NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-05-2013, 10:10 AM

Default i am wresting with this

I complete a set and the chase is over. Will I ever look at it again? Do I have a bond to it?
Have you in your collection a set you completed and then sold it off because the kids college $ is better than a binder of cards?
I would never sell my Playballs-it was started by my uncle in 1939.
I would not sell anything before 1975. After that - I have no attachment. I bought the complete sets from 1976-2000 and NEVER looked at any card.
I am thinking of dumping what I do not have a passion for.
But sell it where? No one wants a 1988 Topps set.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:30 AM
M!ke S@il£r

I think it is natural to sell completed sets and move on to the next project. Collectors are actually providing a valuable service to the hobby by breaking up their complete sets so other collectors can enjoy the same chase. If every collector that put together a set kept it, it would be pretty difficult for new collectors to accomplish anything. I have started and sold off several sets both pre and post WWII sets several times over the years. I generally lose money doing so, but the entertainment value is priceless.

In my opinion, it is probably best to find a local buyer for newer sets such as the ones you mentioned. There is always somebody looking to fill up their closet with complete sets.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:02 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default sets

interesting topic

I also enjoy putting together older sets...and most times when Im done..Im looking to sell or trade them .Im trying to unload a 35 Goudey complete set now..and its not as easy as it seems...I think most collectors dont have huge money to buy an older set in one shot.

Fortunetly for me..when I sell a set..it not that I need the money for an emergency/family/expenses,etc..., its just to get me cash to start an even tougher/ more expensive set

I knew a collector who wore a toupee..and every time he needed a new one...he would sell a complete set of cards...he later stopped wearing toupees !

Ral G
Old 06-05-2013, 06:08 PM

Huggins and Scott Auctions often sells large lots including modern sets...if you plan to sell them. I sold off all of my post 1979 Topps set for the same reason...bought it and put them in the binder...but then never looked again..

Ricky Y
Old 06-06-2013, 06:44 PM

Default Sets

I always end up keeping my sets. It is too hard to seel something I've worked so hard at completing. As an aside, I never sell the cards I've upgraded either. Just sort of hang on to everything.

Z Wheat
Old 06-07-2013, 05:15 AM
Steve

We all struggle with emotional attachments to things we would be better off without. But maybe that's part of what makes us human. Who would invest the time, energy and funds in completing a set unless each card meant something special? It's what separates collectors from speculators.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:32 AM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default sets

Yes,
I agree the atachment to cards and sets is a strong bond. They make a bonding adhesive that men use to hold their hair pieces on their heads also..but I think the baseball card bond is stronger
Old 06-08-2013, 01:35 PM

Hangman62: Is that toupee bonding agent Topps bubble gum slabs from the 1970's?
Old 06-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default sets

No,
Topps didn't start using their gum as a toupee bonding agent until well into the early 80s