NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-20-2013, 11:35 AM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

Default Anyone here collect 1887 Old Judge baseball cards?

I want to buy a few (1-2 to start) but the internet says there are 3500 cards in the set that is just crazy....how does one know what he is buying and how do you determine rarity??? Or do people just buy random cards mostly?

Do people mostly buy PSA or SGC for this set or are they both accepted?
Old 03-20-2013, 11:57 AM
seablaster@yahoo.com

You'll find a lot of N54 members collect OJs, but they are not discussed as frequently at T206s.

The set is close to, if not entirely impossible to complete due to the absolute rarity of some of the cards.

People collect certain teams, players, etc., whatever they find to be important to them.

With OJs in particular, most collectors tend to not focus on the numerical grade. The key features of the cards are the clarity and contrast of the images.

Try to become versed in them before purchasing a few. It will give you more of an appreciation for the complexities of the set.

Most of us would also suggest obtaining a copy of the Old Judge book by Gonsowski, Masson, and Miller. It's a great book and definitely worth the cost.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:01 PM

Default Seablaster

+1 i love ojs, but t206 more
Old 03-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Dan Bretta

A complete set would be impossible because many of the cards are so scarce and in collections that will never be liquidated that a few collectors try for a player set which I believe is in the 500+ card range...which is also really impossible for the same reason above. There are lots of collectors who collect by team or try to get every pose for a certain player.

As far as grading goes, most N172 collectors that I know don't worry about who graded it because both PSA and SGC don't seem to take the actual photo on the card into account when grading it, and faded cards can have much higher grades than cards that might grade a 1 or 2 which have excellent clarity. IOW grading doesn't seem to matter to most Old Judge collectors.

edited to add: Seablaster beat me to everything I said in this post.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 03-20-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Joe M.

If you find one you like buy it. They don't come up for sale that often, especially the Detroit Players I need.

I was hoping this post was about someone looking to sell.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13

Last edited by jcmtiger; 03-20-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:22 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Buy the book listed above first, its the best reference for OJ's!
Old 03-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

Thanks a lot guys does anyone have a link to the book mentioned above?
Old 03-20-2013, 12:33 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Here is a link, pass over the one for 199.99 as another is listed for 79.99.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

I see one on ebay but its by a low feedback seller so buyer beware.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Dan Bretta

There are currently three available with BIN on ebay...but you might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere. I could not find one on Amazon.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:55 PM
D@ve R1cks

Definitely, definitely get the book. It is WELL worth it, and at $70 or so you will probably pay less for that book than most any single OJ card that's out there.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:25 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by honus94566 View Post
Definitely, definitely get the book. It is WELL worth it, and at $70 or so you will probably pay less for that book than most any single OJ card that's out there.
Plus you can enjoy 99.1% of the set.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

Thanks I appreciate all the help!!!
Old 03-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

Just purchased the book mentioned above from Beverly Hills the seller has 100% positive feedback:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/121027156757?...84.m1497.l2649
Old 03-20-2013, 01:45 PM
Jeremy W.

Smart buy. Even if you end up not collecting the OJ cards, you still have a great book & reference tool.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:58 PM
Matt Hall

The book is great. Now you'll get to see all the great cards that never come up for sale.

I do the opposite of what most OJ collectors do. I don't care who or what the player/team is. If I see a card with a nice photo and I can afford it at the moment, I'll buy it. It's been a great way to collect the set for me. All of my cards have uniform photo quality. I'm afraid that if I start collecting a specific team, I'll start settling for lesser quality just to get a card I need.

It depends on what kind of collector you are. If you feel like you need to complete something, don't collect my way. I'll never complete anything, but over the last four years I've put together a nice looking group of cards without spending that much.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:36 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew H View Post
The book is great. Now you'll get to see all the great cards that never come up for sale.

I do the opposite of what most OJ collectors do. I don't care who or what the player/team is. If I see a card with a nice photo and I can afford it at the moment, I'll buy it. It's been a great way to collect the set for me. All of my cards have uniform photo quality. I'm afraid that if I start collecting a specific team, I'll start settling for lesser quality just to get a card I need.

