered pursuing it.

My argument since the beginning though was that they would eventually discover that their views are not shared by the majority. I forget who it was, but one of the larger hobby content creators recently shared that they ran a poll with their audience and were shocked to learn that 30% of their followers thought it was perfectly acceptable behavior and saw nothing wrong with it whatsoever. And those are people *in this hobby*. Add in the percentage of collectors who are on the fence about it, and those who think it's unethical but not criminal, and then extrapolate that data to people *outside* the hobby, and it becomes quite clear that getting a jury to buy your argument and actually convict someone of fraud is an uphill battle.
Well I have no special insight into the government but my supposition is that the US Attorney thought they didn't have enough ADMISSIBLE evidence to guarantee a win, rather than that too many people on a jury would not see the problem. But I don't know. Again, though, if it's so OK, why does nobody disclose it? Why do they all, other than Mathis, deny it?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-05-2023 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-05-2023, 10:34 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Selling a sheet cut card cut by a scammer years later without disclosure is also fraud. If it wasn't material, there would be no reason not to cop to it when selling - and yet they rarely do.

Like trimming, I think it's bad. Ruining items for profit is not the act of a collector but a profiteer. It sucks when it turns out the cool miscut on eBay one buys was actually made by some asshole at home.

It sucks more when they are historical sheets, unique or nearly unique and instructive about the history and process of the card creation. A majority of T card uncut material that survived into the profiteer era has already been destroyed or further cut up (T204, the alleged Wagner/Plank panel, T25 panels, etc.). The interest of profiteers and hobbyists is fundamentally opposed here. The tiny bits remaining are only protected, at most, until their owners pass and the sheets sell to be destroyed. It really sucks when history is destroyed for a few bucks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0166.jpg (197.5 KB, 186 views)
Old 05-05-2023, 11:46 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Again, though, if it's so OK, why does nobody disclose it? Why do they all, other than Mathis, deny it?
The same reason you don't see hardly anyone else here and on Blowout voicing their opinion despite a large percentage of collectors saying they see nothing wrong with it in anonymous polls. They see the public outlash and don't want that pointed in their direction. Hell, just look no further than this very thread to see people calling me names and accusing me being a trimmer despite the fact that I've made it very clear multiple times that I do not condone this activity and consider it unethical.

What's interesting though is that in other hobbies, alterations and restorations are disclosed with pride. In the casino chip collecting world, the words "cleaned and oiled" will often even result in a slightly higher price than chips which haven't been restored.
Old 05-05-2023, 11:50 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
The same reason you don't see hardly anyone else here and on Blowout voicing their opinion despite a large percentage of collectors saying they see nothing wrong with it in anonymous polls. They see the public outlash and don't want that pointed in their direction. Hell, just look no further than this very thread to see people calling me names and accusing me being a trimmer despite the fact that I've made it very clear multiple times that I do not condone this activity and consider it unethical.

What's interesting though is that in other hobbies, alterations and restorations are disclosed with pride. In the casino chip collecting world, the words "cleaned and oiled" will often even result in a slightly higher price than chips which haven't been restored.
I know nothing about cleaning or oiling casino chips, but trimming -- actually removing part of an original item -- seems to me in a different category altogether. In any event, at least historically, most alterations have been viewed negatively by most people with respect to sportscards. People prefer to differentiate cards by how well they have withstood the rigors of time, not by the skill of the card doctor.

Old 05-05-2023, 11:58 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

A large public outlash would very strongly suggest that alteration is material. Yes, it is the scammers who are the victim when people say they should be held accountable for their frauds .
Old 05-05-2023, 12:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
A large public outlash would very strongly suggest that alteration is material. Yes, it is the scammers who are the victim when people say they should be held accountable for their frauds .
It's extraordinarily hard for me to believe that if you took, just for example, a PSA 8 mid 60s Mantle and sold it alongside another of the same card and grade but disclosed it had been trimmed, there would not be a significant price disparity.

Old 05-05-2023, 12:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Mathis on the interview circuit now. I haven't listened to it but it's been summarized as a lot of rationalization.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6Ql...SvWU4XRkF4DQGg

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-05-2023 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-05-2023, 12:39 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
It's extraordinarily hard for me to believe that if you took, just for example, a PSA 8 mid 60s Mantle and sold it alongside another of the same card and grade but disclosed it had been trimmed, there would not be a significant price disparity.
It’s extraordinarily hard for anyone who isn’t a shill for the fraudsters to understand, because it is obviously and completely false. It only makes sense when one has a vested interest in supporting fraud and must conclude this.
Old 05-05-2023, 12:52 PM
James M.

