NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-05-2013, 07:23 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default Collecting raw

Those of you who prefer raw cards, do you typically buy raw or buy graded and crack out? If so, do you save TPG grader label? What about the star cards in the sets you are building?
Old 06-05-2013, 11:33 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Those of you who prefer raw cards, do you typically buy raw or buy graded and crack out? If so, do you save TPG grader label? What about the star cards in the sets you are building?
I buy both...and crack anything graded. I do save the labels, although I don't know why. If I was a buyer on something raw I wouldn't care if they had the labels, who is to say it belongs to that card? The only thing I like about graded cards is busting them out, and I have done a LOT. I do have to say though, I could care less about the investment part of this hobby...I love the cards, and these are all for my 8 year old son...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 06-06-2013, 09:01 AM
Joe

I am a newbie to the Netbaseball forum but here is my 2 cents on this subject. I collect only vintage Cleveland Indians and have built an extensive collection over the past 30 yrs. I find that professional grading is a marketing scam and graded cards are overpriced. I do not need to pay someone to look at my card and deem it as "Very Good". I believe I have enough intelligence to look at a card at determine its condition without using too much brain power. Also the slabs are too bulky for high volume storage. I do buy graded cards if the price is right but crack them as soon as I receive them. I have saved the grader labels but not sure why. The only value I see in professional grading is authentication but I think I buy from reputable sellers so I have not had any problems with buying fakes or reprints. Maybe I am a little lucky also.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:52 AM

If you are a VG-EX collector why would you buy graded cards in that range unless you don't know enough about them and are worried they are reproductions/fakes/counterfeits?? There are probably hundreds of thousands of us who collect in that range.

If you want NM and up only, I suppose you had better go graded, but then I suspect you are collecting as much for investing/retirement as anything.

I have a few graded cards I picked up on Ebay, and left in the slabs, but most of my stuff is for my collection, not my retirement.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I prefer GRADED..for the fact i one day will be handing these down to my Nephew.
Its more like preservation...and with it labeled, he wont have to look it up what it is neither.
Needless to say..I think the name Mickey Mantle was still be around.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 06-06-2013, 04:46 PM
Steve Birmingham

I collect mostly ungraded cards. I probably have a slight advantage of having collected when most shops had stacks if not entire boxes full of most postwar sets. So I don't have much worry about knowing if the cards are real or not.

I'm ambivalent about grading. I figure grades 1- 6 or 7 are the old familiar grades. P, F, G,VG, EX and MT. Unless you're super fussy about grade anything 7 and up is a very nice card.
But if you are picky, or collecting some of the more expensive cards I think it can be a good thing for a few reasons.

The first is that it gives an opinion that's supposedly unbiased. And that means outside the influence of wether that 55 Topps is a common or a Clemente, and outside the excitement of "discovering" the card. (How many of us have "found" a really great card that seems to develop more problems the longer we own it? I know I've done that at flea markets, bought a really nice 50's card only to spot a bunch of stuff that I didn't notice when it was new and exciting. )

The second is hopefully a bit of an unbiased technical look that should catch most alterationswhen a buyer might not have the tools handy. Yeah, that means some factory crads with some oddity like being originally cut small will get rejected. same for ones with odd cuts. But hopefully most of the amateur trimmings get caught. And as the prices get higher, the temptation for a seller to enhance a card is also a bit more.

All of that also limits the old "it's excellent for its age" that so many dealers used to go with. Nope, excellent is excellent no matter wether it's from 1910 or 2010.

And to a point, as much as we might hate to admit it, there are a few cards that really aren't around in really amazing condition. I went through around 15000 81 topps I had, looking for only the really nice ones. I had maybe 2-300. Out of those only 6-7 were ones that seemed worth grading because none of the companies had done many or any perfect ones. They still only came back as 8s or lower. 81 Topps are really common, and really cheap. But if for some reason you want perfect ones, they really aren't that common.
If a card is really that nice, I don't have any problem with having it graded.

Steve B
Old 06-06-2013, 07:27 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

It looks like there is a real mixture here...a lot of good points have been made. I am on the fence. Traditionally, in set building, most of my commons are pretty nice but raw. My stars are all slabbed. I do worry about trimming, alterations, etc so I buy them slabbed or buy raw and immediately submit them for grading. My '53 Topps baseball set grades out overall mid-grade: the graded cards range from 5-7 (the Mantle is an uncreased 4). The raw commons would fall in this range, too. I have eliminated creases/wrinkles from the set. There are probably a couple that need to be replaced because of centering.

Anyway, my problem is becoming one of storage/display. I have all the star cards to the '53 and what I have acquired so far in '54 in a separate storage box (all slabbed). Meanwhile, the commons to the '53 set are all in a separate storage box, and the '54s likewise...all in Cardsaver 1s. I keep reading about storage of vintage sets in binders. I was skeptical, but I have really started liking what I see from toploaderbinder.com. I guess it bothers me that I wouldn't be able to get my set all together for viewing in the binder because the stars (and a few commons) are slabbed. I like the idea of raw cards, and I wish I had the guts and conviction of Harliduck to crack my slabs. I am a collector and not a dealer/investor. I collect because I absolutely love 1952-1958 Topps baseball cards. I just cannot get enough. I know there's no wrong way to collect, but I feel like I need to make a choice. Help?!
Old 06-06-2013, 08:45 PM
Chris

I have a mixture of graded/ungraded. With the exception of a few commonly faked cards (Mantle rookies; Bazookas), I won't pay a premium for graded cards. I do like them in the holder though because every so often I like to spread my cards out on the floor or bed and flip through them. I like the added protection. Plus, my dog can walk across them and I don't have to worry about them.