It depends on what kind of collector you are. If you feel like you need to complete something, don't collect my way. I'll never complete anything, but over the last four years I've put together a nice looking group of cards without spending that much.

Yes, I collect Detroit cards and need 2 cards to complete the 1887 Team set. I am considering another subset, any suggestions.

Joe

N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 03-20-2013, 05:10 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
Yes, I collect Detroit cards and need 2 cards to complete the 1887 Team set. I am considering another subset, any suggestions.

Joe
That's a great accomplishment Joe. I've never looked into a subset because I love them all, and I don't feel the need to complete anything. I do like Des Moines team though.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew H View Post
That's a great accomplishment Joe. I've never looked into a subset because I love them all, and I don't feel the need to complete anything. I do like Des Moines team though.
I do have an idea, collect OJ cards of players that played for Detroit, but don't have a card for Detroit, but have cards for other teams. I will look into Des Moines though.

Joe

Old 03-20-2013, 06:02 PM
Joe Gonsowski

I'm one of several who collect only Detroit but enjoy studying the whole set. Collecting by team can be very rewarding. You can start going after a single example of every player and then extend that to all the poses if you're up for the challenge that may very well last a lifetime. Some teams and subsets are easy than others. As an example, the 1887 Detroit cards are easiest, 1888 are most difficult, and 1889 somewhere in-between.

Des Moines would be a tough team set, particularly the players who only have 1888 cards. There are other subsets to consider including Browns Champs, HOFers, particular year or type such as Script or numbered, pose types (2-player, sliding, portraits, horizontals), one from each team in particular League/Association, and the ever popular team subset. The set is loaded with so much history. Hope you enjoy the book when it arrives, it will give you a good idea of what the set has to offer.

One potential subset was just discussed over the past weekend but is probably a couple pages buried by now. It was a discussion on 1889 International Association cards. You might want to check that out as well.

Joe M., keep your focus, the last two cards will surface. If you want to know the players on the 1887 Championship team who weren't introduced to the set until a later year with another team, they are as follows:

Ed Beatin
Charlie Bennett
Fred Dunlap
Henry Gruber
Jimmy Manning
Bill Shindle
Sy Sutcliffe (only played in World Championship)

Between them, they have 38 poses for which I still need a handful. This subset is actually larger than the 1887 Detroit run of 28 cards.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 03-20-2013, 07:11 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G. View Post
I'm one of several who collect only Detroit but enjoy studying the whole set. Collecting by team can be very rewarding. You can start going after a single example of every player and then extend that to all the poses if you're up for the challenge that may very well last a lifetime. Some teams and subsets are easy than others. As an example, the 1887 Detroit cards are easiest, 1888 are most difficult, and 1889 somewhere in-between.

Des Moines would be a tough team set, particularly the players who only have 1888 cards. There are other subsets to consider including Browns Champs, HOFers, particular year or type such as Script or numbered, pose types (2-player, sliding, portraits, horizontals), one from each team in particular League/Association, and the ever popular team subset. The set is loaded with so much history. Hope you enjoy the book when it arrives, it will give you a good idea of what the set has to offer.

One potential subset was just discussed over the past weekend but is probably a couple pages buried by now. It was a discussion on 1889 International Association cards. You might want to check that out as well.

Joe M., keep your focus, the last two cards will surface. If you want to know the players on the 1887 Championship team who weren't introduced to the set until a later year with another team, they are as follows:

Ed Beatin
Charlie Bennett
Fred Dunlap
Henry Gruber
Jimmy Manning
Bill Shindle
Sy Sutcliffe (only played in World Championship)

Between them, they have 38 poses for which I still need a handful. This subset is actually larger than the 1887 Detroit run of 28 cards.
Hi Joe, yes I have those players on my list. Of course I got them from you in previous correspondence. 38 poses is a lot, maybe I will pick up 1 of each.