Quote:
Selling a sheet cut card cut by a scammer years later without disclosure is also fraud. If it wasn't material, there would be no reason not to cop to it when selling - and yet they rarely do.

Like trimming, I think it's bad. Ruining items for profit is not the act of a collector but a profiteer. It sucks when it turns out the cool miscut on eBay one buys was actually made by some asshole at home.

It sucks more when they are historical sheets, unique or nearly unique and instructive about the history and process of the card creation. A majority of T card uncut material that survived into the profiteer era has already been destroyed or further cut up (T204, the alleged Wagner/Plank panel, T25 panels, etc.). The interest of profiteers and hobbyists is fundamentally opposed here. The tiny bits remaining are only protected, at most, until their owners pass and the sheets sell to be destroyed. It really sucks when history is destroyed for a few bucks.

I'm vaguely familiar with the Wagner/Plank Sheet, but do you have a link to the post that summarizes this story. Also correct me if I'm wrong, did Rosen ever find an uncut sheet of 52 topps and then cut them himself? I can't remember. Thank you,

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 05-05-2023, 12:56 PM
Glyn Parson

I quit reading at some point but could someone please tell this idiot that not everything is an opinion. a fact is not a god damn opinion you f’ing moron.
Old 05-05-2023, 01:13 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
I'm vaguely familiar with the Wagner/Plank Sheet, but do you have a link to the post that summarizes this story. Also correct me if I'm wrong, did Rosen ever find an uncut sheet of 52 topps and then cut them himself? I can't remember. Thank you,
https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...ard-doctoring/
Old 05-05-2023, 01:29 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
I quit reading at some point but could someone please tell this idiot that not everything is an opinion. a fact is not a god damn opinion you f’ing moron.
I tried to do that Glyn, what Bill was accused of is laid out right in the indictment, so denying it is not a matter of somehow having a different opinion, it's just wrong on the facts.

The definition of fraud, and mail and wire fraud, is also a matter of fact.

Of course, when one asks whether it SHOULD be applied to prosecute card doctoring, then one is in the realm of opinion.

Old 05-05-2023, 03:01 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
The Wagner/Plank sheet is a part of hobby myth at this point. Pat made a great thread to try and peer through he mist to see what could be actually ascertained not too long ago, as if the questions of this sheet could be resolved it would be immensely valuable to research projects about the printing and layouts: https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...6+Wagner+sheet. This thread has a lot of good questions, contains what is known (alongside some digressions into other uncut sheets like the T204 Ramly sheet that was destroyed), and a lot of myth, conspiracy theories that the cards are outright fakes, and in some parts outright demonstrable lies about the sourcing of material. Michael O'Keefe's book "The Card" presents Rob Lifson's view of the Wagner and Plank cards and their discovery.

The short version is that the top slabbed Wagner (the same one Mastro pled guilty to trimming without disclosure that some people really want to deny) and Plank came from a sheet, supposedly. This is almost certainly a misnomer, as the find does not indicate a full sheet of cards based on what we know of T card printing. Presumably it is actually partially panels or strips. They must have been cut down from something. Almost everything said specifically relies on a single witness' testimony at each part, and so the truth is largely a mystery with everybody's agenda dictating their outcomes. There probably was some sort of uncut material here to birth these cut out cards.
Old 05-05-2023, 05:43 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
You can only control your own sale.
Something that I still struggle with when it comes to cards that need disclosures. For a while we refused to sell them because of their potential impact on the hobby down the line. I finally decided that I have to be ethical but I can't enforce ethical behavior on others. I'm sure people are out there doctoring legit cards they bought from us, so if I can't prevent that what's the difference on a trimmed or recolored card as long as I disclose it.

Of course it still gives me pause, but I can only be responsible for my own actions.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-05-2023, 05:50 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
The same reason you don't see hardly anyone else here and on Blowout voicing their opinion despite a large percentage of collectors saying they see nothing wrong with it in anonymous polls. They see the public outlash and don't want that pointed in their direction.
Logic issue here. Why would there be "public outlash" if the hobby was OK with it?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-05-2023, 06:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Something that I still struggle with when it comes to cards that need disclosures. For a while we refused to sell them because of their potential impact on the hobby down the line. I finally decided that I have to be ethical but I can't enforce ethical behavior on others. I'm sure people are out there doctoring legit cards they bought from us, so if I can't prevent that what's the difference on a trimmed or recolored card as long as I disclose it.

Of course it still gives me pause, but I can only be responsible for my own actions.
That's all you can reasonably do, I agree.