NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-10-2013, 08:20 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default Set Consistency

I am finishing at '53 Topps set...again. I have a little start on '54 Topps and might come back to it. Next up, I am really thinking of '56 or '57 Topps because I think I could build a little higher grade of a set. With that said, I have learned a lot about consistency within a set. No matter which set I go after, the cards will all fall in the same range on qualities such as centering, registry, focus, etc. I expect the set will be a graded one. What do you think about a set that is largely graded in the 7 to 8 range (and high end examples of those grades) but the Mantle, which usually ends up being the most expensive card, coming in in the 6 range?? This Mantle graded a 6 would possess the qualities of the 7s and 8s in terms of centering, etc., but it would be a 6 while most of the rest of the set would be 7s or 8s. Would this look odd? I try not to get too hung up on what the holder says, it is more about eye appeal for me. I buy the card, not the holder. Would buying a Mantle a notch below the other cards look cheap?
Old 06-10-2013, 08:24 PM

Look cheap to whom?
Old 06-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Patrick N.

Default 1

I don't think one card being a grade lesser than the rest would significantly impact the overall value of the set other than a couple hundred bucks in the case of a Mantle. Me personally don't think it's worth the extra $10/ea. per common to have it slabbed a "7" when likewise raw cards can be bought cheaper, albeit you have to be patient for them
Old 06-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Wes

All my sets are raw, but naturally the tough hits will come up with dinged corners, unless you wanna obviously pay. My pre war collection is small, but mostly slabbed.
I do always hear "buy the card, not the slab." However, sometimes I feel it to be a double standard of sorts. I say if you buy the card, not the slab, then dont buy slabbed cards!
But to answer your question more specifically, "no" I dont think its cheap. Good luck!

-wes....

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-10-2013, 09:11 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default Set Consistency

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
I don't think one card being a grade lesser than the rest would significantly impact the overall value of the set other than a couple hundred bucks in the case of a Mantle. Me personally don't think it's worth the extra $10/ea. per common to have it slabbed a "7" when likewise raw cards can be bought cheaper, albeit you have to be patient for them
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. It's just maddening that dealers like the Battersbox and others who have NM commons ask almost as much for their raw cards as those selling slabbed commons deemed a "7". Honest to goodness auctions seem to be a thing of the past. It is hard to find high quality raw material where I live.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Wes

Good point, I do agree. Good luck, stay on track

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-11-2013, 05:36 AM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. It's just maddening that dealers like the Battersbox and others who have NM commons ask almost as much for their raw cards as those selling slabbed commons deemed a "7". Honest to goodness auctions seem to be a thing of the past. It is hard to find high quality raw material where I live.
I've been really impressed with Dean's Cards so far. His prices are very fair and his customer service is great. If you are trying to pick up raw commons to fill out a set, I would recommend checking his site out.

Last edited by Bestdj777; 06-11-2013 at 05:36 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:03 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
I've been really impressed with Dean's Cards so far. His prices are very fair and his customer service is great. If you are trying to pick up raw commons to fill out a set, I would recommend checking his site out.
Are you serious or is that a plug for Dean's Cards?

If you do an eBay search for "1956 Topps NM Dean's Cards -psa, -sgc" there are 149 results. In other words, you're searching raw cards only. Of those raw cards, the least of which is priced $49.99...for a raw NM common. Most of his '56 commons average about $60-$70 in NM condition. I agree with the customer service part, but how is $60-$70 for a NM raw 1956 Topps common a "fair price"?

To answer the original question, collect the way you like. To me, I like to have consistency. If I was builing a '56 set (which I am), I try to stick within half a grade (which I do). My '56 set is all graded between 7 and 7.5.

I was having this same conversation with another board member yesterday via PM. I had a sub that just popped and, to my surprise, there were a couple of 8s in there. Since I'm building the set for fun and not to compete on the registry, I was telling the other board member that I was going to take those 8s and sell them or trade down. They're out of place with the rest of the set because they're the only two in there. Likewise, I had a few 6s pop that I thought would have been 7s, so I will sell those as well.