And the International Association cards are still on my list too. Have 2 right now , Campau and Goodfellow.

joe

Last edited by jcmtiger; 03-20-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:07 PM
Dan Bretta

I was collecting the Omaha team for a few years. There are some near impossibles in that subset though and I gave up.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:12 PM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

How do you know for what team the player plays for there is no information on the cards?
Old 03-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Rob

I have always tried to buy the cards I liked. I have 2 -4 cards of some players, but mostly I buy what I can when I can. Mostly when I see a card I really want, I lose the auction by a mile, but sometimes I win a few.

Follow the cards for a few months at auction and when you see a card that you like that has not shown up before, then try to buy it. Some cards like California Brown are as easy as a T206 superprint, others almost never surface. Another great reference book for the n172 and similar sets is Lew Lipset's The Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards which you can find in paperback on ebay etc. Good Luck...
ojmcgeachy038.jpg
Old 03-20-2013, 08:43 PM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

RCMcKenzie's:

Nice cards!!! I will take my time for sure.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:11 PM

N172s are addictive. I started with just a few examples and now have nearly 150 different....and I feel like a beginner compared with many board members here. There are lots of ways to do it and many subsets. Browns Champions are a cool subset. I mostly just collect the ones I like.
JimB

Old 03-20-2013, 09:19 PM
Ken Wirt

I never get tired of seeing that Comiskey of yours, Jim!! Fantastic card!

Last edited by triwak; 03-20-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:58 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Good luck with your Old Judge collecting. As others have said, get the Old Judge book (and read it) before you start buying cards. It will help you determine a path to follow and increase your enjoyment along the way.

Jay
Old 03-20-2013, 11:10 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Amazing cards love em. Jay you collect these when did this happen?
Old 03-20-2013, 11:31 PM
Rob

12 - 15 years ago there was an Old Judge HHH (Hand Held High) Connie Mack on ebay at no reserve. I placed a bid at $750 with 15 minutes to go and won the card. Two weeks later I had to pay a water bill and sold the card for $780.

I was fortunate to find a replacement a few months ago

ojjconniemack039.jpg in the 900's.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:05 AM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

How are cards graded authentic perceived by the community collecting this series? I know for example a 1933 Goudey or 52 Topps would be looked down on...but is it different for for such old cards as these?

I do not mean any disrespect just trying to learn.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:14 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone91 View Post
How are cards graded authentic perceived by the community collecting this series? I know for example a 1933 Goudey or 52 Topps would be looked down on...but is it different for for such old cards as these?

I do not mean any disrespect just trying to learn.
As long as the Old Judge ad isn't cut off the top or bottom, the Auth designation doesn't bother me, I take them out of the slabs anyway. There are more OJs incorrectly graded Auth then any other issue IMO. Also, look out for altered cards with numerical grades. Good luck, as Jim B said, OJs are addictive.

Great cards btw Jim!
Old 03-21-2013, 02:11 PM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

Default Just picked up my very 1st 1887 Old Judge baseball card

After doing recherche all day I cam upon a great pitcher who still holds the record for all time lowest ERA (under 1)....Tim Keefe:

Link:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/200894525290?...84.m1497.l2649

Ebay Item number: 200894525290

Next one I buy I will wait for my book and read a LOT before making another move.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:52 PM
Ja,mie B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone91 View Post
After doing recherche all day I cam upon a great pitcher who still holds the record for all time lowest ERA (under 1)....Tim Keefe:

Link:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/200894525290?...84.m1497.l2649

Ebay Item number: 200894525290

Next one I buy I will wait for my book and read a LOT before making another move.
Congrats, that is a nice OJ. I almost bid on it when it was on auction a few months ago. I like that pose and it's got a pretty good image. Keefe may have been the best of 19th cent. pitchers. Keefe or Pud Galvin, it is subject to debate. But it is a nice card and not a bad start to OJ collecting.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:33 PM
Rob

Default N173 Keefe

n173keefe040.jpg

This N173 Keefe arrived today. It is in an Aut holder for the corner cut. I usually buy low grade cards because I like the bargain prices.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:50 PM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

Thanks guys for the motivation and kind words!!!

Very nice Keefe card you have there!!!

Last edited by Zone91; 03-21-2013 at 04:51 PM.