If your concern is display, have you considered putting the commons in the binder and displaying your star, graded cards out on the same shelf? The few cards I don't have in a shoe box are out on my book shelf so that I can look at them and get enjoyment out of them.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:54 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I absolutely abhor the word 'raw,' but that's all I collect unless there's little or no way around it. As time moves on, though, I do realize that grading is the way of the future, so I'm certain some time soon I'll begin having my cards graded.

But to me, baseball cards are such a direct connection to the carefree beauty of youth. When I look at my 1972 set in its binder, for example, I can remember right back to that summer, trading with my friends, flipping with my brothers and on and on. It is a great feeling to relive those wonderful lost days of yesterday in my mind, and touching those cards and smelling the waxy, gummy remnants on the cardboard is priceless. Now, if I'm looking at or holding a graded slab in my hands...I feel nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:43 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

I buy ungraded cards. When I buy graded, I look for cards that are undergraded in my opinion. I will crack the slab, and save only the card. I have always been able to find reasonably priced cards buying ungraded. Since the cards are for my collection only, I am not looking for graded and the additional expenses involved.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:40 AM
Al Richter

Default Ungraded Cards

Daren...I agree with you. My cards are not "raw". They are cards in their natural state....as was intended...not imprisoned in plastic with someone stranger's opinion plastered on them

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 06-07-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:58 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Daren...I agree with you. My cards are not "raw". They are cards in their natural state....as was intended...not imprisoned in plastic with someone stranger's opinion plastered on them
Dude, you really gotta start spelling my name correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:42 AM
Steve

I had to buy some slabs to complete sets simply because those cards were so valuable they were not available ungraded. But, after some trepidation, I managed to liberate them from their tombs...you just can't get that delectible ancient paper smell from a plastic case.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:33 PM

I'll get the handle of editing a post someday

Last edited by BobH; 06-07-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:33 PM

woops double edit

Last edited by BobH; 06-07-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
I had to buy some slabs to complete sets simply because those cards were so valuable they were not available ungraded. But, after some trepidation, I managed to liberate them from their tombs...you just can't get that delectible ancient paper smell from a plastic case.
I didn't think ANYBODY removed the exalted "PSA" slabbed cards from their sacred holders. I do all the time....... I prefer the raw cards or cards in their natural state over the slabbed cards. My entire 70-79 Topps Baseball Stars,LL and HOF collection is raw, About 1/2 cracked from PSA 6,7,and 8's and the other 1/2 bought raw. I haven't removed a PSA 9 that I managed to get for a good price from its holder. But I don't have very many. My Mantle collection is entirely raw from reputable Ebay sellers and card show dealers. I'm sure a few of them may have been altered. Someday if I ever want to sell the higher dollar cards I will have to grade them or re-grade them. But until that day i will continue to enjoy them. We can always grade them and consign them to a AH or Ebay seller if we had to. I imagine my nieces and nephews couldn't get them sold fast enough.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Al Richter

Default Darren..

...my name is not Dude...it's Al
Old 06-09-2013, 04:55 AM
Steve

Wink Generational...

...term of affection, as in, "Dude, where's my Campos variation?!"
Old 06-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Dude, you really gotta start spelling my name correctly.
It's D@r.rΣn, right?

Old guys like me and Al have a hard time with the way you kidz spell these days...
Old 06-10-2013, 11:37 AM

I'm 2/3 of the way through a 1960 raw set. I pretty much buy on ebay and use only a few sellers who reliably grade their cards accurately. About 20 of the star cards were either graded cards I had, or I was able to buy for the same prices raw cards are going for.

Most of the cards I'm looking at are in the ExMt range and its a range where "old school" grading is a DRASTIC difference from modern TPG. I was burned more than enough times by old school grading(four badly rounded corners does NOT mean a card is "about exmt"). Really I resent the dishonesty and unethical behavior that existed on the part of MOST dealers prior to the wide availability of TPG slabbed cards.

Anyway, I do crack the cards out of the slabs and do not save the labels. The cards I have thus far in the set present really well, even with some touches of wear on the corners.

The big cards remaining for me are the Mantle, Maris, Koufax, Clemente, Musial and Yaz. Most definitely the Mantle and Yaz will be slabbed purchases and probably the others as well. I picked up most of the all stars already and made sure the Mantle AS and Mantle/Boyer were TPG cards....I think the Mantles are most likely to be trimmed.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:50 PM

I prefer raw cards, but haven't broken out any graded ones yet. The holders help keep me from confusing cards. For instance, if this was out of a holder, I might think it was a '53 Dixie Lid...

54Dixie.jpg
Old 06-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
it's d@r.rΣn, right?
lmao!