If I were doing a broader range set (say from like 5.5 to 7.5), then it's not that big a deal. But when you have all 7s, then yes, I think a 6 would look out of place with your set (assuming that's the only one). That's just me though. As I said at first, collect the way you like.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:45 AM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Battersbox - I was tired of buying "NM" cards to have them show up with creases...looking at his feedback alone shows buying cards from him is a gamble. I will however say his prices are super cheap for buying raw cards to fill sets. I just wouldn't recommend his grading.

Deans Cards - My wife for Christmas bought some cards off one of my set lists needs. Great cards and she said his customer service was top notch. She hates ebay and liked he took the time to talk to her on the phone, and he even followed up with a call to make sure the cards arrived and were satisfactory. I was really impressed. I finally got the cost out of her and found the price to be above ebay...enough to where me personally wouldn't go there. BUT...I wouldn't discourage any gifts from the wife and it is about service and trust with her, not knowing anything about cards. I really appreciate that.

Just wanted to pass on my .02$

I try and keep my sets in the same raw grade the best I can. I know sets are judged on the stars, so I try and make them the highest grade I can...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 06-11-2013, 01:05 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
Battersbox - I was tired of buying "NM" cards to have them show up with creases...looking at his feedback alone shows buying cards from him is a gamble. I will however say his prices are super cheap for buying raw cards to fill sets. I just wouldn't recommend his grading.

Deans Cards - My wife for Christmas bought some cards off one of my set lists needs. Great cards and she said his customer service was top notch. She hates ebay and liked he took the time to talk to her on the phone, and he even followed up with a call to make sure the cards arrived and were satisfactory. I was really impressed. I finally got the cost out of her and found the price to be above ebay...enough to where me personally wouldn't go there. BUT...I wouldn't discourage any gifts from the wife and it is about service and trust with her, not knowing anything about cards. I really appreciate that.

I try and keep my sets in the same raw grade the best I can. I know sets are judged on the stars, so I try and make them the highest grade I can...
I hear you loud and clear on Battersbox. Most of the time, the experience is ok. However, I have landed my share of stinkers. I will say, they are prompt when it comes to refunds. It has been my experience that many of his cards are about a half to a full grade below what he advertises. I had sworn Battersbox off for good but have found myself back looking again lately. Their prices are fairly competitive.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:46 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I will also add that makes me just want to buy graded cards and be spared the disappointment....
Old 06-11-2013, 02:32 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
I will also add that makes me just want to buy graded cards and be spared the disappointment....
If you're buying raw commons to submit for grading, it's almost always a losing proposition. It's kind of like busting vintage wax looking to make a profit. Sure, you'll get some grades you want, but you'll also get some that leave you scratching your head and very disappointed.

If that is your plan then yes, you are much better off to buy the cards already graded.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:44 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
If you're buying raw commons to submit for grading, it's almost always a losing proposition. It's kind of like busting vintage wax looking to make a profit. Sure, you'll get some grades you want, but you'll also get some that leave you scratching your head and very disappointed.

If that is your plan then yes, you are much better off to buy the cards already graded.
I have always been happy to have raw commons and graded stars. There have been some exceptions to this rule, but I generally have followed it.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:23 PM
Chris

David, I was being serious. I don't have any affiliation at all with Deans Cards but have been impressed with their selection and prices. I only collect Mantle cards and usually low grade. Their prices seem a lot closer to market than many that I see on ebay (may just be for the lower grade stuff but I assumed they would be fair across the board). Some of their prices are a bit lower than i paid for my cards. Anyway, it is always a good idea to price shop before making a purchase, but in doing so they are worth checking out.

Chris
Old 06-13-2013, 06:59 AM

Default Auctions

Quote:
You are right auctions seem to be a thing of the past, particularly for items you really want! Murphy's Law of Vintage Collecting, I guess.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:08 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post

I have had a little recent experience with Joe's Vintage Sports Cards. So far, what I have purchased and looked at seems to be graded fairly conservatively.